Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio update - Richard Kain

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
Finally got around to revamping my personal site.

http://www.willhawthorne.com

It's still very bare-bones. Only have two entries at the moment, and neither of them is really up to snuff. It's more a pimp of the actual site structure for now. The graphical layout is nothing to write home about. The real upgrade is the database back-end. It's the first time I've ever created or accessed a database, so its a significant step for me. And the few sparse pages that are currently up are designed to automatically accommodate new entries.

The home page will top out at ten entries, and the styles in the page change automatically to center however many entries are there. If I feel like it, I can have it handle additional rows, but for now I was just planning on having the one. The home page also draws the most recent updates to the database. So if I make a revision to an older piece, it will automatically be displayed on the home page again.

The gallery page is already set up to accommodate an unlimited number of rows. I'm thinking of adding categories, but that will take a little more doing. (and some changes to the database)

The details page is set up to display a larger image of each entry, and a text description. I've also added the necessary code to append custom web pages below the primary section, allowing me to flesh out more complex entries with additional content.

Replies

• jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    I like how straight forward everything is! It has a simplistic design and that is what employers are going to put up with. Think about how they have to look through tons of portfolio pages... If you can get your point across quick then you have a better chance of keeping them on your page.

The only thing you are missing is who you are and what your title is... on the first page. :D
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    The only thing you are missing is who you are and what your title is... on the first page. :D

Yes, you're right. Part of my problem is that I'm not certain what title I should append to my name. Slapping my name in the header won't be a problem. But I don't work in 3D graphics, so I've never really developed any one specialty. I'll probably have a better idea as I continue to work on expanding on my work.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    looks fine so far.

just need to get a bit of content then it will be easier to judge
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    you could always put 'Will Hawthorne - 3D artist' up there, and when you figure out whether you want to do characters, props, environment, animation, modeler, textures, or whatever. change '3D artist' in something more specific.

currently the site feels a bit empty, maybe that could be worked out a bit by using wider preview images on the front page.

for the normal mapped guy it might be a good idea to include some more imagery:
    -highpoly model (you have that)
    -lowpoly model (maybe some more angles)
    -lowpoly wires
    -texture map

i like the simplicity you're using on the website though, the gradient works well and doesnt distract and the corners look good too.. why is the left bottom corner smaller then the other 2 though?