Home General Discussion

Twitter

Well I just jumped on the hype train and started using the account I opened ages ago. It seems to be almost the evolution of social news sites like digg and reddit, mixed with facebook with a splash of msn thrown in. I wouldn't really call it useful in any way, but it's as good an internet timewaster as any I guess.

Anybody else in on it?

Replies

• Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    never!

i dont like these social sites and .. things, you keep checking and in the end its all pointless.
    better spend that time working on something awesome :)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    That... and my life is just not that interesting.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    And I don't have any opinions on anything...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I highly recommend Peter Serafinowicz's Twitter feed, if you know who he is you probably appreciate his sense of humour (if not, go and watch Look Around You), he regularly posts jokes and funny links.

It's also pretty weird seeing who's on there. Just a glance at Serafinowicz's friends list reveals a whole bunch of quality comedians (Mitchell & Webb, although Mitchell doesn't update that much, Rob Corddry, various other people), and then there's horrible people like Ryan Seacrest who has big pictures of himself on his page, and talks to socialites and co-presenters. A true twit.

I kinda wonder whether those really high-profile celebrities (Demi Moore etc) actually update their own Twitter feeds, or if they have someone to do it for them? Although I hate the way Demi Moore spells things so I guess it probably is her ("qik" ... seriously, does it take so long to find the "u" and "c"?).

Needless to say, I don't have a Twitter account and find it totally unnecessary for myself, but I do enjoy reading a few of them if they're updated frequently and well.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    So it's kindof like a homepage, but even lazier than a blog?
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    oh and by the way, even if you don't know his comedy or face - peter serafoninwiisidsxxziax (fuck it) was also the voice of Darth Maul.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Darth Maul had a voice? I don't even remember him saying "Bleeggh" when he got chopped in half.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    and he was darth chef
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Those jumping on the small hardware development bandwagon, Twitter is the best tool to get the word out. Type something random and people will follow.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    no thank you I already waste too much time on forums and rss feeds ~~
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minotaur0 wrote: »
    no thank you I already waste too much time on forums and rss feeds ~~

Me too. But this can definitely replace RSS, and I think it may cut into my forum time too. The hardest and most important part seems to be finding good people to follow.
  • Rick Stirling
  • JesterBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JesterBox polycounter lvl 18
    "Just got home"

"Gonna take a dump now"

"wish I grabbed a book before starting"

"no toilet paper"

"cat just walked into the bathroom..."

"Improvising"
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    ugh this is the shit that really burns my asshole at the mere thought of using it. at a glance it looks like the next level of ego stroking, vain bullshit like facebooks status updates.

I really dont care what 99% of people are thinking or planning or doing, and their need to announce it to the world seems incredibly dumb to me. its shit like this why its hard to have a conversation face to face when people are updating shit and chatting on their blackberry the entire time.

wow kanye west just landed in an airplane!??? no waaaaaaaay! well now good sir my day is fucking complete! knowing that lil fact put my soul at ease. seriously, who really cares about this crap? I'm with Rens on this one, utter waste of time complied onto the tons of other shit people use to waste time.

hahah end of my little rant there, I'm just really tired of hearing about facebook/twitter/myspace etc.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PM: That's what I thought too. Most of what I see now that I'm into it is people sending links on new stories, products, music etc. Just about every post has a link. Almost nobody is doing useless posts that provide nothing (or at least, nobody that I'm following). None of the stuff I'm posting is inane crap either, it's usually putting a link out there.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah PixelMasher, it sounds like all the people you know who use facebook/twitter etc. are useless assholes :)

Pick and choose, there are feeds well worth following for interesting stuff and good jokes.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Care to share MoP?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I already shared the only one I actually read with any interest (serafinowicz) ... Robert Webb's is also ok. That's the nice thing about Twitter - you don't have to read all of it... I just like the odd one or two, and glance at them every few days :)
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Some of my friends and I use twitter to easily send out links to the whole group, or easily send out a group-invite for drinks or something. Much faster and easier than email, since most people check twitter on their phone.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    Yeah PixelMasher, it sounds like all the people you know who use facebook/twitter etc. are useless assholes :)

To put it another way, its sort of like saying email sucks because everyone you know keeps sending you chainmail.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    ugh, twitter. not again.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER.

die!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    JesterBox wrote: »
    "Just got home"

"Gonna take a dump now"

"wish I grabbed a book before starting"

"no toilet paper"

"cat just walked into the bathroom..."

"Improvising"

If you follow people that post this sort of trite shit, thats your own fault. 90% of those I follow post useful things I actually learn from. CRAZY, I know.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    I got into it about a week ago, and I hate it. Fortunately, you only have to stand people you actively choose to follow. And there's a nifty Firefox plugin that hides in the corner of the broswer and pops up a tiny IM-like window whenever someone you're following writes something. Never have to actually go the site.

I do have my excuse, though. A couple of 2D artists I admire sometimes set up coloring sessions on Ustream for live viewing. And while I suppose they might announce them on their websites as well, it's not like I can constantly keep checking to see if there's going to be a stream soon. So; Twitter. I sit about doing whatever, as usual, and a little blue box pops up that says "ustream soon", and poof, I'm watching art live. The first time I accidently stumbled upon a live stream, I had such a good time I had to get on Twitter to ensure I don't miss the next one.

Besides, I can also treat it like a mini-diary. I only have one person following me, and I follow him, too. And we're both on Messenger almost constantly. But I do end up reading things he finds worth writing down that he wouldn't bother telling me personally. So I make it a habit to write a random thing a day. Something like "Apparently I'm addicted to carrots. At least they're healthy."

And it's fun! It's like having a journal or diary that everyone can read but no one wants to, but since messages are limited to 140 characters you won't spend a lot of time writing too long essays just to vent. So it's... less time wasted writing things? ... which I instead sit down and write on random forums. I like writing I guess.

In Twitter's defense, the site has an adorable and stupid little introduction video that explains something I'd never thought about. It did seem like the most vain thing ever to me, too. But they say, it's for following little things in the life of people you know. Things you might normally find out when you bump into someone on the way to the store or someting, but are too insignificant to call someone about. But somehow it's still interesting if you know the person. Some sort of crazy social psychology or something. I dunno, it seems to help bond with people you already know.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    adamBrome wrote: »
    If you follow people that post this sort of trite shit, thats your own fault. 90% of those I follow post useful things I actually learn from. CRAZY, I know.
    I'm sceptical, monsier Brome. Could you link to one of these educational twits, please?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Are people who tweet on twitter called twats? I believe it's a clever service that encourages people to text more on their phones. Which, I assume raises someone's profits.

Honestly, my life isn't that interesting. It just another thing to see listed on games, radio, everything trendy, etc. But thanks for sharing.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I'm sceptical, monsier Brome. Could you link to one of these educational twits, please?

Al Gore, Kevin Rose, George Broussard.. always posting things that link to sites I learn something from.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah but are such links/feeds available to someone without a Twatter account? To cut the unnecessary bullshit, logins and such. That would be sweet...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Links are always available Pior - think of those guys are link aggregators.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah but what if I want to follow someones feed of selected links. Is there a way to convert twats feeds to say, RSS?
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    I love how people who are against twitter are so defensive about it, and want to voice their opinions so badly.... perhaps they should try tweeting it in 140 characters so I dont have to read this kind of bullshit here ;)

and THATS why I like twitter *BOOYAKA*
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Pior - all twitter feeds have RSS too. If you are using Firefox you'll get the RSS icon in the address bar.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool! thats interesting.
    So who would be the interesting guys worth following on twatter?? Im not interested in Paris Hilton. More like politicians, philosophers, artists...

(yes I could register and search ... but I like word of mouth more :P )
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    pior wrote: »
    yeah but what if I want to follow someones feed of selected links. Is there a way to convert twats feeds to say, RSS?
    You know... you could just sign up on Twitter, download Twitterfox or whatever, and you never have to log in on anything ever again. It'll just stay hidden in your browser and when whoever you're following posts an update it'll show a little pop-up in the corner of the screen. It's convenient. Trust me.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dont.. tatadadada dont, dont believe the hype!

no but serieously, if i want some good info ill just watch discovery channel and nationalgeographic
    since im not a sharer of information, there is no point of me particepating in this
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't Twitter keep getting nailed by bots with bogus links to virus feeding pages?
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2345569,00.asp

I'm sure as with everything that gets popular it will get hit harder and harder.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They're putting viruses on the internet these days? What will they think of next!
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Yeah? So... How does that work? You only get messages from people you've chosen to follow. So far, two people in my case. People that I already knew from before, so I'll definitely notice anything out of the ordinary.

See, that's the thing. It's not you sending messages to people. It's you writing crap, and people deciding to follow you if your stuff is interesting enough, so I think it'd be really hard to successfully scam or spam via Twitter.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not that people where sending out bad links.

He found a way to send out messages or follow large groups of people. Then if you clicked to find out who this new follower was, in the profile of this new mysterious person was a nice little infection waiting for you. All you had to do was visit the profile page.

When they first started happening they recommended not using the site but other apps to tweet. Apparently using the site was the only way to become infected.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Someone should shut the internet up.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Oh, that's really clever. Good thing I never go to the site then...