Home General Discussion

Angels & Demons

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
notman polycounter lvl 18
Anyone catch it this weekend? Is it any good? I'm trying to decide if it's theater worthy, or just wait for DVD.
I was all ready to see it this weekend, but my wife protested that it wasn't going to be worth the money at a theater. So, any thoughts?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Read the book, it was... umm... ok, hopefully the movie won't labor some of his key beefs with religion, the guy definitely has an axe to grind. If Ron Howard is doing it, it might be worth it, but then again he did do The Grinch...

Our movie nights out are limited (finding a baby sitter dealing with theater people bla blba...) so we won't be spending a movie night out on this one. Probably save it for Up or some other early summer release.
  • Farfarer
    I'm told it was better than The Davinci Code, but then that wouldn't be particularly hard to achieve.

I'm avoiding it on the basis that useless pillock Dan Brown is involved somewhere.
  • charger
    Offline / Send Message
    charger polycounter lvl 18
    Friends voted for Angels & Demons, so it was not my choice to go and see it. I went in anyway and it was very disappointing.

The first hour was very boring, there was hardly any background story or any in dept story at all. You expect to get some affinity with the characters (evil or good) in the movie, but to be honest, I didnt give a damn. I did not read the book but some of my friends did and told me a lot of information was left out. So I guess I will read the book.

The last 30 minutes of the movie where a little bit better, more action but still not that interesting.

I have more reasons why I didnt like the movie but I would spoil things I geuss. My advice, go see it at home.
  • BuCC
    I went to see since some friends wanted to go and I was a bit bored. Seeing how I had to write a reason for seeing it I guess I'm not a member of the Dan Brown fanclub.

Review: Linear, predictable, anti-climactic and mildly entertaining. I guess it's an ok movie to go see if you're just looking to kill a few hours in the company of good friends. But don't get your expectations up.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    It doesn't sound like it's worth $40 to go see (family of 4). I'll wait for the rental. Although I think I may enjoy it more than those who saw it (since I did like the first one), I think I'll reserve money for other upcoming movies. Thanks guys.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    the da vinci code was hugely disappointing, so I will probably not bother.

Has Ron Howard actually made any good films?
  • Mark Dygert
    Apollo 13 was pretty good he also did From the Earth to the Moon (HBO tv series) a few years after it. But I'm a space nerd so...

I also liked The Missing and Cinderella Man, but he's pretty hit and miss, sometimes more miss then hit. Definitely not worth going to see a movie just because he's involved.

For those that have seen it, did they play it up like a sequel? In the book it was a prequel, but the ad's I've seen sound like a it takes place after The Da Vinci Code.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    If the helicopter ending is in the movie it'll be stupid... I was like ok.. I read this far and you do something this stupid Dan Brown.. wtfuckle.
  • NyneDown
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Havent read the book but I thought the movie was pretty dope. Not a bad way to spend part of my Saturday afternoon.