Home General Discussion

A desperate call for help

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
shotgun polycounter lvl 19
Hi all, this is a last-minute last-resort call for help in finding a job. As a foreigner residing in the US, my visa status is tangible and I was just informed I must have a job offer valid by next month, even as an internship, to be eligible for renewing my work permit. Otherwise, I'll be sent home.

I started my way here many years ago in the hopes of one day doing what we all love, and I've come really close, but in the risk of having it all slip away I come back to this community asking for help. I'm not a 3D artist, but I hope one of you can find use of my skills. I'm a texture artist essentially, and can relocate anywhere immediately. Salary isn't a factor.

Please let me know if you can think of something.
Thanks,
Eyal.

My website

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    What kind of a job are you looking for if you don't have 3d skills then? Would it be possible to just get a job as a stock person at Target/Walmart/Best Buy or something like that? Otherwise, I'd highly suggest checking with a contract house.

For job searches, I like to use http://www.indeed.com or http://www.simplyhired.com . They both are job search sites that search other job sites.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    How's being desperate going to change anything?
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    If I could help I would. Does it matter what type of job it is, or does it have to be game related?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    pliang wrote: »
    How's being desperate going to change anything?

How is being a douche going to make anyone like you?

Best of luck shotgun. You're an inspirational texture artist, hopefully someone will take notice.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Deathelmz wrote: »
    THE MAJORITY OF US ARE DESPERATE, NOTHING CHANGES NOTHING.
    You are. A Free Agent of God, DO his Bidding. Under any circumstance you shall not give up your enterprise.

Someone get this guy outta here.

* ... sorry to hear about this, Shotgun. How did this situation just sneak up on you like it did, though? It seems like you have an incredible talent when it comes to texture painting ... think you could try and swing some concept work? Try looking around for some concept contracts.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Well seeing as no one else besides SupRore seemingly bothered to check this dudes home page, its apparent he is a texture artist. **edit, ok some of you guy are :P 4 posts in the time i was typing

Shotgun: maybe edit your post to be more descriptive and say what kind of work in this field you would be looking for. your work on your website seems pretty decent, but you have to realize that most studios dont seem to be hiring anyone but the best these days due to penny pinching.

worst comes to worst like others have said try for even a simple job if you want to stay, even if it is only temporary. I dont know the conditions of the job requirements if it has to be a certain salary range etc. I would focus on getting the visa settled and then continuing on with the pursuit of your dream job.

Deathelmz: jesus christ man do you even think before posting? the guy was just asking for help man.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    LOL Death wtf are you smoking?

Shotgun, that blows, do you have a portfolio online we can pass around?

ETA: Ok, am I blind? Where's his site? I couldn't find a link in his post, sig or profile?
  • Joseph Silverman
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks Sup, are we looking at the same profile?!

http://boards.polycount.net/member.php?u=13974

ETA: GAH! Stupid "Contact" tab that I kept missing!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    florida probably isn't the best place to look for a game job. I've noticed a lot of game companies will put ads for low-paying production jobs on craigslist as it's not worth spending the money to put one on gamasutra if you're just looking for someone to clean up and organize files. Bitch work is still work. Good luck shotgun, love your arts.

also, wtf is wrong with deathelmz?
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    Deathelmz: jesus christ man do you even think before posting? the guy was just asking for help man.

I agree, that was some pretty stupid shit.

Shotgun you got some great texture painting skills, do what others have said n find some shitty job to hold ya over while ya keep on the hunt for a video game job. Couldnt hurt to try n learn how to model in your spare time too
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    dunno, but he seems like he's 12 to me. I wish we had the ability to ignore posts/users and not have them show up on forums... but then again... the day wouldn't be so entertaining without the trolls. :P

btw, shotgun, by the sounds of it, you should be taking advice of the guys that are saying florida is not much of a hotspot for gaming, just get a job...any job you can get for now and set up a plan to get you somewhere where there IS a market for your skills and also build on what you got.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Damnit dude, I'd help if I could! Best of luck.

Adam: can you please kick Death for the good of polycount?
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    for those saying he should just get a shit job... I'm not 100% sure on this, but he probably needs a "skilled worker" type job to renew his visa. (ie - something besides retail/service)
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    thats lame... still, worst comes to worst you just head home for a while. Not all that bad right?
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    OK, back on subject guys..

I passed this thread along to the couple people I could think of, shotty. I'll be pullin' for yah.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Eyal! I hope it doesnt come to that! learn some 3d dood! Everybody knows you're awesome. Its just a matter of working really hard now and making it happen.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Folio spam, shotgun, that's about all I can suggest. I'm coming up on bad times as well (old folio, contract ends in a month, no prospects), but we can only do our best.

Hope it works out for ya.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    death I don't know where you came from recently but you are insane.

shotgun, I really hope you are able to find something soon. your work is solid enough, just gotta look in the right places. maybe run out to GDC asap!?? I know, that costs $$ :\

still, good luck!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i rarely get pissed by trolls, but someone ban the shit of deathhelmz.

Shottie, sucks to hear that man , im going to gather some contacts and see how i can help. My only advice would be to continue producing kickass assets :)

Dont let it get you down man, that feeling is like poison.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What the hell you don't have a job!? Seriously? I swear I thought you landed something?
    I think I'd go with option B and take any job that fills the requirements like people have suggested, and then get crackin on learning a 3D app and then start kickin doors in.

I've got nothing more to offer then support, sorry buddy, but you've got the talent in spades, we believe in you shotgun you can do it!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    nice texture work shotgun, hope it works out for you.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Ferg wrote: »
    for those saying he should just get a shit job... I'm not 100% sure on this, but he probably needs a "skilled worker" type job to renew his visa. (ie - something besides retail/service)

exactly.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    This thread made me lol so hard. ban hammer plz.

Hope you find work soon shotgun. Can't find a link to your work though? Might wanna put one in your first post...that would help recruiters decide.
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just read through this whole thread, and actually, i agree most with deathelmz.

I understand you don't want to leave shotgun, but times are tough, and many people are in your situation.

Actually no, many people are in far, far worse situations than yours. Your bio says you're from Israel, and you probably have family there who can take care of you (I'm assuming). That's not the worse country in the world to go back to, and fortunately it doesn't seem like you have a lot of obligations here to keep you (family, house, etc.)

Your dreams of being a big time game developer are being set back, and you're upset. It's understandable, and I have been in many such life imploding moments, but dude....tough shit. You just need to suck it up, and get on with it. You're not dying of cancer, you're not about to lose your house and life savings, you don't have kids you can't afford to feed, and a wife you can't afford to keep.

Your situation is shitty, but instead of being creative about your options and possible solutions, you're being even more rigid and desperate about staying in this crappy unstable business.

All's I'm saying is, if everyone who was desperate for a job came posting in here, there would be 10000 new threads a minute.

And yes, your portfolio is very good, and i wish you the very best. Maybe luck will smile on you.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Man Shotgun. You have awesome texture work just keep applying. Apply everywhere.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seriously, kick him out. I'm mostly a lurker and he even pisses me off. Seems polycount's not the only place he's a knob on...

Dude's been banned from conceptart.org already for being a dick;
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/member.php?u=48845

And I really don't want to comprehend this stuff he wrote on another forum;
    http://nostradamus.org/f/index.php?topic=87.msg127#msg127
    http://nostradamus.org/f/index.php?action=profile;u=134;sa=showPosts
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright guys, its been taken care of. Please get back on topic, any more posts related to deathelmz will be deleted.

Shotgun, you know i've always been a fan of your work dude, so good luck finding something! Dont forget to mention your jew-fro to all of your prosective employers.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Ferg wrote: »

Yeah, I didn't mean for my post to be insulting at all... I'd just hate to see him sent back because of this economic environment. I formed my response as a question because I was unsure if basic labor jobs still qualify him. I know he stated he didn't do 3d, but I couldn't remember what kind of work he did (and didn't know his profile had links :))

Good luck man. I'm not in the business, but wanted to offer up any help I could :/
  • Daaark
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    good luck shotty, I'm surprised you've found yourself in this situation- I'm a big fan of your texture work and eye for colour
  • Mars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mars polycounter lvl 18
    Getting sent back to Israel isn't the end of your dream. There are animation studios in Isreal, and you can freelance from there for companies in countries all over the world. It seems like there's more work outside of the States than inside these days. With things the way they are right now it extremely unlikely you are going to land a job in the next couple weeks, so maybe start working on plan b. Try to make contact with some animation studios in israel, and start getting your name out there as a freelancer on Gamasutra and wherever else you can.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Dang shotgun I was under the impression you were happily honing your traditional skills at some ritzy art school, sorry to hear about your situation. I'm sure you'll have no problem getting snatched up with your talent.

Wish I could help but I'm all the way over here in Singapore. You'd be a commodity down here, so in the off chance that things don't work out for you, just give me a shout.

Good luck buddy!
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i wish i could help you out man, but i'm still looking myself.
    I hope it works out for you, you've got the skills.

On a side note, thank you to whoever edidted death's posts out of this thread, i was about to lose it while reading this at work, figured it would be best not to rip in to him, but now i kinda wish i had hahah.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    im sorry to hear, I love your pixel boogie tutorial man! saw it a bit ago and its really great how subtle and deadly that technique is! Thanks so much!

hey why dont you escape up here to Canada!
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I totally wish we were hiring. -,-
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Xenobond wrote: »
    I totally wish we were hiring. -,-

For reals, man. Would be a great fit.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    shotgun...best of luck man. i wish we were hiring but we are just a small indy dev. if i hear of anything in the chicago area, i will post as soon as i hear. best regards shotgun!!!!!
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, shotgun on warhammer online is a match made in heaven. make it happen!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Agreed! Come on mythic, you know you want some of that hot jew lovin that only shotgun can provide...
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    what da... o_O
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    How can you possibly not have a job? your texture work is fantastic! I'd have thought you'd be living it up driving around in a ferrari and sipping margaritas on your own private island :p

Wish I could help, but I've been out of a job for months myself and haven't had any luck finding more :(
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Shottie - can't help you as Im over in the UK but I wish you the best of luck in finding something to help you out.

Your portfolio speaks for itself and it's nice to see it updated at last! Your Talia skin is still one of my favourite ever textures:)
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Shotgun, your artwork is amazing. My friend (with sexy lips) says she should marry you, that you can continue to look for work, but she lives in Canada. :\ Best of luck.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav wrote: »
    Shotgun, your artwork is amazing. My friend (with sexy lips) says she should marry you, that you can continue to look for work, but she lives in Canada. : Best of luck.

Pix or it didnt happen.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    http://gamedevmap.com/

Write up your resume and an application letter and send it off to every company you can find.
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN wrote: »
    http://gamedevmap.com/

Write up your resume and an application letter and send it off to every company you can find.

ugh, yes let's spam resumes to every company we can find. It's why companies get hundreds of resumes for even the most insignificant of positions, and why they never bother reading any of them.

This new generation approaches job searches with no sense of dignity or restraint.

Problem is, even us who want to do it a little more strategically, and learn about the companies and their projects, and hiring practices, even we can't surface above the ocean of spam.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    gh, yes let's spam resumes to every company we can find. It's why companies get hundreds of resumes for even the most insignificant of positions, and why they never bother reading any of them.

Hey, it works with the ugly guy who gets the girl eventually. ;)
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Oh thanks for pointing out that actually going out and applying somewhere is not worth it, especially when someone is in serious need of a job, I forgot.