Home General Discussion

bionic commando multiplayer demo on xbox live now!!

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Peris polycounter lvl 17
multiplayer demo on xbox live, go and play it now!! It's superfun =)

here are some protips that will make you a true "bionic commando"

-don't run around like an idiot masterchief, swing you idiot!!!
-when you are in the air falling towards some opponents, tap Y to do a death from above move =)
-you can grab weapons and pickups (except for health) using your arm, super fun when you see a guy run towards the shotgun but then you snag it right in front of him and instantly shoot him in the face with it... stupid noob....
-machinegun is pretty accurate and deadly on long distances when you press down aim!!

Replies

• dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm glad someone else is enjoying as much as me.

Some thoughts:

You WILL probably hate this for the first few rounds.

Release the grip a little early and dont try to jump while releasing. Simply grapple, swing, release, grapple, swing, release. Practice makes perfect.

It really seems like one of those things where you'll love it or hate it. I've had a blast since 4:30 this morning. It reminds me a lot of the original where it takes a while to get comfortable with the controls, but once you do you are a ninja in there.

They should have put in a single player option. Would have shown off the wow factor a lot more.

Okay I just finished off a lunchtime deathmatch session. OMFG. So much fun. I realized how this post didn't sound glowing enough to convey my thoughts. This game is fucking sick! No lag at all either. Seriously it's worth mastering these controls for the joy of pwning bitches.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    dolemite wrote: »
    It reminds me a lot of the original where it takes a while to get comfortable with the controls, but once you do you are a ninja in there.

Yeah, that is EXACTLY the way the original was. A lot of "Wtf..." before it just clicks and you're swinging all over the place.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    How are the controls comparable to the last few Spiderman games? If anything, those games had some fucking awesome swinging mechanics. Does Bionic Commando's feel fluid like that or is it more mechanical, where the game dictates your points of pivot when swinging?

Also - can't wait to try it!
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be prolly grabbing this when I get home if anyone is up for some MP act-shun later.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Killer stuff, can't wait to try it! Congrats to everyone who worked on this sucker
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AdamBrome:

A few people in the game commented that they preferred the spider man controls. I didn't play them so I don't know.

You can freely swing from and grapple to any surface (im pretty sure). The mistake I had going in was expecting it to be fast snappy swings from several surfaces in a row(like doing monkey bars). The game seems more like it focuses on perfectly executed long swings and jumps. Which is really exciting, because you can really fly across the level. Release too late and you will just launch straight up, which is really disappointing for noobs.

To be honest it kind of reminds me of the original, but in 3D. Definitely play this game for a full evening before deciding if you like or hate the controls.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll wait until tonight when it doesn't take 10 minutes to find a game. But with the one round I managed to play without getting a 'everyone has disconnected' error message... I dunno, it plays more or less how I expected it to: badly. I was only interested in the single player, but I guess we're not going to get a demo for that. Bleh.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    really cant wait to play this one after work
    i've been looking forward to this game for a long time. everything from the art to the gameplay looks so fantastic! (especially those beefy robot suits)
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @glib:

That's weird. My internet is usually craptastic, but I only got dropped from like 5 games of 25. It took me like 3 minutes to get into a game.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dolomite: I just finished a game where almost every character was lagging incredibly badly, doing the running man on the spot then warping around. I was getting snipe kills just guessing and shooting 10 feet in front of their character and hoping they warped there. When I grapple to a wall and want to go up, I hit the jump button. Nothing seems to happen for a while, and the characters feet start crashing through the wall geo, then eventually he jumps. Its not the controls that bother me, its the physics... jumping from some positions sends you flying, from others you barely leave the ground. Sometimes a swing is slow and sends you flying, sometimes a fast swing moves you slowly. I got shot while I was jumping and got rocketed a mile above the level.

To be honest, this feels like an early beta of a fan-made mod to me.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehehe... yeh I figured some would hate it and some would love it. Sorry it's not working for you. :(
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    oh cool, i was looking forward to playing this. I'll hafta try this out when i get some time.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    So, am I missing something simple or is there no way to setup/select servers? Do you only get to play on whatever random server it drops you on?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea it takes a long time to connect, is it just the one map? the picture shows a sunny one which looks awesome but all i ever seem to play is the night time one. I have been looking foward to this game for ages, everything GRIN puts out seems to be awesome lateley.

the swinging is easy and intuative after about 30 seconds. I cant really tell about the graphics, the tv in the place EA is putting me up in is a 26" lcd that only seems to want to do SD output :(

awesome work guys, cant wait to play the single player.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    very confusing online iunno maybe because of the small map.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    this is really fun. got some wicked tribes vibes because of the fresh mode of transportation. Really can't wait for the extremely good looking single player!
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24591

I thought people might find this interesting. At one point he is talking about the physics of the swing mechanic and comparing it to spiderman.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    my 360 is wirelessly connecting to my lower tier cable connection (I don't recall the speed, I just have the cheapest broadband that Cox offers).

The swinging worked fairly well, they way everyone talked it up I expected a steep learning curve. There were times when I would aim at a point to swing and the arm wouldn't fire but I think I was aiming at things out of reach. The only drawback I saw was the long wait to find a match, I only got to play one match.

someone figured out a trick to edit the match options:
    "Step 1 Goto the main screen and press start, You will be brought to the "quit demo, options, xboxlive" options screen. STAY IN THIS SCREEN

Step 2 Get a friend to send you a game invite(any game will do).

Step 3 Accept the invite, then when it ask if you want to exit your current game hit no. You will now be brought to a screen where you can change to private match and invite friends.

DO NOT EDIT: Game Mode or Frag Limit It Will Crash the Demo"
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeh a lot of people had a hard time getting in. Here's the trick:

If you dont get into a match in under a minute or two, immediately leave the lobby and then try again. Sometimes it seems to put you into a match immediately, sometimes it just takes forever.

Doing it this way I can usually get into matches in under 3 minutes.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    games out anyone have it is it worth getting?
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    played through a few levels today. : ) really good so far.
    environment art is incredible! one complaint is the amount of load zones, but it must be very hard getting that level of fidelity and detail across such a sprawling area as is.

some of spencer's animations are the coolest i've ever seen in a third person game since Oddworld: Stranger. That backwards jump is all kinds of neat, same with his crouching run.

as a fan of the original, the swing mechanic translates so nicely and i'm really looking forward to getting the kiting and throwing ability. COOL GAME!!! (also those polycraft things i saw in the screenshots are really neat. can't wait to fight them.)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Uly, it makes me happy you enjoy it :)
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Uly wrote: »
    as a fan of the original, the swing mechanic translates so nicely and i'm really looking forward to getting the kiting and throwing ability. COOL GAME!!! (also those polycraft things i saw in the screenshots are really neat. can't wait to fight them.)

Ooh your not far in then yet =), once you get those abilities the combat really opens up! Glad you like the environments, i had a good time working on them (big stuff = fun!). Gonna miss working on this game!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    hows online play compared to the demo? i hated the small map in the demo?

man the visuals alone want me to get the game, this and UFC undisputed are the two games i want to get this month!
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got the game at lunch and played it for a few minutes. So far so good. I love the "Escape From New York" style opening. And I love how it starts off "let me tell you about a man I met when I was still young." That's a classic nes line, and one of my fondest childhood memories.

The character animations and art are completely boss. Anyone else planning on unlocking the retro character? If I unlock is can I change it back later?

If anyone wants to death match on LIVE my sn is:

ninja DOLEMITE
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    dolemite wrote: »
    http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24591

I thought people might find this interesting. At one point he is talking about the physics of the swing mechanic and comparing it to spiderman.

nifty