Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

TMNT_WIPs

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
jmiles interpolator
ok.. well these guys are done, but i plan to make a whole scene, and make splinter as well.. i'd like to make a scene of their living quarters down in the sewers with them all just hanging out and eating pizza.. any ideas for narratives are appreciated too.. i might have to hunker down and finish the rest of the bunch: april, casey jones, shredder, and a foot soldier or two.. hope you all like.. later tomorrow, i can show a bit more process.. wires and t-poses and such.. tom tallians TF2 characters were the main source of inspiration for these low polys.. taught me a lot about low rez characters.. any feed back you all could give would be great.. thanks

4turtles.jpg

Replies

• snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    looks good, just wish you put a little bit more polys in the arms.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    I don't like the mouths. The main problem is the darkness of the texture, which makes it look like they all have moustaches. There also seems to be a lack of volume there. Apart from that though, they look pretty good.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Nice one.

I'd suggest simplifying the musculature, particularly around the neck and deltoid area. They're not reading terribly well at this point. Some of the textures are looking a bit muddy. Michaelangelo is mostly nice and sharp whereas Raphael is starting to lose a bit of definition through his lack of contrast.

They are coming along really well though.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    what irks me is that you took the time and texture space to give them individual skincolours, but they all have the same colour bandana.

they have oddly coloured toenails.. why not just 1 colour?
    i think you forgot to give the eyes irises and pupils, or are they white on purpose?
    their mouths look rather weird too, that single pixel in the middle. im not sure if thats just a messy brush stroke or if it's intended as a beak. in any case. the turtes ive seen in the cartoons, movie and game, have smooth mouths http://thecia.com.au/reviews/t/images/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-3.jpg
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Snader wrote: »
    what irks me is that you took the time and texture space to give them individual skincolours, but they all have the same colour bandana.

In the original comic, back when it was edgy and the turtles 'graduated' by slaughtering a street gang (issue 1!), they all wore red, and had slightly different skin tones.

As it is, it really doesn't have that "Eastman and Laird" feel, if you're going for that era...
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    tanka wrote: »
    I don't like the mouths.

They're not mouths, they're classy mustaches.
  • torontoanimator
    why are the bandanas all the same color? lol they look great, they just dont really seem to have their own personalities right now
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    why are the bandanas all the same color? lol they look great, they just dont really seem to have their own personalities right now

Because you can't read.... :) The original comics, they all had red bandana's..
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    oooh yeaaah, i remember lol yeah they had red bandanas, but i still think different colours would be better :/
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    hey all. thanks for the good comments.

@ snake85027-- i see what you're saying, but at this point i am trying to go simplistic.. i made it a point to keep under 500 tris.. i think they're about 478 right now.. however, i dont think 1 edge loop round the biceps would hurt.. i'll play w/ that

@ tanka-- actually.. that was a happy accident, in my opinion.. i know the turtles dont have pointy mouths in the cartoons or movies or comics.. i initially did have the rounded mouths.. but then when this accident came about, i kinda liked it, thot it looked cool.. in real life turtles have some what of a beak.. so i kept it..

@ Jackablade-- ah.. i see what you are saying.. yeah i believe it's an issue w/ the rig right now.. as the muscles are stretching, the pixels do too.. i'll work on them tho.. tighten up my lines.. the darks are smudging a bit.. i think mikey looks the strongest because he's in the most relaxed pose.. nothings being stretched at this point, other than his arms..and as for the texture.. i think i can agree with you.. i'll work on trying to make raphs skin contrast a little bolder.. i'm trying to keep them all within a consistent color range.. so i'll work on tweaking this a bit

@ Snader-- yeah.. like Valandar said.. i was going for the Eastman and Laird sort of look..with red bandanas and the only difference between them is their weapons and skin tones.. their body proportions in comparison to the comic aren't the same.. i wanted to make them my own, and focus on keeping the polycount low, as well as the textures.. which were painted on 128x128's.. and for their toes.. the technically are one color.. cept for the fact that i painted a little bit of light into them.. i could perhaps tone that down a bit.. but i was just trying to differentiate between toe nail and skin materials.. and toenails are slightly more specular than skin.. and i exaggerated the light on them a bit to look good from far away..

thanks for the great comments folks.. more underway.. after this week of crunch -_-*
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    my 2 cents:-
    You should go in and really work out those seams man.Remember, being low poly doesnt mean that you shouldnt give 150% seam-wise.
    If you have zbrush or bodypaint, itll only take a couple of mins :)

btw i replied about your query on DA :)
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    cankles~!

I love them.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    i think the mouth is to high on the texture... it looks like they have mustaches. lower it a bit and you'll be golden.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    Yo! It's good one!