Home Technical Talk

Breaking up a large mesh in Zbrush

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
Any tips on breaking up large meshes in Zbrush?

Previously I'd have imported a mesh as subtools for garments, head, armour etc, but my domwar sculpt is one large organic blob sitting at around 3million polygons. Since the texture sizes are 2048 I might as well eventually subdivide it again to about 12 million - but that's going to be one HUGE tool.

My approach was to mask off the legs/underside and extract that to a subtool, then invert the mask and do the same for the upper, but I lost all the lower levels. I think I can do this again at a lower level, subdivide it and reproject.

Might it be better to export a low level, map it to make uvgroups and reimport?

Replies

• Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    You can recontsruct your lower level subdivisions any time in zbrush, activate UV's if not already (the model doesnt need to be unwrapped for this to work) and hit "reconstruct subdiv" click until you reach the lowest. Once you have done that, export your lowest subdivision, create the uvs in your 3D app and reimport, ctrl-shift + click will hide portions based on your UV islands.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    You can also opt to split pieces off at the lowest level of subdivision and retain all the subdivision history and sculpting for both the new split and the remaining geometry from the original piece.

Usually I'll divide the mesh up at the lowest level using polygroups, then hide the groups you want to split from what is visible (at lowest subdivision level) and then split them.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    There's a joke here about you not wanting "one HUGE tool" but it's too early on the sabbath to make it!

Exporting the lowest level, UVing it so that each piece you want as a subtool is on a different UV square, reimporting back into ZBrush and then splitting the lowest subdiv level into polygroups and breaking them into Subtools is what you're after. If you crease the edges of each subtool you wont get any gaps when you increase the subdivision levels and the mesh contracts slightly.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for this info! I'll hopefully get to try this tomorrow.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I usually do what Gwot does, but a bit different.

Go to lowest level, hide all but what you want and make the remainder it's own polygroup
    Go to the highest subd level
    Delete lower subdivision levels
    Delete Hidden
    Reconsctruct subdivison levels

You can only 'delete hidden' on the lowest level, If you delete from the lowest level for some reason zbrush tends to lose some detail on the higher levels. This is why you go to the highest level and delete the lower levels, so then you can delete the geometry there and keep all the detail.

By going to the lowest level and hiding polys you don't want (and creating the polygroup to make selecting it easier) you ensure you have a clean mesh that can be reconstructed back down to that level. If you were to do this process on a higher level then zbrush won't be able to reconstruct down as far.

So you can then just save this as a new tool, load up the old one and repeate the process on a different part, save that, then append it to the other piece.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This info is priceless, cheers all!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers again, that worked a treat
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cop = Rick
    Ninjas = Subtools

supercop.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was still a frustrating experience - the exporting, mapping an importing was easy, but having to delete all the lower levels and reconstructing them seemed like a massive workflow fuckup.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well depending on your system specs, 12m isnt really that big of a deal. Maybe in zbrush? I dont think you'de have too many problems rendering normals in XN for example with a 12m mesh.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, certainly a pain in the arse, haven't personally found a better way of doing it though :/ . I end up just planning more at the beginning, even opening up the calculator, putting in the base mesh polycount and keep multiplying by four so I can see what the numbers are like for higher levels. Based on that I then decide to put more geometry in or take some out.

I wish it was just a case of make polygroups, divide mesh and there you go, it's now all subtools with all your detail still in there.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With the technique I hastily outlined you don't need to do any reconstructing at all - it's all actually pretty painless.

After re-importing your UV'd meshes and setting up the polygroups for different UV areas you can go down to level 0 of your mesh and press the GRPSPLIT button inside the subtools pallette. This breaks the mesh up into subtools based on your polygroups and keeps all levels of subdivision intact.

Hours of frustrating reconstructing/ reprojecting/ smoothing ad infinitum saved!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oooooohhhhh.....I'll have to try that!

I'd probably just do the polygrouping in zbrush though, hate having to import models back into zbrush hehe.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad to help!

Yeah it depends on your workflow about which way to go about breaking your mesh up - getting a consistant, non-exploding mesh, back into ZBRUSH via MAX 2009 has been a painful process so I feel your pain on importing models back into ZBRUSH! I seem to have got all the bugs ironed out of the export process now though fingers crossed.

My base mesh human is already UVd and each chunk moved into its own UV square in MAX before bringing it into ZBRUSH so it's just a two click action to setup the polygroups and then break it up if you need to.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fatcap - your method is much simpler, but it crashed Zbrush for me *every* time. I had to resort to delete and reconstruct.