Home Technical Talk

Alpha Depth Biased shader

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
Does anyone know how to setup the depth based alpha shader in UE3? Thanks..

Replies

• raithen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I usually multiply the alpha output of a vertex color expression, with the alpha of the texture I'm using for the particles. Then I filter this into the alpha of the DepthBiasedAlpha expression. This, in turn gets output into the opacity node.

The number in the DepthBiasedAlpha expression is supposed to determine when the particles "disappear" rather than clipping into mesh. However, this is usually tweaked by someone else other than myself. So I can't really give any concrete advice on what to use there. I always start with 32, and I haven't heard any complaints.

Does that help you?
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am looking for a shader node setup. I am using ti for debris,dirt piles and water stuff like that. I want to make sure I have the proper maps etc and then how to set thme up in the editor..
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    its literally just this man
    dont need any images etc for it to work but it does need to be an unlit translucency. Which means using it for solid stuff... might be a little problematic as you'd need to fake lighting
    Depth_.JPG

depth2.JPG
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Slightly what is plugged into the Alpha and Bias nodes? Are those constants?
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I am dumb I jsut figured it out. Thank you very much..