Home General Discussion

Loan forgiveness programs

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
oobersli polycounter lvl 17
Just was reading about the IBR program. Was thinking might be of interest to some others here since I know of ppl with some hefty student loans.

I'm not sure what the qualifications are and how bad the taxes would be on it, but it seems like a nice helping hand in a recession.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/15/news/economy/loan_forgiveness/index.htm

http://www.ibrinfo.org/

Replies

• ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, which began in July 2008, lets borrowers off the hook from their remaining student loan debt after 10 years of full-time employment in public service.
    I've heard of these but they involve you basically pursuing a career in some kind of community service field or the military. And I do mean a lifetime career. Nobody will forgive your loan for doing a couple of months of volunteer work.

I owe about $7000 myself. I'm at 6.4% interest rate right now for subsidized loans. The A-holes in congress said they were going to cut the interest rates down to 3.2% but I never saw nothing.

General rule of thumb is, never borrow money unless you absolutely have to to save your life. And if you do end up borrowing, don't ever fall for some kind of scheme of "cutting your payments" or "forgiving your debt", or "not paying for a year"
    Nobody wants to help you, you'll have to pay every penny your borrowed back, and trying to get out of it will just get you into more trouble.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    I owe about $7000 myself. I'm at 6.4% interest rate right now for subsidized loans. The A-holes in congress said they were going to cut the interest rates down to 3.2% but I never saw nothing.

Gotta love how they'll give trillions to banks yet they can't help out the average person by reducing their rate.

Our debt-slavery system stinks.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    very true. Whats bad is most individuals taking out student loans are younger individuals that are less educated on how it all works and end up screwing theirselves before they're even able to get to screw up their life with a horrible home loan.

the ibr program from what I read doesn't take the career thing into qualification. Its based on income as where the public service one helps out the people in military, education or med. type careers.
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    damn. got all excited for a minute til I read the details.

I'm still in excess of 100,000 in student loan debt. It's basically like having to pay for 2 houses.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Damn animatr! I have around $20k and it's split between several banks. I swear one of them had the $50 min payment, then charged me $70 interest, so I paid $50 and the payoff went up $20. How am I ever suppose to make headway on that? :/ I can't even afford the $50... the other loans I'm attempting to do forbearance on for now.
    I got my degree, and my employer hasn't done shit for me with it. No pay increases this year, and I'm still earning the same money I was making with my original degree. And I can't find someone new to work for to get what I SHOULD be getting paid for with my degree :/ This economy sucks my ass ;)
    I am thankful to still have a job, but I hate how close I am to destroying my credit while still trying to make good on things, all because of this damn banking system.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Don't forget to add your student loan interest to your itemized deductions on your taxes - it's like getting 30% of that money back.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Not to be an ass, but kids should consider going to public schools rather than $30,000/year privates. Unless your family is rich, or you can absolutely guarantee that you'll get a job paying 130k immediately out of school, it probably just isn't worth the cost.

Not a ton of sympathy here for the government bailing out people who make poor personal financial decisions. As a taxpayer who budgets down to the nickel, I don't see why I should have to pay more to bail out people who didn't budget.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Ryno wrote: »
    Not to be an ass, but kids should consider going to public schools rather than $30,000/year privates. Unless your family is rich, or you can absolutely guarantee that you'll get a job paying 130k immediately out of school, it probably just isn't worth the cost.

Not a ton of sympathy here for the government bailing out people who make poor personal financial decisions. As a taxpayer who budgets down to the nickel, I don't see why I should have to pay more to bail out people who didn't budget.

A wee bit harsh, Ryno. I agree that subsidizing stupidity isn't what I want to do, but circumstances vary. Student loans are generally taken by people in their late teens/early twenties (we all make mistakes at that age), and they're taken with then intent of pursuing an education (definitely a good cause.) Even if the decision isn't the wisest, I'm much more sympathetic towards a teenager trying to prepare himself for the future than I am some jackhole who's taken an adjustable-rate mortgage on a five bathroom suburban McMansion he can't possibly afford.

The other thing is the scope of what that would cost. I bet that if the federal government slashed every student loans' interest rate in half, the tax cost wouldn't even be a blip on the radar compared to what's gone into TARP and the 'stimulus' package. It'd probably help more people, too.
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    I've heard of these but they involve you basically pursuing a career in some kind of community service field or the military. And I do mean a lifetime career.

The military option will pay off quite a large loan amount if you enlist for 4 years. I knew one guy who was getting more than 120k paid off (not sure if that much is normal or not). The trick is that you have to enlist (officers dont get much/anything paid off), Army usually pays off the most compared to other branches, it only works on federal loans, and if you go for the loan repayment option you cant usually get GI bill money to go back to school again after you finish your 4 years.

Seriously tho, the Army sucks. If you can, max out your credit cards to pay the loans off and declare bankruptcy before even thinking about this.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Holy shit! A 100.000 dollar loan?!!!!! How come it's even possible to get that much credit(or should I say debit ;))? I swear, everytime I read something about anything financial in America my jaw drops to to floor! :D
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Kwakkie: Its simple. College courses can cost a ridiculous amount. Where I'm at is presently charging $575 a credit hour (plus fees etc), most classes are 3-5 credits, and you need 120ish credits for an average Bachelors. So yeah, my final semester (finishing in June) cost about 12 grand. The Academy of Art in SF where I went in 2000-2001 was about that price then.
    The priciest schools in the Are between 40 and 50 thousand per year just for tuition.

Ryno: LOL sorry, but if you have some magically low cost and quality institution I'd love to hear about it. Out of state rates at my local "public" U are about $654 per credit hour for full time. And yeah, I'd be out of state at any quality college I wanted to go to, cause the local one is good for sports medicine and astrophysics and that's about it.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Move to a different state ;) Honestly, even our most expensive Universities here in Michigan, don't cost that much. Obviously it doesn't matter now, since you're already done, but DAMN!
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's sooo easy to borrow money when you're in college, and the predatory practices by some of these lenders are really enticing.

I always got the minimum amount I needed, which was about 3k a semester. But the government offered me as much as $15k per semester. All I had to do was type in the online form how much I wanted and I'd get a check for it in no time, no questions asked. They make it so ridiculously easy for you to borrow massive sums it's hard believe.

Plus I would also routinely receive letters from private lenders and credit card companies to also borrow as much money as I wanted.

College students are some of the most profitable customers for credit card companies. They've even started to aggressively market to high school kids, cause they know that even if they can't pay, the parents will try to cover the bill.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Vailias, yes, out of state tuition can cost an arm and a leg, making many public universities very expensive. But after a year of residency, you should be a resident and get the in-state rate which shouldn't be more than a couple thousand per semester/quarter. If you really want to be slick, once you get accepted, defer your acceptance for a year, go get a job in that state, save your money, then get in-state tuition when you start.

I'm sorry to be so snippy about this issue, but it's one that hits close to home. I went to a public university (U.C. Davis) and worked my ass off to get through college debt-free. My brother instead chose to go to Yale, putting my middle-class family under a lot of financial stress, and still ended up with $50,000+ in loans. It wasn't until he was in his thirties that he dug himself out of his debt.

He's a smart guy, and obviously went to a good school. He assumed that just by having a degree from Yale, and for being smart, he would end up quickly making tons of money. This was not the case. If he would have went to Cal, or Cal Poly Slo, or UCLA, he would have been much better off.

Just take into account that this can happen to someone who goes to Yale. If you think that some art/tech school is really worth this type of debt, you are wrong. Self motivation and hard work will carry you a lot farther. The debt that you can incur paying for expensive schooling can greatly impact your life for decades after you graduate. I would highly recommend looking at more affordable avenues if it is at all possible. Some of these paths will take you to your dream job much more easily, and a hell of a lot cheaper.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    I already forgave myself for my loans.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Ryno: I do see your point, and it is a good one. I'm more annoyed/disillusioned than anything else.

I'll be done with this piece of paper by mid June, so its a bit late at this point, and a large case of hindsight. A number of things which have looked like good decisions, including doing extensive research, have come out mediocre on the back end, but hey, life's like that sometimes and everything I could say otherwise just sound like excuses or whining. At least I didn't invest in the Madoff fund. :D
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Vailias, at least you're not working in games and wondering why the hell you have a degree in international relations, like myself. Maybe I should be a producer intstead? (Hell no!!)

Hindsight is always easier than foresight. We all make choices that we could have made better. But I'm just hoping that others can learn from our mis-steps and not repeat them.