Home Technical Talk

Max 2009 viewport shenanigans

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Wells polycounter lvl 18
I may be doing something retarded, but I can't find out what.

3ds max 2009 32 bits likes to randomly switch my viewports to perspective and shift them a little. It is annoying.

any ideas? am I hitting mystery keys without realizing it?

Replies

• Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Are you using Vista? Does your mouse have horizontal scrolling on the scroll wheel?

Some of my objects and subobjects in Maya were mysteriously moving small increments away from their initial positions, even when I had been sure to have snapped them to the origin. I found out that Vista has enabled by default (and you can't turn it off) the horizontal scroll feature of the scroll wheel (if your mouse has it), unlike XP, which does not. What this does in Maya apparently is move whatever is selected sideways at very small increments. What this does in Max idk, but the small shift thing seems similar, that is if this is occuring when you're using the middle mouse button.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I have this problem too on max 2009, or at least a similar one... My Front/Side/Top views dont stay that way and get changed to perspective for what seems to be no reason at all. Sometimes I can force it to happen by randomly clicking around the view, but sometimes that doesnt work :/

Most of the time it happens when the perspective window is maximized and then I go back to quad-view to find some of them have changed to perspective too!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    isn't that some "intelligent" viewport feature new to 2009? i vaguely recall us having problems at work with it then someone posted the way to turn it off around. i don't remember details but checking "what's-new" documents for max2009 might enlighten you. :)

edit: seems we fixed it by installing either SP1 and/or something we got from the subscription programme.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I have it as well since max2009 - and its often driving me crazy. It occours when I have the perspective view - switch to top view (t- key) and then select and move sub elements.
    What happens then is that the top view gets transformed into a perspective view of somewhat the same angle but with completely different FOV ect. values.