Home General Discussion

Laptop Helpage

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
Hey all, I'm looking into getting my first laptop, and was hoping for some recommendations on things like good companies to go with, and stuff to look out for.

I'm getting it for work, so it needs to be a PC, be able to handle modern game stuff, and I'm looking to spend up to around $2000 Canadian.

Anyways, any help would be great, cause I'm not sure what exactly to be looking for.

Replies

• Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    Most new computers in that price range have the same gear,... except for one thing. Your major hurdle is to not end up with Intel onboard video when buying PC instead of Mac. If you do end up with an intel chip - you loose. Video cards, search em out, which is on what laptop - get the best in your price range. its really your main issue since the CPU will be standard and not so necessary, wifi standard ect ect.

Oh, the best deals in Vancouver for Computer gear (at regular price) is NCIX generally - Atic sometimes has good sales but NCIX is a better company generally. Their warranty is a bit sketchy sometimes.... if warranty is huge to you - price out a laptop and get Best Buy to price match it. - dont forget to check Costco too they have good deals sometimes.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    when are the three of us going to get a beer?
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    im already drinking im just waiting for people to gather...
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    HP HDX 16! I was going to get a dell XPS but the price, features, 9600GT 512 ram and comfy keyboard sold me :) I paid $1100 in February. Runs Crysis on max settings and is my primary workstation atm.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    wow.

Lee, that sounds a little too good to be true. $1100 and it runs Crysis on max settings? reaalllyy..

interesting.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Lee3dee wrote: »
    HP HDX 16!

Wow, that laptop is a damn good deal right now. If you go to their site and customize it, you can get a bunch of goodies for free. You can upgrade to a 320GB SATA HDD, Blu-ray, and 4GB of RAM for free. All for $999. That's cheaper than most deals I've been researching recently. Damn... I sound like a commercial now :/
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys! That HP is looking great. Only problem is that flippin HP doesn't allow me to customize in Canada. On the US site I was able to customize it exactly how I'd have wanted it, here it's a pain in the ass to find the right machine. It seems like I may just not be able to customize, which is pretty lame. And NCIX and Atic don't seem to carry that line. :(

Anyways, thanks a bunch guys, was really helpful.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe call them directly and explain it. Maybe they'll do something for you... then again, HP's customer service is some of the worst customer service I've ever dealt with :/
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Necropost and Hijack!
    Sorry to bring this up but there are so many threads of laptops suggestions that I'd feel bad for creating a new one.

I'm buying my very first laptop as I'm moving to Poland in a few months, and I'll use it mainly for 3D work. I saw your sugestion of the HP HDX16, but reading the portuguese HP site they only have the HDX18 (which sounds pretty nice, as a big screen is always welcome) and as it seems it's like the Canadian one, doesn't allow custmize. I'd go with the HDX16 as that price is pretty nice, but extra screen size sounds good for me.

It's expensive as hell (1699 euros) so my question is if you guys think it worth that huge amount?
    • Intel® Core™2 Duo T9550
    • 2,66 GHz , 6 MB de cache de Nível 2
    • 4096 MB
    • 640 GB (2 x 320 GB)
    • Blu-Ray Lightscribe ROM (expesinve crap I'd get rid off if I could customize)
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT130M
    • Windows Vista® Home Premium Service Pack 1 (64 bits)