Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Naked people in a dark room - what does it mean?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Conor polycounter lvl 18
This is a freelance art installation project I've been working on for some time.

The installation involves a large cylindrical structure with 6 screens on the outside. Viewers stand on the outside and wear polarized glasses so they see the images on the screens in 3D. The images below are projected in real time onto the screens to give the impression that you can really see into the virtual space. These characters walk around inside the room performing various strange actions such as examining each other or beating themselves. Also, the viewers have a flashlight on a pedestal which they can aim to illuminate the virtual scene.

I'm not going to explain what it means, or what the story is. I'd like to hear your impressions.

What do you think of when you see this? Does it evoke any emotional response?

[edit - putting in the latest video here...]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0VoCfyLmWw[/ame]

Tech stuff - it's rendered with the XNA engine, the characters are 12k polygon models with a standard biped and 1024 textures. It's lit with 6 realtime volumetric spotlight cones. The animation is motion captured.

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    it looks rough and not polished at all (execution wise). You tried polygonal characters though honestly for such a abstract and artistic project I think other visual directions might have been a better choise - like billboard flat characters placed in a 3d space, whereas each billboard is painted or drawn in a traditional way.

If I think about nude I think about different skin tones and those look all the same with a boring shader. What about SSS (subsurface scattering), what about different ages, races, health conditions, sex (like man or woman),...

and as for the emotional response; honestly not much because like I said its rough and not polished at all no matter what direction you go with it. Improve the shader, vary skin tones and perhaps some of the models as they are not standing out either.

but maybe you should drop a few lines of what it actually is about more in detail until I write to much criticism here (because that's what I see always at first)
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this kinda reminds me of the l4d background video that plays at the main menu. where zombies just stumble around and do various things, except theyre not naked.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    It looks just like the first contact scene from I am Legend. Looks good but I'd like to see more variety in the types of characters, almost all of them are identical. Liking it so far though.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My first impressions are that it's some dodgy CG. It's not saying anything deeper than that to me.

The only emotional response is "ugh" when I realise that the tech behind the installation sounds very cool, but the first thing done with it is this grey, depressing looking thing.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Ah the naked people in the dark simulator. I've been looking forward to seeing this.

It's looking interesting. I suspect the still shots really aren't doing the entire piece any justice at all - the unusual lighting conditions are making it difficult to get a real inkling of the what the characters look like. I don't suppose you could get a video going, Conor?

You might want to give a little info on the client. It'll likely get you some better persepctive in the critiques.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    It sounds interesting but the screenshots dont really look that good yet.

My main problem with it is the way you have handled colour. Its pure white lighting and it makes the people look grey. Torch light is usually quite warm.
    Colours are one of the strongest way to cr4eate an emotional response.

Also can we get some shots of the individual models with wireframes?
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    my impression- wtf!?
    ))
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    Here's a video of an older version with different textures:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUGSuh68eM0[/ame]

and here's a couple of the characters showing 2 different texture treatments. The deformation you can see on the 'internal bodies' varies with time and location so that they seem to ripple as they move.

uml_women.jpg

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. I'll hold off on comments and responses until I hear your reactions to this video.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It does seem to be very I Am Legend-y. It's a bit more visually interesting in movement, with the folk moving in and out of the light... but it still doesn't evoke any emotions or thoughts into the intent of the piece.

Would be neat if they would respond to the flashlights somehow. Maybe have some walk towards it or follow the spotlight and some run away from it and hide in the shadows. Possibly other results like fading away or retaining a glow after being charged up. It'd make it a much more interactive exhibit rather than just being able to move the light, and probably force more behavioural introspection on the viewer as they obviously make the occupants happy or scared/uncomfortable by their actions.
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the concept behind this installation quite a bit, but these forums in general have a very condescending view of "high art", so you won't get any constructive ideas in that regard.

Since this is an installation, I would say, why not use real people instead of cg. It would actually be cheaper, and easier, and of course look 100% real. Despite that, what you have so far works great in my opinion, and I hope the project is successful.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    that sounds pretty slick for an installation, should get some really awesome responses during the show. The visuals are at a good point I think, maybe a little rough.... but the naked people are passable for the art community, but i think everyone here at polycount will get caught up in the details on them :)

What do you have for audio in the installation?

I also hope your title of it isnt "naked people in a black room," you could really shock and surprise the viewers by avoiding anything human.
  • MeteoriteMuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of the things I seemed to notice is that a lot of the people in the video are moving rather casually and just walking around. I kept thinking to myself, what are the doing? why are they there? The most interesting people to look at where the ones who weren't just walking around but the ones who actually seemed like they popped out of darkness and where crouched down looking around. If you could get more of a hazy atmosphere going on I think that would make the lighting far more interesting.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Voyage into a lunatic asylum?

The video shows off much better what's going on (and the concept) than just an image, got me thinking of 'decay' in the sense of how inner identity can 'rot', so the 'broken' models works well. Nice piece. Make sure you video peoples reactions to this installation - obviously with the applicable "may be recorded for training purposes" warning ;)
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    where's this getting setup? I'll hafta check it out after uni sometime :P

It's looking very cold and dead at the moment, which in itself is somthing but i kinda feel like it's missing some visual interest... some bounce light and ambient light maybe, some nicer rendering and SSS would be cool to see as well as colour ... just something to make it pop a bit more. It is kinda interesting looking at the different actions the people go through in there.

Anyways, i imagine it'd be totally different seeing it in person again.
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    Here's a more complete video showing the actual installation, as well as some behind the scenes stuff:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0VoCfyLmWw[/ame]

It will be on show at the Digital Volcano festival in Le Havre in France until the end of June, and after that we're hoping it will tour other festivals around the world. You can read more about it at http://unmakeablelove.org
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey that looks pretty cool to see it working for real. the flashlight idea makes a lot more sense now. very cool. hope its successful. i like how you can see the other peoples flashlight beams and even the people themselves standing behind the screens.
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    If any of you Polycounters are near France you can see this installation (along with a lot of other cool experimental digital art) at the 'Volcan Numerique' digital arts show in Le Havre starting tomorrow.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    It feels like I'm in a aquarium watching humans instead of fish