Home Technical Talk

Vertex Normals Massacre

Hey PC, im working on a shotgun, and for some damn reason the normals on the verticies keep showing up. I've turned them off using display>polys>vert normal. however, whenever I select another object and return, the normals show again. Ive cleared history of all pieces as well as restarted maya and comp. any help would be appreciated. Its a pain to try and work through all those green lines.
shottyIssue.jpg

Replies

• kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    In case of strange black magic behavior in Maya incinerate Maya's \prefs\ folder :)

Found in C:\Documents & Settings\User\Maya\<MayaVersionNumber>\prefs

This will revert Maya back to default setting, but also usually "fixes" strange unexplainable issues like this. If you have any custom shelves you might want to extract them from the \prefs\ folder first.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    VikingJim wrote: »
    Hey PC, im working on a shotgun, and for some damn reason the normals on the verticies keep showing up. I've turned them off using display>polys>vert normal. however, whenever I select another object and return, the normals show again. Ive cleared history of all pieces as well as restarted maya and comp. any help would be appreciated. Its a pain to try and work through all those green lines.

sounds like it is turned on in preferences for "new" objects.

open preferences > polygons
    and deselect vertex normals from:
    "Polygons: Display Settings for New Polygons"

besides display > poly menu you mentioned

the vtx normals option also lives in display > poly > custom polygon display

And as an attr for each shape node:
    In the attribute editor go to yer shape node tab > open the "mesh component display" frame layout arrow and deselect "Display Normal"
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The odd thing is its only happening in this scene. Ive been congruently working on about 8 other scenes along with them, and this is the only one that is bugging out.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Export the object as an obj, start a new scene where this problem isn't occurring and import?
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glib- exported all as separate pieces and it worked brilliantly! thank you!