Home General Discussion

Education Advice( how not to become a hobo)

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
As most of you know there comes a time in life where you stand at the crossroads of life. Right now im standing in small interscetion of roads that some day may lead to a bigger highway and have a great impact on my life. My problematic schematic is that after finishing an education of 2 years that taught me a decent amount of knowledge of 3D and made me to the aspiring enviroment artist that I am today:) I am now considering weather to get more education or get a job. Right now I`m 21 and have an internship at a small compay here in Sweden.

If I am to get the job here at this small company, I would work long hours and have a small pay check, not to mention that you are stuck in a town the size of SuperMarket. Education would drag me out of there and maybe give me time to develop my skills so I can achieve a better starting job(and away from the shithole).

My next question then would be what kind of education I should get that would help me? Any advice and tips or some words of wisdom that would keep me off the streets or becoming a hobo will be greatly apreciated!

Replies

• glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have a job, I would take it. I learned more on the job in my first 2 months than I did at school in 8 months. Once you have your basics covered (and I would say you do, if someone was willing to hire you), its really up to you to keep pushing your skills. Keep at the job, build a good reputation for yourself as a hard worker, and keep working on personal projects to learn new skills and force yourself out of your comfort zone. That last part is really important, don't let yourself stagnate at work, not improving.
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    but, if you want to leave ever to go to the US, you probably need to have a certain degree requirement right?
    I went to my first job, to bring in a check, and continued my education at the same time. it's tough, and it sucked, but it worked out for the best i think.

tough call for sure.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know for a Canadian to get a US TN work visa requires post secondary education in this field (colleges and tech schools count), and 3 years experience. If that was 2 years of art education that should be more than enough.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    I would say take the job, and if available, take night or online classes for Gen-Ed stuff you will eventually need for a degree anyhow if you really want to have the degree route open for you.

At the very least, when you decide to go back to school you can get a bunch of the BS out of the way and focus on what you are really interested in.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Definitely take the job.

Education is good, but its not everything. Experience can count a lot more heavily, as I don't know a school anywhere that can fully prepare you for the workforce right out of it. You'd still have to put in loads of time on the side to get your skills up and maintain them at industry standards outside of school, so might as well take the job. The schools will be there later if you need them, or do like animatr says and do both. Just keep the schooling to a manageable level.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Real work experience is going to get you farther than any degree will.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I actually went to your school and i truly know what a horrible shithole the town is. (It even smells like one. They have some factory shit going on) and they dont even have a goddamn bar... or well.. they have one but that place is gnrgh.

I don´t really think there is a right and wrong answer here though.

1) Stay in the shithole. You would toughen up and strive to become a badass in art so you can get out of there. Work experience is always a plus as others have said.

2) More education. You are young after all. If i was in your situation i would apply to art schools all over and see what happens. Traditional art knowledge and pen-wielding is a must to be a badass in my opinion. Sure you can learn for yourself and everything.
    Also, a degree does help a shitton when it comes to getting into America and what not.

Anyway. My vote would be that you apply to a few various other companies and schools (Art-related) and take it from there. That way you have the job as a backup but might get a better opportunity elsewhere. It´s never bad to have more choices and no matter what choice you make and as long as you dont burn your bridges, You won´t screw yourself over. At least this is my opinion.

But yes. Don´t say no to the job just yet ;)

c0ldhands wrote: »
    As most of you know there comes a time in life where you stand at the crossroads of life. Right now im standing in small interscetion of roads that some day may lead to a bigger highway and have a great impact on my life. My problematic schematic is that after finishing an education of 2 years that taught me a decent amount of knowledge of 3D and made me to the aspiring enviroment artist that I am today:) I am now considering weather to get more education or get a job. Right now I`m 21 and have an internship at a small compay here in Sweden.

If I am to get the job here at this small company, I would work long hours and have a small pay check, not to mention that you are stuck in a town the size of SuperMarket. Education would drag me out of there and maybe give me time to develop my skills so I can achieve a better starting job(and away from the shithole).

My next question then would be what kind of education I should get that would help me? Any advice and tips or some words of wisdom that would keep me off the streets or becoming a hobo will be greatly apreciated!
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A lot of good advice here people, I thank you again for the time you took to anwer my call for help. After reading most of the posts here, most people agree on me taking the job and sticking with it, then develop my skills so they can someday take me out of that town. This is the way I see things:

-We really work long hours here, Im talking 9:30 am to as late as 19:30-20:00pm by the time I get home, that does not give me much space for a second "online" education, nor do I have much time for my own personal projects.

-As Im an entry level artist at a small company, it seems often that Im not used for my potential and instead i find myself doing work that doesnt get me anywhere, or does not develop me as an enviroment artist.(not allowed to say what kind of work because of the NDA, but u get me)

+Taking a break from this would help set up a portfolio (as most of my stuff now are outdated ) and some time to develop what I have learned so far.

+I also aim for a higher role in the industry when Im older, im thinking art director or at least some kind of lead position. That would require some extra degree in some kind of art school. Any adviceon that matter?(that I think is the most important part for me, that I someday will shape games in my vision and really get to contribute to the gaming industry with my ideas...if that ever happens)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +I also aim for a higher role in the industry when Im older, im thinking art director or at least some kind of lead position. That would require some extra degree in some kind of art school. Any advice on that matter?(that I think is the most important part for me, that I someday will shape games in my vision and really get to contribute to the gaming industry with my ideas...if that ever happens)
    Most of the AD's I have ever met worked their way up into the position. Maybe they're all "old school" from back before education was taking a more prominent roll, but every last one of them has been really good at their job. Mostly because of the path they took to get there.

My current AD graduated from a Art Institute back before they where ever teaching anything like what they are now. He's a great AD but its easy to tell how he got where he is. Great artistic and leadership skills.

Of course if you're applying for the position of AD from the outside (not working your way up internally) a higher ed degree could help. But it's going to be more about your artistic skill and your ability to lead and guide people.

Sorry to hear about the long hours, that's rough. Its going to be hard to get anything done in your spare time. Personally I wouldn't stick around any place that worked me that hard and didn't have some kind of compensation, more pay, a higher ranking job ect... But maybe there's a chance to prove your leadership skills or perhaps grow in the tech artist field by helping them rework their pipeline so they don't have to work such crazy hours? This could be a good talking point in future interviews...

Expanding your technical knowledge could be a good way grow and learn as a next step. If you're going back to school I think tailoring it to help in this area would be highly beneficial. Artists with the knowledge and technical skill to make some pipeline roadblocks disappear are a prized jewel to be guarded. Mostly because it requires to learn two very different ways of thinking, sometimes one will win out over the other. If I was in your position and felt I had a good grasp on the art tools, I'd look to learn something more like some kind of programing language commonly used, such as python, Mel, and Maxscript.

If going back to school is what frees you up to work on your portfolio it could be a good idea to go back. I wouldn't count too much on that higher ed doing much for you other then giving you more time or possibly fulfill the requirements for a work visa?

Also the market, she's not doing so hot right now. So instead of banging your head on closed doors it might be a good time to bunker down and work on the skills.
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This coming from someone who went to a traditional art school - take the job.

But that statement is an oversimplification.

If your goal is to advance in this industry, then the sooner you get your feet in it the better. I would keep your enthusiasm in check though. We all started wanting to make our own superfly-TNT games, but most of us now just want to make sure we get a paycheck.

College is a great experience. You meet lots of new people, you learn many interesting, enlightening, and dirty things, and it's just a fun time all around. It has to do more with personal growth, and little to do with a career in this field. I know here and there people say, "oh a traditional art degree will take you far in the gaming field". It's rubbish. No one gives a shit about it. In all my interviews, no one has asked me about my schooling, they just want to talk about work. Even mod experience has way more weight than a bachelor's degree.

But you should consider college because it will make you a better person. Life is not all about work, and despite what Obama says, you won't be able to do everything you set your mind to. In college I met my current girlfriend, the love of my life, the woman who I will probably marry and have a busload of kids with, and just for that it was worth it.

You're young and you have to time to do it all. I was 25 by the time i finished my undergrad so I needed money fast.

I think this issue can be broken down into simpler requirements.

For a successful gaming career:
    You need 3D skills. You're learning those at your current job. Even though it may seem boring and beneath your expertise, you're still learning and practicing.

You need traditional art skills, drawing, composition, color relationships etc. You can learn these in college, you can learn them by yourself, you can learn them in a Saturday class at your local art studio. You have lots of options but you do need these skills to be not just a good artist but a great artist.

You need to keep your work updated, and learn new things. I could go on and on on this topic, but we all know how it works and this post is long enough for now.

So yeah....
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I'd take the job
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Just getting any job, especially that first one can be very difficult. If you have one on the table, I'd seriously consider taking it.

My first art job was in medical animation. Dry as hell, but I learned a lot and got to do personal projects in the downtime.

Being in a small town with little to do also may have its advantages. Set aside a couple of evenings a week for personal projects and portfolio development. After all, you won't be missing much socially, right?
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    I would take that job i think. ok the school where i am currently is really cool cause our biggest focus is on develop our own games. And i learned a lot in only making games with few other students but the most i learned here at pc i think and own training :D

what ArtsyFartsy said about traditional art in games industrie if funny cause my traditional art teacher here told us for art director it would be only helpfull and for concept artist.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -We really work long hours here, Im talking 9:30 am to as late as 19:30-20:00pm by the time I get home, that does not give me much space for a second "online" education, nor do I have much time for my own personal projects.

-As Im an entry level artist at a small company, it seems often that Im not used for my potential and instead i find myself doing work that doesnt get me anywhere, or does not develop me as an enviroment artist.(not allowed to say what kind of work because of the NDA, but u get me)

+Taking a break from this would help set up a portfolio (as most of my stuff now are outdated ) and some time to develop what I have learned so far.

+I also aim for a higher role in the industry when Im older, im thinking art director or at least some kind of lead position. That would require some extra degree in some kind of art school. Any adviceon that matter?(that I think is the most important part for me, that I someday will shape games in my vision and really get to contribute to the gaming industry with my ideas...if that ever happens)

Your situation is so very close to the one I was in, I had to post one more time here. I was 22 when I was working my first job in an almost permanent crunch period that meant my days were almost the exact same as yours. The work was simple and un-challenging, but there was a lot of it that needed to be done. I stagnated artisticly for months, but I also built up a reputation in the company as a fast, efficient worker who you could take anything to and trust it would get figured out.

Experience, contacts and who-you-know is everything in this industry. You won't get any of that in school.

My biggest mistake was thinking that I had 'made it' and stopping to push myself on my own. Long hours or not, the only way I was going to get better is to put in time on the weekends on my own stuff. I didn't, and it came back to bite me in the ass. If you have high aspirations for where you want to be in 5, 10, 15 years, then you need to do what so many others on this forum do, and just live and breath 3D, especially in your early days.

Use your days at work to build connections, experience and reputation.
    Use your weekends to build your artistic ability.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    9:30 to 19:30-20:00 (get home time) would mean that you work until 19:00 or so? If that's it, that is a slightly long day from my experience, but not exactly a crunch. My average day is about 8:30 to 18:00 or so, give or take a little. I understand that you're in Europe and all where things might be different with work days and weeks, but here in the US, the hours that you state would be fairly typical in a slightly busy studio. If this is the case, just looking for a job in a different studio might mean little improvement in hours worked.

In any case, you still have several hours to do what you like in the evening, or even in the morning. Do some portfolio development when you can in this time.
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    I would kill to be able to get an internship or junior artist position at a game studio. Ok, I'm kidding, I wouldn't kill... again, I would just feel very fortunate to have that job as I'm sure I would learn 10 times more than I did in school. From hearing other peoples experiences with their first few months at a game studio, that's when the learning really starts. Plus they pay YOU to learn. (small or large paycheck, you're still getting paid to do something you love) If you go to school again, you have to pay THEM to learn new things.

The whole world economy is in the shitter. I'd play it safe and stick with where you're at now and see how the rest of the year plays out. It's never too late to go back to school. And you're pretty young, just be careful not to burn any bridges with the studio you're at now.

Good luck to you my friend! Cheers.

Edit: I'm diggin' the Medieval project on your site by the way. Very nice.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you alot all for writing and giving advice, seems like most of you were in the same position at a giving time and most of you would stand in my position maybe not far from now. I see from the comments that most of you encourage me to look in the job direction, many of you like "ArtsyFartsy"(that comes from an art university),Vig and Ryno know what they talk about.

Now as I start to process all the downsides and upsides of both options I get more and more confused of what I should do. The logical choice would be to take the job, but I have to think also of myself and what would satisfy me and my needs(What is logic or what the heart desires?). Goin to work when Im 21 means long way to retirement.

At the same time Im thinking that maybe this unecesary economic crise would probably come to an end by the time I study and put up a new portfolio, maybe it would get worse. Maybe the company I work on now would be forced to shut down in the future. Maybe and maybe, there are a million of outcomes and decesions, I should say I have to think this trough from beginning to end. But i guess the again that there are no shortcuts in life nor good or wrong decisions, but only a two sided coin. Every decision comes with pros and cons.

Gues I have to spin my head arround this tonight and get real.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    ''there are no shortcuts in life'' mostly true ''nor good or wrong decisions'' Wrong, there is terrible decisions that will fuck you up! Choose carefully. Times are pretty tough, in sweden the unemployment rate is record bad. I know work experience counts for quite a bit, you are always going to get asked how many yrs of experience you have, titels you worked on. If you think you are not getting anything challenging to tell your employee maybe you will be given a chance to make something you might not otherwise been offered. (they might not know how you feel)
    Hehe ohwell that smell is pretty bad, my peers mention it everytime they talk about that place! :)

Sorry i dont know enough about the situation so I cant say if I think you should stick with the job or go study someplace. Go with your gut feeling, you know more than anyone else what you want to do. GL
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, been thinking now, talked to both friends and parents.My dad especially knows alot about how it is to fight your way up, as he was part of the working class and working his way up.

So decided I would go for the jobb, but still applying for some schools as some kind of last resort. Ill just have to suck it up I guess for a period of time and do my best to at my jobb and evolve as an environment artist generally. Hopefully, maybe 5 years from now I would look back at the choices I made and realize that maybe that wasnt so bad afterall. Wish me luck people and maybe I see some of you on the "battlefield" a couple of years from now;)
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    good luck to you :thumbup:
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like you hate your job and the place you live quite a bit. Don't let that get to you. Everyone hates their jobs and where they live. No I really mean it. Everyone does. With time you just give up your dignity and your soul, and wait for the sweet embrace of death.:poly142:

You're not going to be stuck where you are for the rest of your life, so don't worry about that. The way the world is going, you'll probably have lived in 10 different countries by the time you're 50.

Just stick with your job for about 6 months to get a feel for it, and after that you can reconsider if you want to go to college. Life doesn't have to be a prison. If you're not happy where you are, you can change it for the better.

By the way, if you go to college, and a girl asks you to help her find her classroom, you run. You hear me, you run for your life!
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    take the job, they have a knack for chaining together once you've been working for long enough.

Timing is everything in life, if you have an opportunity to work now, it might disappear later when you are in school or out of school.

My first animation studio job hired me out of my classroom, I applied, better more skilled guys didn't and decided to stay and finish. I got hired, worked through the rest of the year and finished 3 months after the others graduated, then the contract ended, I had time to work on portfolio stuff, then I got picked back up when work started again.

Those guys that stuck around and graduated? They had to wait a full year before they even got to sniff the inside of the studio, and quite possibly another 3 or 4 months before they could actually make money.

Be ready when opportunity knocks.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Maybe it's just me but working in a job that wasn't my dream job was a lot more motivation to get into my dream job than school ever was. I'd definitely say take the job, work on your skills and as your portfolio grows you'll land the job you want soon enough.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    And remember that no matter how bad you think the town or the job is, Ryno has lived and done worse.

Have you ever lived in Coalinga, California, USA (see image below)? Or worked as a mosquito repellent tester?

ig14_earthquake_04_09.jpg
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe, had some laughs here with your post Ryno, and some good advices there ArtsyFartsy(run from girls that ask for classroom directions,check). By the way, Im working on a new layout for my online portfolio, all made by me this time(no stoopid generated layout), gonna post it up here soon. Im just keeping my opportunities open here, and stepping my game up... (Did that just sound gangsta? Oh, I know it did!)

Happy Easter everyone!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Sorry, but education (in this industry) is complete crap. Studios care about what you can do, not your degree. If you have no education but can still model and texture like a pro, you'll have the same chance of landing jobs.

I'm quite open about how stupid I am, hah. I never went to college - simply couldn't complete the base courses. I held a 2.0-2.3 GPA through most of my high school years. I never even touched a PC until 1998. I taught myself everything I needed to know. I think I'm doing pretty well for not being college educated, having already been a developer for 9 years.

If you want to be in game development, it's about what you can do. Period.

Also, if you don't want to work long hours for low pay at a game studio, then that's fine. Work a normal job, making a better wage and start teaching yourself on the side. I was working a hardcore physical labor job as a glass cutter for over 2 years, while I taught myself 3D art/dev. It's not easy, but certainly not impossible, either. Just depends on how bad you want it. DO IT. :D
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well vassago. There´s one thing you´re missing here.

You = American
    He = Swedish

Major part of the game industry is in america. At least most of the cool ones.
    Getting a work visa without a degree = HARD (but possible). You getting work here is as far as i know much easier than the other way around. America is locked down pretty tight.

And i think most companies won´t care about you unless you have one.
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is from the April 2009 issue of gamedeveloper magazine. Survey of game developer salaries. There are differences between US and Europe, Europe generally having lower salaries.

salary_survey.jpg
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha, that chart makes me glad I didn't finish my Bachelors.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Crap. I always thought that Design would be more marketable than Art. Shows what I know about business. Should have gone into programming. I'd be making bank if I had gone into programming.

On topic, I understand that Sweden is pretty big for indie game development. Of course, indie development isn't as good for paying the bills. Hopefully emerging digital distribution solutions will provide greater publishing opportunities for small developers.

As to education, I would strongly recommend learning a little MySQL. Especially if you are in the process of redesigning your website. Giving your website a database back-end is a good way to make it easir to update, and can provide a greater number of Web 2.0 opportunities in the future. Also, knowing how to produce and manage databases is a highly marketable skill.
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well that chart can be misleading because it is averaged across all levels of experience. So an Art Director with a GED making 120k a year, and a junior artist with a GED making 40k a year, would average 80k a year, which doesn't tell you anything really.

I think that's why salaries appear to be irrelevant of education level. However, except for artists, a higher education should get you a higher starting salary. A masters in Computer Science starts at much higher pay than someone who is self taught with no college degree.

I could post images of all their salary charts but some asshole would complain i'm sure. These lawers are killing us.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    PIG - yeah, missed that. Wasn't mentioned in his post and I didn't bother to look to the left and see his avatar text :P

Education for the purpose of getting a Vista is ridiculously important, no doubt. I worked with a bunch of brits at 5000ft, and they talked about all that jazz. Not fun, to be sure.

As for those lower salaries artsy fartsy - european workers generally get a lot more time off than most other nations. The average US worker gets 10 vacation days a year (which we usually also have to use for sick days as well).
    Here's a few other euro nation tallys: Denmark (31days/yr), France (25days/yr), Germany (24days/yr) and Ireland (20days/yr). It doesn't sound like much, but time off prevents workers from getting burned out. A worker in Denmark gets 4 1/2 weeks off per year, while I get barely over a week! And if I get sick, I have to take time out of that. Less time off = more pay for us = more stress for us = we suck.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yikes that does suck Vassago. If we get sick we have sick days and/or unpaid days off. It doesn´t get taken out of our holiday-quota.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    That chart absolutely makes no sense to me other than Artists work hard and get paid less than your programming or pencil pushing schmuck.

Bachelors or not, the skills need to be there, for any job. It's common sense.

If you suck at flipping burgers, then you're not going to flip burgers.

I wouldn't come to conclusions from a chart.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    true, but Vassago your in on something there, specially in this kind of line, its almost as your married with the job. Anyway, I myself couldnt be thinking of working else where outside of Europe, In both the US and Japan people tend to work alot, im not saying that in Europe we dont, but it feels like there is a better system here generally, even though we dont get as much paid. I myself just want to be happy where I work, as long as there are nice offices and good coffe and get to work at awesome games, then Im happy.