Home General Discussion

Half Life 2 - What was the big deal?

Daaark
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Daaark polycounter lvl 17
I just recently beat this game, after buying the Orange Box for my 360, and I'm trying to figure out what so many people saw in it. For me, it seems like the game was just a lot of long boring sections between a few fun moments.

I think my favourite part had to be the end, coming back to the city, and then having to deal with all the soldiers that were crowding the streets, before having to go outside into that courtyard, and taking out all those giant orange spider robots.

I just started Episode 1, and I barely have the will to play through it.

Replies

• Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Well. I don´t know what I liked about Half life 2. The journey perhaps. The different environments. The world in itself i guess. I actually liked the car parts where you could explore the buildings next to the road. :)

Must admit that Episode 1 and 2 are much better though. Episode 2 is probably the best one of them and I´m really looking forward to episode 3. I think it will be greeeeeeeat!
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess its like Broccoli or anal - either you like it or you dont.

-N
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's odd for me, because I can see moments where the game is really great. I liked the point where Alex takes you outside and you can play fetch and basketball in the yard.

But I just didn't like playing through most of the levels. The basic gameplay felt like such a chore.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Games don't age well. You can't play something old today and know what it was like to experience it new back then - there's too much context of innovation.

Example, all the games I loved as a kid are insanely frustrating to me now. There is a faint whiff of nostalgia, but the actual gameplay is shitty beyond words. No save games? Thanks, but I'll pass.

HL2 isn't terribly old, but it depended a lot on innovation that has since become commonplace. What was fresh for us back then is stale for you now.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    HL2 was released in 2004, so it's a bit old now. Back then, it was a pretty big deal because it brought a lot of new things to FPS. Now, everyone's borrowed from it and it's a bit worn and faded.

I saw a strider kick a car over a house. That's how great it was.

Ep1 is very good, once you get past the initial citadel bit - which I didn't enjoy at all.

Ep2 is fantastic and is still quite nice looking. The story progresses really nicely and you get a great sense of pace. I'd even go as far as saying it's one of the best game experiences on offer, today. IMO.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Wow, you're one of the only people I know that didn't like that game.

It was incredibly immersive for starters. No elaborate cutscenes, minimalistic HUD, and a narrative that just sucks you in.

I actually didn't feel like I was playing a game, I honestly felt like I was escaping City 17.

The Gravity Gun was probably one of the most innovative uses of physics I'd seen. And seriously.. those Antlion pods when you're in the jail? That' was frickin NUTS man!

At the time, the visuals raised the bar significantly. They still do a LOT of things visually in that game that are pretty unparallelled by todays standards.

List could go on forever, but I'm really confused as to why you didn't like it as much as everyone else did. I personally think it aged VERY well.
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess the more I think about it, the thing I like about the HL franchise isnt a specific part so much as the evolving storyline. I played HL1, opposing force, even the weak blue-shift back in the day, and I guess now its as much following the story and characters as much as any specific part of the gameplay. Interesting post tho - strange when you have to actually think about WHY you like something.

-N
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc_rob wrote: »
    Games don't age well. You can't play something old today and know what it was like to experience it new back then - there's too much context of innovation.
    There are a lot of old games I still love.

Super Mario 3
    River City Ransom
    AKI's early 2000s WCW and WWE titles, before THQ/Yukes murdered the genre.
    Pac Man
    Quake 1 On my n64 will never get old.
    etc... (Don't want to list all day...)

But some games really don't get far when you remove the rose tinted glasses!
    HL2 isn't terribly old, but it depended a lot on innovation that has since become commonplace. What was fresh for us back then is stale for you now.
    Half life 2 was actually the first FPS game I played in years and years. It just seemed like the action took a back seat to showing off the basic physics features. The enemies were sometimes too few, and too annoying to fight.

Reminds me of Quake 2. The single player was mind-numbingly boring.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    For me, there was just so much hype surrounding this game's release date that you had to have it. Constant push backs on release dates with the infamous hack obtaining their source and various parts of the E3 demo. It was retarded. With the first title, it really helped jump start the story telling factor of games. With Half-Life's graphics being pretty damn sweet for the time, the sequel only promised to look even better. Granted, the story from Half-Life 2 really kinda sucked in comparison to the first and left you saying "WTF?" at the very end, and it was actually pretty damn short, but you also gained the ability to play re-vamped Counter-Strike before it could become full of hacks like its predecessor, which was great as well. I agree with glynnsmith though that you can't go back and play games for the first time that were released several years ago and expect to understand what it was like to play it when it first came out.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zork, I played it last week for the first time, totally stupid, talk about your ancient story telling techniques and outdated graphics... pfftt what a waste.

For me it was a continuation to a revolutionary game. You also have to drop yourself back a few years, considering that the graphics still more or less hold up is a bit of a testament to how great it was back when it released.

Considering I haven't played it in a few years, here's a short list:
    - I love to explore and not be railed or pushed along a path.
    - I liked picking up saw blades and slicing things in half.
    - I liked seeing old characters brought back and updated.
    - I liked ducking and hiding, running from room to room as you're being chased, watching Childern of Men reminded me heavily of HL2. As opposed to just being a walking hulking tank that just needs to duck to reload before opening up the hose of death again.
    - I liked that I spent 3hrs stacking props and driving around.
    - I liked that I could control hordes of bugs that once tormented and plagued me.
    - I <3 dog.
    - I liked that a scientist kept a declawed headcrab as a pet.
    - I liked being given the most powerful gun in the game and left just to run rampant. I wasn't given it with a limited supply of ammo I had to manage and it wasn't useless agaist the final boss.
    - Control wasn't ripped from my hands every 30 seconds someone had to send me on a micro mission.
    - Exploreing was rewarded in a few different ways, health and ammo and in funny eye candy.
    - I liked a lot of the physics. For the time physics where mostly just ragdolls on dead bodies.
    - I liked how the load screen was a blurry version of the game env and when it loaded the env would come to life. Often things would happen if you watched it.
    - I liked being a scrabling rebel fighting a losing battle agaist huge, enemies.
    - The pacing was great through out.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like that the story parts were interactive. When people were talking, I was still playing the game, and I had to actually look at them and walk around.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark wrote: »
    Because you first grew attached to them at the appropriate time. The window to fall in love with HL2 has passed. You probably won't see what a lot of us originally saw because you're look at it in retrospect.

I guess that's the difference between trying to fall in love with this:
    Liz_Taylor_01.jpg?t=1239807192

Long after its aged and become this:
    liz-taylor-blue-shadow.jpg
    What once was one of the hottest women of her time, is now known for her crazy friends, bad plastic surgery and cellulite that won't stop waving long after she does. Age its a bitch and it always wins. When it catches up to us all, hopefully it won't rob us of the memory of what once was.

Lets not start running down great games of the past because we're holding them up to different standards. The time to review and revise the scores originally given to a great game, has gone. But if we did, I think it might fair pretty well, even without retrospect to give it a boost.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Playing it the day it came out was pretty sweet. It did a lot of cinematic set piece stuff, and the gravity gun puzzles were really fresh.

A lot of the game's redeeming qualities were based on the quality of execution - the amount of well done scripted events, the art quality, the set pieces, etc. Since then we've had 4 and a half years or so to improve upon that. The actual shooting gameplay imho isn't that amazing - about half the guns are so-so. But the gravity gun was amazing, and the setting and set pieces and the constant action changeup was really good.

It loses some of its luster going back, but especially for the time it was exceptionally well done. The episodes have improved upon the gameplay, too, although I think Ep2 was much better done than Ep1.
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark wrote: »

Very true - My personal all time fav = Xcom1 1993. I still play the hell out of that game all the time.. The graphics and sound are outdated by phone-game standards, but I never get tired of blasting aliens.

-N
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    See, im of the same stance with Bioshock at the moment...

With HL2 I found myself constantly being treated to something new... be it a setpiece or a completely new area and it did its job of keeping me interested. I think some of HL2's sections are probably a bit too long and drawn out - which is probably why i love the episodes so much, theyre shorter but so much more intense and fun.

I'm not quite sure what it is about Bioshock I find so irritating... I'm about 5hours in on hard and I just dont find myself wanting to load the game. I have to admit that the characters are great and learning more about then via the recordings is nice but theres so many niggles that sap the fun out of the game, perhaps I should switch it to normal so I die less to big daddys... not that dying means anything.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    it was and still is the best first person shooter of its time.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    There are a lot of old games you still love because you first grew attached to them at the appropriate time.

I disagree.

There is nothing like those games.

Mario 3 for me was the peak of the series, and they don't make them like that anymore. SMB3 was addictive, and had great design. It's been downhill (for me) ever since.

There hasn't been any brawlers with the playability and personalty of RCR. There are so many little sandbox like things you could do in there, and fake physics that no brawler after ever bothered to implement. Add that the genre is dead now!

I got into Quake very late. It was very outdated by the time I played it. I loved the gameplay mechanics, and the atmosphere.

THQ's Smackdown games are so bad it's deperessing. They are broken in every way imaginable, and other than the laser scanned models, they are behind Spike's 1989 FirePro series. Midway didn't help. I was looking at EA's fight night page, and reading the dev's blog, and I was wishing they could be making smackdown instead. :poly124: They seem to really love what they are doing, and own up to the sore spots of previous games, while showing what they have done to improve them.

Back on topic. I'm not here to knock HL2. I just found the core gameplay mechanics and level design to not be very fun, even though it had lots of cool moments.
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    I don't think HL2 was all that special. Maybe it's that I expected so much more with all the hype. Maybe it's because I never played the original HL all the way through (nor blue shift/opposing force). Playing during "cutscenes" is something new I guess?? The first of these events I played through I just got pushed out of the way constantly by the AI characters. Gordon not saying a single word kidna ruins it for me, too. I played through HL2 though, because I was hoping it would get better, but really there wasnt much to it. The "story" is "revolutionary." Really?? As far as I can tell there really wasnt a story until Ep. 2, and Ep 1 was pointless and short. I'll probably play the next installment, though, because it's still a pretty solid/well-done game. A bit above average, but nothing like the hype.

Just my 2c
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    hrmph, some people just don't like ice cream
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i'm playing through Ep 1 at the moment (Steam has finally made its way into my pc), and i have to say - that Alyx is THE most annoying fictional character to ever have been created. She annoyed the piss out of me in hl2, but christ there's too much of her in ep1. Every coy look, every bit of unnecessary dialogue, every looping hand gesture that makes the character look like a fucking australian soap actress that hasn't been trained what to do with her hands, it all makes me want her to die. Which, at least, she can. And she does. Oh yes, she does.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    frostymoose: I wouldn't say the story is special but the way they tell it is great, even now any other company would have HL2 started with "the combine came and they were nasty fuckers that did bad stuff to us humans" probably in a cut scene too
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hahaha...

Indeed, getting off the train and seeing it all for yourself as opposed to having a cut scene to sit through is just so much... better?

I'm a fanboi though, I dont think there are any games so far that beat the way theyve delivered a story as a GAME yet.
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    Playing it for the first time back in 2004, it didn't even feel like a video game. It felt like I was in a movie - and I loved the feeling of loneliness and desperation in that game. It really felt like I was a man on the run. The interactive in game cut scenes had me totally fooled - they didn't feel "canned". I actually thought they happened because of something I did - like "oh shit what did I do WHAT DID I DO?!"

But there's been so many "me too" games since then that it would probably feel played out now.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    There must be somethign wrong with you...that like saying you hate Videogame Jesus
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    hrmph, some people just don't like ice cream

The Liz Taylor example was SPOT ON.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Where the fridge is Episode 3 at...? What happened to those 6-9 month dev time per episode deals...? It seems more like 2-3 years each, and then 3-4 hourstops gameplay... Which sucks.

Granted the HL series are awesome, but for me, HL1 was the best. It told an awesome story for its time and was a huge game for me. HL2 is still an awesome game but I'll be honest, I'm fed up of waiting for Episode 3 now...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel pretty much the same way about Halo. Meh, its fun but I don't get why a lot of people are so crazy gun-ho rabid for it.

As fun as it was, you couldn't get away from it if you tried. Especially Halo3, Halo Mt Due, Halo cereal, Halo thumb drives, I was shocked when they issued orders for mandatory "What Would MC Do" tattoos, good thing that was quickly overruled by the supreme court.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Remember that Half-life 2 came out only shortly after Doom 3. We were all used to samey corridors, tons of the same enemies, guns that just shot stuff and absolutely no story whatsoever.

I don't think HL2 is especially special in retrospect, but that's mostly because I rather dislike the heavy railroading.
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    I feel pretty much the same way about Halo. Meh, its fun but I don't get why a lot of people are so crazy gun-ho rabid for it.

Amen - I dont have a console, so I play the PC versions of everything... At the time it came out I really thought VISUALLY HL2 was far superior to Halo.
  • JesterBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JesterBox polycounter lvl 18
    I played through the first half-life only a few months ago and find it pretty intense. Despite a lot of liver spots. But then again I still have fun with Turtles in Time.

And that's mixed in with playing things like L4D and GOW2.

I like potatoes you like poetotoes.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I don't want to start a console flame war thread cause that shit is obnoxious, but I do feel hl2 was meant to be played on PC. something about the gameplay is so much more intuitive on a PC because source just seems to be designed for a mouse and keyboard.

also HL2 was above all else imersive, and when your face is a foot away from the screen is really forces you to get into it.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just can't forget how awesome was the view from the apartment rooftop during the chase episode.

The whole thing felt like a movie and if you was hl1 fan then it was even more awesome.

I just keep my fingers crossed that after EP3 and anything that is there to come out of valve, we'll get a solid surprise game in next few years - just like we did with HL2
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    by the time half-life 1 was out, i was already jaded by the awesome non-linear mission designed levels of goldeneye, and the enemies who actually reacted and flinched from being shot.
    half life seemed like a step back, with its more linear levels, enemies that could take multiple bullets without reacting, and such.
    still played through it 3 times though. as for half life 2.. meh.
    gravity gun was nice i guess.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    I tried playing that game multiple times but it's just sooooo boring! Maybe it gets better after the first 3 hours but i couldn't keep trying to find something interesting.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse wrote: »
    I tried playing that game multiple times but it's just sooooo boring! Maybe it gets better after the first 3 hours but i couldn't keep trying to find something interesting.

• Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha, sorry I just don't see the appeal :(. I tried HL1 time and time again and i can't get more then like 2 hours in. And with HL2 I tried playing it when I got the orange box and it just felt like a chore. I don't recall having any fun. Last thing i remember was the water boat part, i know i got a ways after that as well because I forced myself, but it just wasn't any fun. Granted this was probably a year and a half ago so it was still probably showing it's age.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Makes me wonder what games you DO enjoy?! :E
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    played hl2 on release, finished it and i liked it. but it wasn't really outstanding. it didn't feel like a sequel to hl1 i guess. perheps i haad too high or different expectations for hl2. wasn't really a horror shooter anymore. i don't know. i sure enjoyed doom 3 alot more.
    i also think that avp1 was the best shooter ever ;) a matter of taste i guess
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    It was the greatest experience in gaming for me, that was..until Episode 2 came out
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackwhat wrote: »
    Makes me wonder what games you DO enjoy?! :E

non-stop killing gallery shootfests is my bet.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think what it comes down to is this, to me it isnt really the "best" at anything, but hte production values are so high across the board, that it is an extremely tight product.
    Think about it,
    Good story
    Good gameplay
    Good graphics
    Good sounds

How many games can you honestly say do well on every front? Most games you say oh well the graphics are amazing, but the gameplay is a little boring, etc. Its just so consistantly solid, that it provides on wonderfully immersive universe, you're not constantly taken out of it by how poor the voice acting is, how lame the story is, or how retarded the gameplay mechanics are. Sure, you can over analize it and find faults in most everything if you try, but overall its just a very solid game.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix wrote: »
    played hl2 on release, finished it and i liked it. but it wasn't really outstanding. it didn't feel like a sequel to hl1 i guess. perheps i haad too high or different expectations for hl2. wasn't really a horror shooter anymore. i don't know. i sure enjoyed doom 3 alot more.
    i also think that avp1 was the best shooter ever ;) a matter of taste i guess

now thats a big joke. doom 3 more enjoyable? that must've been one of the worst troll-in-a-box shooters ever. the way the monsters came at you was just retardedly predictable.
    jumping zombies of HL2> every monster in doom3.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf wrote: »
    non-stop killing gallery shootfests is my bet.

Hahaha ouch :S. Do I come off as that bad? I didn't know not liking the HL series was such a bad offense. I like pretty much anything. I enjoy JRPGs, WRPGs, Shooters, Puzzle, Action, Platformer, Adventure and everything in between. Just nothing about HL2 grabbed me and made me care about anyone. Maybe if i played the original I might care about the characters but I don't know.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I think what it comes down to is this, to me it isnt really the "best" at anything, but hte production values are so high across the board, that it is an extremely tight product.
    Think about it,
    Good story
    Good gameplay
    Good graphics
    Good sounds

How many games can you honestly say do well on every front? Most games you say oh well the graphics are amazing, but the gameplay is a little boring, etc. Its just so consistantly solid, that it provides on wonderfully immersive universe, you're not constantly taken out of it by how poor the voice acting is, how lame the story is, or how retarded the gameplay mechanics are. Sure, you can over analize it and find faults in most everything if you try, but overall its just a very solid game.

^This.

EQ, lets touch boners.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It is a very consistent game, that's what I liked about it.
    They switched gameplay up a fair bit (although IMHO not as much as HL1 did, that was REALLY varied and original especially for the time), and there were always interesting places to go. I didn't find it got boring much.

That said, I put down Ep1 about halfway through and haven't bothered with Ep2 at all yet. I may go through them eventually at some point but right now I think I'd prefer re-playing the original Half-Life.
  • [Deleted User]
    I liked it a lot at the time, but find it unbearable now. Its strength had more to do with technical innovation than anything else imo
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I thought HL2 was amazing. I really enjoyed the journey. When I completed it, I was blown away by the massive journey I had been on, and all the great locations and set pieces. I loved the vehicles and environments and all the exploring, and hated Ravenholm and the zombie bits because, lets face it, it had been done so much better in other games that revolved entirely around zombies and claustrophobic environments.

I guess if you are the sort of gamer who needs 300 kills per hour, HL2 would seem dull. But for me, its about enjoying the journey. Try playing it on PC, maybe it blows on xbox; probably doesn't look as good, at the very least.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Mop: ep 2 blows 1 out of the water imo, I got bored with 1 but loved 2. give it a go :)
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    It is a very consistent game, that's what I liked about it.
    They switched gameplay up a fair bit (although IMHO not as much as HL1 did, that was REALLY varied and original especially for the time), and there were always interesting places to go. I didn't find it got boring much.

That said, I put down Ep1 about halfway through and haven't bothered with Ep2 at all yet. I may go through them eventually at some point but right now I think I'd prefer re-playing the original Half-Life.

I felt the same way about all of that. Push through Ep1, Ep2 is pretty good.

HL2 was good, but I played it late (and on a console too since I didn't have a decent PC at the time, blech) and I found it didn't grab me as much as original halflife did back in the day. Still, it stands out as one of the best games of the period.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Oh god, I thought I was alone.

I joined the HL2 party a couple of years too late. And yeah, it's a great game. It is immersive, it still looks good, some of the level design and stuff is brilliant.

But I just didn't quite enjoy it. I can't put my finger on it. I know it's a good game, I could feel the quality under my fingertips, but I didn't have as fun as I thought I should. And it's not because it's aged. I played the first Half-Life the last time about a year before I played HL2, I think, and I enjoyed that a whole lot more.

I just... I don't even know. HL2 is a great game, but I don't feel like I wanna play it again. I've never even considered any of the episodes. I'm pretty much just waiting for them all to come out so I can read up on the story. That's what interests me the most, but the gameplay does so little for me I'd rather read it than play it.

Very strange. Especially since I kinda wanna go back to the first game again now... it's been a while since last time...