Home Technical Talk

Wacom, wacom, WACOM!!!!

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
i was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them before. sometimes my wacom acts strange, the cursor just starts shaking randomly, and it doesn't behave like it normally does. It makes painting or drawing quite difficult. I seems to do it when I'm zoomed in at times, or if I'm zoomed out sometimes. It stops if I zoom in when the shaking starts if I'm zoomed out, most of the time, or vice versa, Sounds confusing, well it is! LOL, It's fairly annoying. Is this just a memory issue with Photoshop or is it the Wacom tablet. I liked to say it was me, but if it was me it would do it all the time, no? Anyone else have this problem? Thanks

Alex

Replies

• Wicked-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not quite sure what the source of the problem is but I have experienced similar issues with my wacom. Usually I have no problems for a stretch of a month or two but sooner or later my wacom starts to flicker, zooming in and out like you said.

My issue might be with the driver I have installed. All I do for a temporary fix is uninstall my wacom tablet and reinstall the driver. This seems to fix the problem for a number of months. Unfortunately the issue returns to haunt me, so I have to repeat the process in erasing and reinstalling... It's annoying. :poly127:
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Well, I have never had this issue before, but unless the touch strip is dusty or something; I would guess it has to be the drivers. I remember my wacom not working at all unless I updated the drivers when Mudbox 2009 came out.
    So yeah, update the drivers, I bet it will fix your issues.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I was thinking of just adding more ram to my machine to see if that made a difference. Right now I only have a gig of ram. I don't remember this happening on the Macs a few years ago, okay like ten years ago when 96 megs of ram was cutting edge. 96 megs???? Damn that's a long time ago, LOL I'm running on xp now with a gig of ram. It does it when other apps are open or when nothing but Photoshop is opened. Has anyone noticed this before Photoshop CS came to the world?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    if its zooming in and out like crazy try disabling the touch strips set to zoom on the side if its an intuos, mine always gets crazy if you brush them lightly or even tap them by accident, after disabling them ive had no problems since.

** looks like brad beat me to it :P
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I tried updating the drivers and after a few months the damn machine wouldn't like them. I was stunned to say the least. I reverted to the drivers that shipped with my wacom and it fixed the problem with my system not know what tablet I had. I might try updating again and see if that helps. It's just weird.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Nah it doesn't zoom in and out like crazy, thank god. It shakes like crazy, the cursor when you put the stylus close to the tablet wyen you are just about to paint. It also doesn't draw or paint normally while it does this. It just doesn't want to draw an arc for example. The problem seems to go away if I zoom in if I'm zoomed out, or if I'm zoomed in, and this shaky wacom stylus syndrome starts to happen, and zoom out and draw the problem seems to go away. I hope it's more clear now. It does it at random. Maybe my tablet is just getting old. :( It's not that old though, maybe 5 to seven years old. It's a wacom 4x5 intous 2.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I've never had any issues like you've described, but is it specific to any one program?

Also, have you tried switching out to a new pen nib to see if that might help?
  • BuCC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had simular problems with my Intous 3. In my case the cursor just doesn't respond to my actions and goes having an epilepsy seisure on its own.
    My I've managed to eliminate this by unplugging the device for a while, then reconnecting. I think my specific problem has to do with the wacom being surrounded by a magneticed field (or something to that extent), and that the field came into contact with another field. You know, a subwoofer, a fellow wacom or stuff like that.
    I'm well aware I might be very wrong both techincally and otherwise, but my theory has proven itself true, to me at least :P

P.S: I'm now a proud owner of an intous 4. It's pure sexiness. Never gave me any problems thus far:)
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I do have a sub woofer near by and of course the two monitors might do the trick too. I'll have to move some stuff around and see if that helps. Thanks for the tip BuCC. I'll try switching the drivers as well.