Home General Discussion

The Road

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
konstruct polycounter lvl 18
Pretty crazy looking movie- written by Cormac McCarthy (No country for old men) looks to be pretty interesting.

The Road

Replies

• Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Movie may be cool, but that trailer is really at odds with the source material
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    yeah somehow not sure about this, even though on paper it sounds ace
  • [Deleted User]
    Am I the only one who read the book and thinks the trailer looks pretty great?
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    This book was really good. I'm super anxious to see this flick. It was supposed to be out in 2008 but they pushed it back. Can't wait for this. Viggo isn't who I pictured when I read the book. But he was good in History of Violence and Eastern Promises.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Daaaammmnnnn, absolutely loved the book (one of my favs) and this movie looks like its doing it justice, needs more cart though :P

For those who have read it, I don't necessarily remember the wife being apart of it too much (besides maybe some flash backs or something, it got a bit confusing at times) do you think there is going to be some sort of fleshed out prologue before the true story begins?

All I gotta say is if the kid can perform well, I think this will be a very good film.
  • [Deleted User]
    For those who have read it, I don't necessarily remember the wife being apart of it too much (besides maybe some flash backs or something, it got a bit confusing at times) do you think there is going to be some sort of fleshed out prologue before the true story begins?

Nah, I doubt it.
    Everything in the trailer was really about 80% of her role in the book, nothing extra. It's just her looking out at the disaster (whatever it is) and putting the kid in the tub, and then later her explaining why she's going to kill herself and him trying to convince her not to. Also the director said he wasn't going to explain the catastrophe that left the world as it is, which is really the only time she fits in the story.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Good to know then, I can't wait :)
  • retleks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, that trailer was just so they can pack theaters, but from what I've read they are sticking to the source material pretty tightly. One of my favorite books I read last year, though I wish I was prepared, cause it's not a book you want to read with a newborn on the way. :D
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    will definitely STOP reading this book now till I see this movie.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don't fuck it up don't fuck it up don't fuck it up...
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    I'm praying they do a good job. There's a very positive write up here:

http://www.esquire.com/features/movies/the-road-movie-review-0609?ha=1

The trailer is doing a pretty good job of misselling the film, I think. I'm not sure all the cause of the apocalypse crap (which is only ever alluded to in the book) is even in the movie. And apparently Charlize Theron's part is still fairly minor. I think Viggo Mortensen is a great choice for the dad.

I'm really excited for this and (rather perversely) hoping that they make it as bleak as possible!

Roll on October...
  • Okt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okt polycounter lvl 19
    I'm praying they do a good job. There's a very positive write up here:

http://www.esquire.com/features/movies/the-road-movie-review-0609?ha=1

After reading that I'm totally stoked to check this one out when it comes out.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    They seriously need to find a new scream soundeffect at 2:03 in to the trailer...that things been used in every freakn movie..
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    the book was one of the most depressing things i ever read, can't wait for the movie =)
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The movie looks promising. The screens I've seen show too many guns. The raiders don't really look creepy enough.

I love how intense the book got whenever they ran into other people. The dad knows the truth: Anyone they actually WANT to run into will be too smart to be found. The good guys are all hiding, like them.

When he described the procession of the army of spearmen, followed by slaves in harnesses, followed by their women, followed by random groveling rejects, I was completely overwhelmed by creepiness. Somehow it seemed real that the people hooked up as slaves, or being stored as food with their legs cut off, were people who knew life before this apocalypse.

So movie looks promising, but not really creepy ENOUGH. We'll see...

EDIT EDIT EDIT

okay I just realized there is a trailer out now, and I watched it. I'd seen the screens before, didn't realize this post included a trailer. OMG. The trailer does look very very promising.... We'll just have to see. But I have my hopes up now.

EDIT EDIT EDIT
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogunasssassin.jpg

A little of a tangent... Does the whole badass-pushing-a-shoppingcart-with-his-son thing remind anyone of shogun's assassin: Baby cart to hades?

no?
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay did anyone else notice the trailer says

Robert Duval as the old man and Guy Pearce as the veteren?

OMG.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if I can go and see it... The trailer looks good but I don't know if I'm up for another voluntary kick to the balls. But I did just get through watching Children of Men again and despite its "happy ending" its still mildly depressing. But who knows what I'll be up for in gloomy old Oct.