Home Technical Talk

bollox! maya mesh recovery from buggered .mb

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
anyone know of how to recover meshes from fecked .mbs, been working in one for a while just blocking out a complex level, and i just tried reloading it, it crashes on loading as does the two file previously. i can do the work again, but ive lost one nights pondering feck

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    This is why I usually use .ma files ... they may be slightly bigger on disk and take a little longer to load, but if problems like this crop up (and they have once or twice in the past year or two), then you can usually pop the file open in a text editor and if you know what you're doing, find the problem sector (also Maya usually has better feedback in the script editor window for .ma files I think, it tells you the reason why they fail to open more than .mb).

I think if you don't have any other backups and you've tried importing / referencing them with no luck too then you're probably gonna have to do that work again.
  • Seaseme
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    I remember reading something about this a while back..

Something about opening up Maya in a command prompt and resaving-

Yeah, here

http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-164335.html
    in a command prompt just write:
    mayabatch -prompt

that runs maya in a non gui mode and you are able to enter mel commands.
    there just run the commands needed to open your scene file

about the version converter check that thread:
    http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=159402

the mcc files are cache files.. you use cloth?

cheers

alexx

edit: and no. i dont mean a defrag, but a checkdisk.
    Apparantly it worked for the original poster, its worth a shot though.

Also, maybe try this tool

http://assam.studio-gepard.pl/showfile.php?id=11
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Shepeiro, are you using Pico somehow? I got some problems with it, i just uninstalled and one of .mb is working agian.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo- curiously i wasnt using pico i was using some other custom shading, but i had installled pico a couple of days ago i will try that when i get home,

seasame, that sounds promising too

vig- tell me about it, i normally save a .ma at the end of a session, as i was half way through and noticed a missing obj, thought id load an earlier version to retreive it, with hind sight probably the first sign of a funky scene file. eeek
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    ok found out what caused it, fragmented hard drive, damn those zbrush sculpts take a long time to archive, but i had only 10 gig of fragged drive left, whoops
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    ok thought id fixed this but it appears to be something else as i have a second completely different scene doing exactly the same thing, crashes when i load and if i merge its missing meshes, gonna tr getting rid of pico

EDIT fixed thanks Bugo