Home Technical Talk

realtime viewport animation capture

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
Hello there!

I use 3ds max. I use shader FX.

Looking for help and experience to be able to capture the 3dsmax viewport while playing an animation.

Im looking for software suggestions surrounding this. Capture in high resolution a must. Fraps seems hard to start capture when not in a game, also very low resolution captures.

My plan is to maximize the viewport fullscreen to avoid trimming in editing, and to maintain a constant aspect (the aspect of my monitor).

There are issues if a game engine would be used, a machinima style animatic has been ruled out.

Replies

• Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Im sure there must be a way to do this with some kind of rendering/playblast in max?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Animation -> Make preview. Make sure you set your render size in the main render dialog to the output size you want. Even though you're not actually 'rendering' using the scanline renderer, you have to do this, as the animation preview uses your render output resolution. Then in the anim previw window, set the render percent to 100.

I just verified that it works with ShaderFX shaders.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks Slum, this definitely works with ShaderFX, thanks a lot!

There seems to be some sort of image size cap however in the preview. Ive been able to push the cap up and down by changing the render window aspect max size but its not entirely intuitive.

Does anyone know the restrictions surrounding this image size cap in 3dsmax Make Preview?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    From the max help:
    The size of the preview image is limited by the size of the viewpanel region (the region that contains the viewports). The spinner is clamped to the maximum value that allows the preview image to still fit in the viewpanel region.

An easy fix I found is to go into Expert mode before doing the preview (CTRL-X).
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Slum wrote: »
    From the max help:

An easy fix I found is to go into Expert mode before doing the preview (CTRL-X).

Is there any other trick to push this up even more? Modern graphics cards are able to handle much more than the average viewport size on a 1680x1050 monitor.