concept:
DW4_Front_Left.jpg

Replies

• javier.deandres
    very very nice, i love it
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like it can't wait to see it in 3d!

You can finish it just keep on telling your self "YOU CAN DO IT!"
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, really nice concept piece!! Is that a little lady in there under all that huge armour and grunge?? Awesome, I love it.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    SWEEEET Wizo`s in, you better finish foo!

might be cool to try some different hair style, The current one doesn't seem intended for battle, like everything else does.
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    I dig. She's not very tough looking though.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    oooh. I'm intrigued! Show us more!! :D
    Think cold is right tho, she's looks awesome, but she's gonna be up against some pretty heavy stuff. Might be that she needs some crazy creative element that pushes her over the top . . . or some asymmetry with what you already got :o
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Lovely style you've got going on there, and I like your palette choices - great use of muted greens.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    after seeing like 3 kick ass concepts of a chick with a sword on CGtalk.ru I decided to make something else while keeping some design elements in there.

konstruct - Hey thanx man! I agree, on the 2nd warlord variation I tried to make her hairstyle more suited for action :)

coldkodiak - I agree, shes kind of Guild wars-ish but Ill push her facial expression so that she looks a bit more angry and hungry for battle.

SlipStream - Thx, I posted more sketches and ideas.

Javier, KillaBall, Mezz, Rick - thanks!

WizoDW4_01.jpg

I started this monster-demon sketch ...just for the heck of drawing a demon demonthumb3.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that weapon he has on the end of that chain is just pure nasty. that thing would do some gruesome damage to anything it touches.

ps i think this may be the only female demon hunter/ warlord ive seen so far, real standout like it bunches!

-Woog
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    wow amazing work so far, looking forward to more
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Woogity: Thanks! I like that spike weapon too ! Im still undecided on what concept to choose but im leaning toward the demon hunter aswell.

HntrLuc: thanks a bunch! :)

another idea:
    WizoDW4_02.jpg

I had my fun concepting, but its time to lock down what concept im sticking to.

DW4_Sketches.jpg

1,2,3?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    hey wizo I kinda like 3 but that might just be because of all the pretty colours. 2 is good too but doesnt have alot of interesting shapes(the armour is subtle)
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Ged, thanks for your input, I tried to make 2 a bit more interesting by adding some equipement but I want him to look like some kind of fast moving mage/ninja or something :)

Heres an update on the front view to help the modeling.

frontview-1.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    um woah cool details man i defiantly agree that 2 is tops. hope you can get it all done by this point! keep workin on it!

-Woog
  • Jeff MD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2 and 3 is great. but arent you going to consider the demon as well?
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    woog : Thanks for the support man, im definately going try and pump up a model before the end, in the case I cant. Ill make it a 2D entry.

Jeff MD: Thx! yeah I had this demon sketch polished up a bit but, I wanted to make something more human like since last Dominance war I made aliens/demons, I want to push and learn more about human anatomy this year.
    You can see its similar to the concept im working on, the demon kinda turned into someting human hehe. So anyway, heres the demon where I left it at.
    demonsketchWIP01.jpg

INVOKER

Modeling sheet : DW4_Front_Left.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Wow! There's loads of really good stuff in here... any of those concepts would be great as a model... so pick one and hurry up! :)
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks MoP! I really need to get workin....

Blocking:Blockin.jpg
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    some progress :
    invokerwip_00.jpg

trying to pull off as much as I can in max, but sooner or later, Ill need to figure out how to use zbrush again.....ugh...
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    I had some fun getting some cloth work done, sadly, Its pretty much garanteed I wont make it in time,

the arms, the fan thingy hanging from his back and the fingers arnt polished yet... and all the low poly job ahead...+textures... more work than I thought heh, oh well, I fu*ked up my time management but learned alot.

I promised myself I would finish this character, in time or not. Next dominance war I REALLY REALLY need to stick with the 1st character idea.. maybe I got time to make a 2D Demon Hunter entry, Ill sleep on it...

Iyoki_02.jpg
    Iyoki_03.jpg
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    forgot to add a front view:

Iyoki_04.jpg
  • haZe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haZe greentooth
    Nice wrinkle work so far. Hurry, hurry!

Did you use an alpha/tracks for the zipper? Just curious how you did it.
  • fei-rukawa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like your concept art, and your modeling come nicely!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good progress wizo, hope we can finish in time :P
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    thanks haZe!! For the zipper I made it in max, I took a mid res version of the object from zbrush, exported it to max, selected the middle edge of the vest and used "create shape from selection" to make a spline out of the edge selection.

Then I modeled two zipper segments (basically rectangles) and duplicated that along the spline with the "Spacing tool". If what I just wrote is unclear Ill make a tutorial with images if you wish. right now I need to get some sleep :)

fei-rukawa - Thanks!

Ged- Hey Ged! Thanks for stopping by, you are cracking quite an entry, go go for the final push we ll make it! 7 days extention wooohoo! :)

I did a quick bake test: (lots of normal bugs, ill re-bake and clean) its just for a preview

Iyoki_Wip.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks pretty good, seems youve got all the detail you need in there, looking forward to colours you always excel at painterly colours :)
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks ged, heres what I have in mind for the color scheme

1-copy.jpg

I still havnt figured out his magic abilities so ill need to think about that very soon,

I polished the low poly, its cleaner and I made some proportions tweaks etc... Its kinda lacking that fantasy touch, but with the flag thing + some FX it should be looking cooler;

Low poly:8100 triangles

Iyoki_00.jpg

I am open to any colors suggestions/paintover :), I hope you like it.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Heres an update on the shader.

Wizo_Iyoki_Maomset.jpg

I just tried out the Maomset Toolbag engine, its seriously the best tool ever, it really help me figuring out colors, making fast tweaks. I love the intutiveness of it. Props @ 8monkey!

Ill try out different fire projectile effects and update asap.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice work, I like the colours in your paintover cant really see them in this marmoset screeny, maybe theres too much shader/filter going on there
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    hey ged, thanks for the tip.. yeah Ill need to tone it down, it seems like everything is reading like metal right now. I havnt spent much time on the spec map yet, so ill polish it to hopefully get something more readable in the end.

Here's an idea of magic representation, something like smoke/electricity flowing around the character

Wizo_Iyoki_Maomset_01.jpg
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    update:
    4.jpg

I did some shader tweaks, tried a different color scheme and this is what I ended up with... I kinda like it but I am really going to try and focus onthe SFX this week. Crits appreciated.
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    it's cool dude, but you might want to change the swirl or color, as it looks kinda like the cgland motif.

Really nice clean model. I dig it. I dunno if magic really fits into his overall idea though. Maybe some cool weapons or something.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dig it too. Nice and clean. Normals really aren't popping in your Marmoset screens though - you sure the settings are ok? He also needs to show some offensive capabilites methinks, either by using some badass magic in the beauty shot or by having some weapon - right now he looks a bit harmless!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the new colours are a little too dull for me, I still wanna see it in the colours that you used in the paintover but that might just be me. Agree with rasmus, Im not seeing much normal mappage in those marmoset screens
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    coldkodiak : Thanks!! I changed the swirl I hadnt payed attention to other teams hehe, so thanks for noticing! As for the weapons I was thinking of some giant fan shaped blade, but unfortunately I dont have much time left for a weapon design so it might be a cheap trick but ill stick to some magical effects.

rasmus: thanks man! Ive added a final preview thing to what kind of composition im looking for in the beauty shot, let me know what you think.

Ged: Yup, totally agreed on the color issue, so I went back and make some tweaks to the shaders, spec values etc... try to push more saturation and values in there, Im thinking about adding a camo pattern or other patterns into the cloth, let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks guys for your comments, heres a little update with a preview of what Im aiming at. Crits are very welcome.

Iyoki_Invoker_04.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    colours are getting better, I like the glowing eyelights, not sure about that murky smoke - will have to see more
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    glad too hear colors are working better! And yeah the smoke thing was kind of akward, so instead I made him a dual blade wielder, his kite thing will help him whirldwind into air and slash anything coming nearby.

Yay pedestal's done. I went for simplicity :)

render_00.jpg
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    differents angles:

views00.jpg
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Nice looking character Wizo, the really clean style and bold colors (older posts) gives it a very mirrors edge type feel. I think you should keep the orange tips on the kite thing though, it adds a little much needed color to it. And it would be nice to see some lower angle views of him, these extreme downward angles are kinda awkward. Plus if you say he can like whirlwind himself into a battle it would make sense that he is coming down on an emeny who would most likely be looking up at him. But yea man definately a cool character, I look forward to seeing some poses.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    thanks Nrek, I followed your tips.
    Heres a pose for the presentation shot and pose for the beauty shot.
    C&C appreciated.

pose2.jpg

pose.jpg
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome dude! That beauty shot pose is perfect.
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Really really cool, so clean :D

Nice poses.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    loving the pose, its like mirrors edge meets gi joe
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Nrek, Massbot, Ged - Thanks you guys!!!

As usual DW4 was a blast, and as usual I am very happy its finished haha. Fighting for Polycount was an honor :) this forum is the best!

Good luck to everyone, and thanks so much for the comments, they have helped me improving in my work.

Thanks!

Finals:

textsheet.jpg

PresentationShot.jpg

BeautyShot_00.jpg

constructshot.jpg

texturesheet.jpg

conceptsheet.jpg
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    wow, very nice sheets! congratulations :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NICE! Great weight and pose. I really like the zbrush work, nicely detailed without being noisy. =)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    excellent work wizo :D I'm sooo happy its over too!
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Very nice, but do something (a bit blur) with edges od blades. :)
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Thank you guys, I appreciate the comments!

Pussik - thx! Yeah I forgot to put some AA in the render, next time Ill render it 200% then downscale for smoother results.

This year, for real, is the last time.... HAS to be the last time, I get carried away with making 2D art. I really need to stick with one concept to refine it as much as possible. And next year, its going to be a female character, I really need to do girls.... I mean to practice girl anatomy :)

it would awesome if next year, someone could shout " YO WIZO, stick with that girl character idea dammit"

so thanks again for the support, I wouldnt have finished it without the PC love.
  • Exitrockstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sick render,amazign amigo,props..!!!!!!!!!