Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jungle Dungeon WIP

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys. I finally have time to start a full blown environment project. It's going to be a dungeon based in the jungle. So eventually what we'll see after the design is shelled out is lots of green foliage coming from the ceiling through openings in the roof, along with some volumetrics.

C&C is encouraged plz :-)

Anyways here is the WIP so far.

pillar.jpg

STANDS.jpg

crner.jpg

wall1_2.jpg

wall3.jpg

Full1.jpg

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice HPs,

looks like you could seperate out those main wall bricks onto their own map and model the raised edge, would allow you loads of variation, as you could then blend two maps between very mossy and clean

cant wait for progress
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As shep said, nice HP's you have there. I think that some of the damage in the wall looks odd, why would one brick have a large chunk missing while the one next to it only has cracks. Maybe you could align them so it looks as if they correspond with each other.

It's only nit picking though, I am looking forward to updates.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    It's looking good.

But I have a strange feeling looking at your high poly that you privileged the higher frequency details rather than the others. So in other words it looks very crispy where there are flat surfaces + cracks, but rather smooth in holes and broken places.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carlo_c wrote: »
    As shep said, nice HP's you have there. I think that some of the damage in the wall looks odd, why would one brick have a large chunk missing while the one next to it only has cracks. Maybe you could align them so it looks as if they correspond with each other.

It's only nit picking though, I am looking forward to updates.

nah, ive seen plenty of stoone wall like this, its not damage its frost erosion, where weaknesses in the stone get water inside and then freezes expanding and cracking a peice off, doesnt nessacarily effect the brick next to it as that has different weak points. can also happen because of heat, not quite sure why though it could be to do with heat expansion
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh ok Shep. I googled some images of frost damage out of curiosity and see what you mean, something I can take into account next time I model up a brick wall lol.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tis what happens to roads in the winter time. Same thing happens to any stone structure throughout the centuries. However in my case the scrutiny can be directed at the fact that my temple is in a tropical climate.... so there is only one way to explain this.

ICE PRINCESS FROZE IT!

lol... all joking aside

Shep i like your idea... however i think i can achieve the same effect without adding more tris and keeping it a BSP texture..

So much can be done with BSP materials these days when you throw masks and alphas in there you know. But god damn that's a great idea i havn't even thought of doing that :-)

I've been planning the process for a while now... i have all my high poly scenes saved so i can go back and change anything, and bake more maps if i need to. I'm really excited for how this will turn out.

Paro: After i throw a diffuse texture on these, alot of those fine details will be drowned out. I'll be running a high-frequency detail normal map generation using crazybump then blending it in with the deep normals, so hopefully that problem will be flushed out as the project continues.

I'm also planning on re-doing the floor.. It's too level, i want some areas of elevation for the player.

Thanks for all the great ideas and comments/critiques so far guys.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Phew! Who needs reasons when you've got a cool, mental looking brick wall!!!

Looking good Virtuosic. I'd say keep on with the bsp route, you can just use your planning splines for the wavy trim to start building a a new BSP base if you wanted to catch more of that ander brick section so you could have it extruding into your pillars.

I might be tempted to scale down your trims to 70-80% their size, then scale up the pillars to 120% so you get more interesting overlpa between your walls and pillars while letting your player viewing height feel closer to it due to seeing over more of the trims height.

Of course, maybe dwarfding the player is the way to go to, whatever feels cooler in the game.

Your could just cut directly into the floor slabs lowpolys you have, do variants where you cut out a few blocks and FFD some undulation, then placing a bsp grout or dirty sand or mossy jugle texture underneath would allow you to show the natural environment eating up the man made environment.
  • jaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very cool! I can already tell this is going to be very interesting when finished... it already is!

Noob question... What did you use to get the brick looking so amazing. Zbrush? Mudbox? can someone point me in the right direction where i can learn some high poly modeling like this?

dont mean to change the thread topic, just curious

thanks
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KJ: Thanks for the cool ideas. I've been at a little bit of a road block when it comes to the scale of the trim. I am going to toy around with the idea to actually sink the player a little farther down into the ground and have another small set of trims that i will also use between the pillars and the BSP. For the floor, i was thinking of doing something like that, but would it be easier to just use Terrain or something like that? I think it would give me more flexibility, especially to get a cool effect like dirt or sand piling up at the corners of the ground and trim. So many good ideas!

Jaball: It's really not that hard. Like Kevin said in his Gears 2 thread, it's all about utilizing the grid. What you can do is set the grid to work exactly like it does in any game engine that you want. In our case, we set it up so the grid spacing is 8, and there is a major grid line every 16 lines, this makes small pockets of 128x128, and that way you can plan all of your elements to fit inside that grid. When a piece goes off of that grid, or you plan to tile a certain element, you just offset it by the total size of your grid on whatever axis you need. But remember, planning is the most important part, and the more you plan, the easier your work becomes.

More updates coming soon, i'm stuck in ohio till thursday so i can't really do anything.
  • jaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Virtuosic thanks! I get the general idea of what your saying but I think I meant my question more for beginner zbrush/mudbox tuts. Which after posting I just went and hunted down on the web...lol

Seeing all these amazing posts can be a little intimidating. Its all so good and I feel like I have to learn EVERYTHING to get my foot in the door. With that being said though it sure is inspiring to be able to see such incredible work!

Love seeing all the great work! hopefully after being locked away for a few years I can wow a few of you on here!

cheers
  • Stronin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Free Bump* For being from the awesome state of Pennsylvania. I don't live there now but thats where my childhood was :).

Awesome work, Can't wait to see it finished!
  • torontoanimator
    i think its awesome! Can we see the wireframe on the pillars please? im working on something similar right now so Id like to know how you did it :)
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work man, keep it up.

-Buddikaman
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, quick update, working on the corner statue. Still a Work in Progress i gotta finish 5 more elements to this.

shot4.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice, cant wait too see more
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay big update.

Trim

trimsculpt.jpg

Corner Face Elements

horns.jpg
    facecornersculpt.jpg

Max Grabs

maxgrab1.jpg
    maxgrab2.jpg

aaaaand UT shots... the lighting is VERY WIP. The lighting will be the last thing i do probably, but if anyone has any cool ideas make sure to speak out :-)

UTshot_1.jpg
    UTshot_2.jpg
    UTshot_3.jpg
    UTshot_4.jpg
    UTshot_Wire.jpg
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Looking great Virtuosic! Even though the light is very wip I like where its headed with the tree top shadows. My biggest crit would be that the lips on the corner face really get lost. You might want to try going into the normal map and increasing the intensity on the crease in the lips and the corner of the cheeks. Otherwise if u make those creases darker in the texture map it might be able to take car of that. Keep it up.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    love the lighting through the canopy on the 2nd shot from the bottom. but I`d tone down that yellow light considerably on the right, makes the scene a bit inconsistent imo
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome job so far,the WIP lighting in UT looks Ace!, i am digging this,looking for more.So you planning this as a full level or just a piece of it for ur portfolio?

Vj
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek: Thanks for noticing that because i honestly never would have... i have to do some post in photoshop for that one, maybe mess a bit with the levels in that area.

vik: Yea that's part of the WIP, because those orange lights need to be less saturated i think because there will be a torch flame there

vj_box: It's a portfolio peice, not a full level. but i'm making the assets for it to be modular so you actually could make it into a full level. Everything is planned, but you have to use the meshes in a specific way that matches the BSP flow and contour
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    Hi, How are you doing the dappled shade in Unreal 3, I was creating a jungle a couple of months ago and couldnt find a better solution than making the trees dynamic which is stupidly intensive.

It looks great though! Nice work.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek wrote: »
    Looking great Virtuosic! Even though the light is very wip I like where its headed with the tree top shadows. My biggest crit would be that the lips on the corner face really get lost. You might want to try going into the normal map and increasing the intensity on the crease in the lips and the corner of the cheeks. Otherwise if u make those creases darker in the texture map it might be able to take car of that. Keep it up.

id say that the lips wont be lost when diffuse s added esp if you add moss to vertical surfaces etc
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some new WIP shot of a floor BSP i'm working on. That pattern is WIP, still might tweak it to be something more interesting.

floorwip1.jpg
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you gonna have variations of these patterns on the floors and tile em across? or you gonna plan 3d tiles that we saw in some levels of UT3.

Vj
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update on floor, time for a polycrunch

floorwip2.jpg
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Not likeing that floor at all, seems to be clashing with the amount of wear that you have on the wall. Thin details like that would have problems to survive weather and poeple walking on them.

My suggestion would to increase the depth of your detail work just a tiny bit and then soften some to edges a tad to make it look more anicient.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thumbling/143984674/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arkangl/2168649300/sizes/o/

These are outside shots but shows the wear I'm talking about. Shallow details would have been worn away quickly.

I hope that I don't sound like a gun model crit nut now turning on the enviroments artists...
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think cubik has a point, this goes for alot of your peices so far, you have alot of tiny cracks and big chunks, there is a slight gap between them in terms of detail adding this will help in terms of form and technical image quality. but also all the small cracks and large breaks dont really strike me as very natural, like cubik said alot of wear in a damp env, would lead to exposed areas becomeing eroded and smoothed off, maybe as a 2nd pass on the sculpting a quick smooth to exposed areas would help.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, i'll give the floor another pass now. I got carried away with the whole style of the thing instead of what would happen realistically. So basically what i will be doing is just smoothing out the hard edges and fine sharp detail of the letters on the stones. I'll have an update soon
  • rjhalvorson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like this is coming along. And I agree with some of the other posters as far as the fine details go. Apart from being as realistic I also think it is somewhat distracting from the overall designs as the cracks and other details fight for attention.

Looks great though, looking forward to seeing more.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    this is looking awesome!is this in an engine?
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys a couple of quick updates.

One i started on the torches that will offer the secondary light source as well as give the lighting a little bit of contrast.

facewip.jpg

facewipconcept.jpg

And this was a result of the reworked floor.

floorwip3.jpg
  • BUSYROBOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your detail looks amazing! Are you going to add vines and other foliage?
  • rjhalvorson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the fire breathing light source! Keep updating because I'm enjoying these additions.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    So Virtuosic, Do you model everything low poly in quads before importing into sculpting program? How do you keep the shape when subdividing? Do you use the scuplt tools to pull out and mess with the low poly mesh to get the shape you want, or do you have that set before importing?

Thanks!

-Buddikaman
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Busyrobot - Thanks!, yes i plan on adding lots of foliage coming from the ceiling, as well as some moss and other things later down the road.

-buddikaman - Like KJ posted in his awesome UT3 and Gears thread, i work everything out on a grid system first so that i know it will fit with the level. Most of the time i have a general idea in my head when i take it into z-brush, and from there i turn off smooth subdivision (similar to tessalate in max), and subidivide it until there are enough edge loops to keep the corners sharp. From there i start working on general shapes with projection master, then i add in some detail like hieroglyphics and symbols, then overlay some cracks on top of that. After that's done i go in and smooth everything a bit to give it a weathered look, then i go in with clay tool and take out some chunks that match up with the cracks alpha so i get a realistic damage look. Then after that i go in and do another fine detail pass over all that stuff to give it a stone like texture.

The mesh is usually pushing a couple million faces at this point, so i have to cut it up into about 250-500 face sections and crunch them down so that max doesn't run out of memory when i bring them all back.

The Large face statue on the 1st page of this thread was a particularly fun piece to do because i literally had no detail in the base mesh when i brought it in. I modeled it so that it fit into my base scene that i had going in max. From there i subdivided a couple of times and smoothed it out, then started laying in really large forms until i got something that i liked. From there i retopologized the base mesh to fit the curvature of the face (i kept this entirely quads). This way i could get much more detail while keeping a relatively low polycount. When you do not use this method, your base mesh gets messy, and really high face counts, and you can't get fine detail without HD subdividing. After the final sculpt was finished, i retopologized again with my resolution set to 1. This is a great way to build your in game meshes, because it's okay to cut tris in since yo won't be subdividing this at all.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates are awesome, I like where this is heading a lot :)

The new floor is looking good, I can imagine lots of little weeds poking out of those cracks when you get further along.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed lighting (still WIP), added some effects, and started blocking in foliage.

need to do some stairs and an epic doorway and i'll be set to start making the rest of the environment :-)

101109-1.jpg

101109-2.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plants look a wee bit monotone, maybe add a flower or two, and some trailing roots/fonds/vines/things

looking sweet
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Virtuosic this dungeon and the work you are putting into it is awesome, however I have to say I liked your more gloomy natural lighting from page 1 better than this all sconces lit thing you've got going on right now. I know you are saying that the lighting is WIP but I wouldn't want you going down this path any further. Some good shadows will really help set the mood here whereas all lit is kind of killing it for me. Night sky is cool, but please put out some of those torches. Also you might want to breakup the silhouette of the foliage a bit more particularly the big wedge shapes you have now, they don't look very natural atm. Adding flowers/vines/roots/etc... like SHEPEIRO mentioned will definitely help as well.

I forgot to mention I love your zbushed highpoly work please keep posting more.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    The values on the walls and the floor are the biggest issue to me. They should be separated and readable. Otherwise this is looking great.
  • rjhalvorson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the layout but I'm with Ben Apunda. I liked the older lighting just because of the atmosphere it gave off. I also like the flame mouth concept you got going. I think you could figure out a way to marry the two :).

Looks great though.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    lokking great man, i cant wait to see the final lighting, im with nrek on the corner statue, the lips get lost. other than that i absolutely love it!
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input guys. I get to start more high-poly production soon because as of right now the stuff i have isn't enough to put together something truly awesome. I think what i'll end up doing is just making an entire UPK that can be used to assemble an entire level. This way i'll learn alot about designing to a grid, and having things be modular.

The lighting h as changed once again, i took the advice to put out a couple of torches to vary up the lighting, as well as adding a light function that flickers the light so it acts like a real torch.

I'll have some more screen shots soon.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's a little tease WIP. this is a bsp material i'm working on for a very exclusive part of the dungeon :-)

skullwip2.jpg
  • RickFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why does this remind me on doom so much? :)
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet keep em coming!
    Vj
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the finished material... it's 74 instructions right now (will go up once i get a 24 bit diffuse and spec on there) Anyways it has 3 paralax instructions: 1 to create a layer behind the skulls that is just the same texture offset. I used the alpha from the texture bake for the Lerp mask. Then another paralax on the front layer of skulls to give it some more depth.

skullwip3.jpg

On a cube ... As requested :-) (Tiled twice)

skullwip4.jpg
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome virtuosic, it turned out great. Cant wait to see it with textures on it. Would be kinda nice to see it displayed on a cube as well.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, I love that thing with the sculls, it's very retro like Rick said. This is going to make some freaking great rooms.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    I'm really digging your process. Those skulls are awesome! Keep this up!