Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Sebastian Schade - Environment Artist

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
EbolaV keyframe
Hey friends. I updated my Portfolio a bit in the last days. Would like to know what you guys think. I want to rework one or more models of my stuff there when i get the time for that :). Do you think it is a good startportfolio for an internship or junior position?

http://sebastianschade.wordpress.com/

Replies

• Marcan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcan polycounter lvl 12
    Hi Sebastian,

great portfolio you got there ! Nice high poly stuff especially.

If I were you though, I would move down or simply remove your game environment that is at the top. Since you start with i and it is your weakest piece, it drags down the rest of your portfolio.

Aside from that, I think you should land you a junior position fairly easily.

Good luck !

Edit: I like how clean and functional your website is. Props to you for not using the very slow and clunky flash interface.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    very very dark images - its as if they were rendered with just a flashlight :P
    More colorful(daylight, friendly, soft, natural,...) renderings or textures would be nice to see - it's all GOW style which is greyish muddy, warm/cold crazy high contrast. The high poly models are nice.

how long are you already on the GA in Berlin, considered swtiching to something cheaper?
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your high poly stuff is very good, but you could still improve much in terms of texturing and low poly translation. Specular maps seem to be nonexistent. I think you could remove about half of the weaker pieces and leave yourself with a very solid portfolio.

You should list the appropriate reference when using other people's design. Some of your mechanical pieces are based on well known works and right now you have your name slapped across them as if they were your own.
  • Surface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, Sebastian, The high poly models you have in your folio is really nice, and I agree with Marcan, you should either move down or remove your first environments, they don't compare to the nice work you've done for the HP objects.

Goodluck!
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    Thank you guys for your feedback :P

@Marcan: I think about that. Sven Liebich (Art Director EA Phenomic) liked the scene but he seen that in motion. Thats why i dont really know if i should kick it :). Maybe he lied xD dont hope so

@Renderhjs: Do you talk about the game environment pics? yeah they are really, really dark. Have to work more on lighting. Its my first full enviro i have my problems with lighting a nighty rainy scenes :P i'm nearly finished with GA. Tomorrow begins Quo Vadis where i try to land a job :)

@ArtsyFartsy: The models have specular maps but bad ones. I really focus on high poly work and didnt spend much time on texturing :( but i started to study more texture work from pc to improve that :D and because of the reference whoops you are right i had some "modelled base on that or this" on the remodelled pieces, think i overpainted that. I will fix that today. I really would like to only create hp models and zbrush environment stuff but someone have to make textures at my team :P haha
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    i had hard times finding resume. I guess it's not there, cause i failed finding it eventually.

The major issue as to me lighting (too monotone and mostly b&w) and actual textures. Too much specularity and they alos look sort of "muddy".

Hi-res looks cool to me though ;)
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    Thank you Matroskin. I tried making a rainy look with specular but... you see it xD. Maybe it sounds like bad excuses but i started the scene with 0 environment knowledge being only able to model some planes and cubes and unwrap them badly (have some old pics urgs) i tried to fix all my epic fails with all the stuff i learned (most here at pc :P) but i cant see it anymore. I have to put it a bit on ice for the next time. I should make kinda post mortem :).

I fixed that reference problem on the pics i modelled from existing stuff from other games and draged down the scene to bottom. Maybe i kick it the next time :)

some of the models (like the bridge) are for the 2. environment i have to do for the game where i try to make a lot better, hope so. We want to have a contrast to the alley scene i did and kind of asian city but dirtier so i make it with a lot of lightstuff like that advertisement in Tokio or something like that... and bigger... and i want a little polycount store there with a big rotating greentooth :D haha that will be awesome. I think to start another thread later for that and post there all the stuff i do to get some kick ass feedback from you guys :)
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    damn the next to days will be interesting. showing a lot of guys from german studios my stuff and the current game version of my student project. i hope i can land a job after that. really exciting :)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    why do you want to work in germany? Imo. the game jobs in germany have very bad conditions.
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    hmm my first thought was crytek (would be awesome) or yager. Germany cause i want to get some experience before i try to get a job in us (dont know if that is in aaaany time possible) or in another place in europe or somewhere. dont know :/ dont know if i would good enough. i dont want to overestimate me and thats why i allways think that im to bad and try to get better... strange way to push me xD
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    well you might heard that Ascaron went bankrupt again, and it illustrates very well how the general german game scene stands.
    I know one previous co- worker of Ascaron and he has no bright stories to tell how working there was. Lucky for him as he left them on the right time and founded his own company. At times they weren't even paid for severeal month's and had to work even harder for nothing (crunchtime). The money is tight and the studios are often to smal to even compete with big industry players you wont find in germany except Crytek.
    And it's not just Ascaron from which I hear stories like that but also other companies where artists have to work way to much and get a rather poor payment.

Crytek is the exception here, I once read somewhere that it is the biggest game studio in whole Europe though I am not sure if that's correct if you consider france and it's ubisoft studios there. Maybe you are lucky but even they outsourced parts already to the east in Kiev Russia , because money is tight and they want to compete with other big players.

I think in germany what works well are the kind of studios or agencies that do not have to compete with the big market. I know some studios who are successfull with games for children or girls (actually very succesfull), or more the kind of agencies that create mutlimedia applications and mini games for big brands and showrooms/ presentations.

I know my view on germany is rather pessimistic- but I think it is really that bad yet. That's also partly because the acceptance in the government is less to noone present and things get not pushed the way for example the car industry or food instustry gets pushed in germany. As a game developer in Germany you pretty much depend on your self and your crew- got the right people and you might have a chance.

ah and dont be scared of what I say, but be brave and question each company you apply at. Ask them perhaps how they see the current economic change affecting them, what they plan on doing against it (there are several way, not each has to be bad).

good luck with your job hunting
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    your best bet may be the UK lots of companies here, and not the visa issues that you would see trying to get a job in the states where its commonplace to need a critically acclaimed title or whatnot under your belt, as well as the requisite experience
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    thank for your advices. yeah there are not that many good options in germany. thats shit :( talked today a bit with a producer from crytek and yager. i will stay for the last month at the school, work with my team on our schoolproject (i hate my first scene and that engine we are using :D) and then i try to aply at crytek or yager, look what if possible and if nothing i think i look in another country. hmm think i kick my scene from portfolio. Do you think its possible to aply with a portfolio with high poly models and single ingame rendered props? its the most i love. making hp and see it on low poly ingame :P hehe