Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Zbrush Rock Golem / Rock Models

Here is a creature that we had to do for class.This is my first attempt at Zbrush so I know it's obviously not up there with the pro's on this site but it's been a fun learning experience so if anyone has any comments id appreciate it

thanks

goler2.jpg

Replies

• Snowman
    Ok so I haven't gotten any replies and that's cool I still wanted to post a little more i realize I didn't give much to go on.

So this is my original concept that I had started with.My initial model changed quite abit from my concept I decided to take the model in a more earthy type direction what I originally had in mind was a demon type creature.

Colour.jpg

emo1col-1.jpg

Low Poly (Based on current work and is abit rough needs some tweaking)

LowPoly.jpg

back.jpg

Renders of the model in it's current state (still in progress cleaned up some stuff from before)
    render1.jpg

side.jpg

Back2.jpg

Always open for crits and comments I'll keep posting as i go
  • A.Kincade
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
  • A.Kincade
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking pretty cool thus far. It's a pretty sweet concept and the modeling looks pretty legit. I like the addition of the glowing eyes.

What size texture you working with here? Not sure if that's still a w.i.p. for you but maybe could use a little more variety layered into the diffuse. Seems like one big rock tex applied to whole thing.

Not sure if the hands read very well for your rock golem. Maybe model the hand as a rock shaped like a bawled up fist or something. Does not make for a more interesting profile but it might read better for the character. Just a thought.

Overall good start and keep up the good work.
  • Snowman
    The uv map is 1024 x 1024 and I agree with the hands comment that's probably the one thing that has bothered me while working on this.I plan on cleaning up the model now and re- working it again in ZBrush and then re-doing the texture one more time.

Thanks for the comments I'll keep those in mind while reworking it.
  • ericdigital
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    The thing that gets me the most is there is no main areas of interest and that all the rocks are just kind of muddy. It would be nice to see certain areas that are jagged and stand out, and other things to not only help with interest but also silhouette. I agree with A.K in adding more variation to the diffuse as well.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    sharpen that bad boy up, he looks soft now, and not verry rock like,. dload the damian standard brush and give that a go, its like a mix between pinch and standard, good for sharp edges, also i like hte fast mallet for carving faceted rocks, just move it quick an loose
  • Snowman
    thanks for the crits I'll give those brushes a try and the textures are being reworked this week thanks again keep em coming
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with the others, needs a better focal point... are you gonna animate it? it would be a hell of a lot easier to create the hands/feet/majority of joints as seperate objects, right now, he looks like a rock statue all fused together, and if he deforms while animating, then... will he be made of mud?
    last, he needs bigger/more badass hands, like the second concept or like large fists as Kincade said.
    good, especially for a first in zbrush! :)
  • binopittan