Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIV - 3D - DemonPrincess

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Wendy de Boer interpolator
Heya peeps! For this contest I'll be making... a Demon Princess! You guessed that, right? :femme:

Anyways... last year, I tried to make a normal mapped character for the DW. I ended up working till 3 o'clock every single night for 2 months straight. Except near the end, where it was more like 5 o'clock. :polytwitch:
So to keep me sane this year, I'm not gonna do that! I'm gonna say screw it and make a handpainted diffuse only character, and get some painting practice along the way. :poly142:

I realize I don't have a shade of a chance at winning like that, but I don't have a shade of a chance at winning anyways. :poly114b:
And since I'm taking that route, I might as well go for broke and commit the next sin in game art... I'll be making her BIG and CHUNKY!

Now if that didn't scare you away, without much further ado, here's my WIP:

DWIV-3D-DemonPrincess-wip01.jpg

I started out by modeling the basic body shape since I pretty much settled on body type. I'm not concerned with keeping it all quads, since I won't be sculpting this anyway. I still need to give her a basic head, and after that I'll take screenshots of the mesh, so I can doodle my concept on top of them.

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Seems good so far.

I would say that since you have done the normal mapping before now you have a much better chance of doing it in a more relaxed way if you did want to try it again.

Good luck!
  • ApprenticeEverything
    hahah my hero! just on the side of origionality i like this already!
  • bounchfx
    baby got back.

awesome!
  • War_Destroyer
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
    This is awesome!!!! The form is excellent, great anatomy! Looking forward to your high res texture.
  • Ribking
    Offline / Send Message
    Ribking polycounter lvl 18
    Approved! Bring on the big girls!
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Ahhh jeeeaaahh those proportions rock!
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Very interesting indeed. You don't see that very often.

What power will you give her?

I also think you should give the normalmap a new shot.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll try it again at some point, but not for this contest. Before delving into sculpting again, I really want to get my painting skills up to snuff. :poly128:
  • Skiffy
    Offline / Send Message
    Skiffy polycounter lvl 15
    I must smack that booty. My hand is compelled to!

I’m Curious to see how demonic you will be making this one while still playing with those lushes curves.

Bookmarked this booty.

Cheers

SKiffy the Junkyard monster looks at car trunks with renewed interest.....
  • Slipstream
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    I have a mild preference for "chunky" women :D Not only that, but its nice change up from the typical entry. Can't wait to see what idea's you have to fill out her silhouette!
  • Mezz
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Mmmm, love it!! :D

Now I got the weird Mika song "Big girls, you are beautiful!" playing in my head... :P
  • pestibug
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, cool to see you enter again, I was wondering where you were :) No normalmaps, that's a shame. But, this lady in the works seems to make up for it. Nice and Rubenesque :D
  • c0ldhands
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Hmmm....some ghetto booty from hell? Where do I sign? Will stalk this thread from now on.
  • kwakkie
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Just curious, I read somewhere that you work at streamline studios. I thought those guys basically normal map the shit out of everything they make so how come you never managed to catch a ride on the normal map bandwagon? :D

Anyway, very original idea, looking forward to more!
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    *thinks Madagascar 2*

"mmm girl you big......and cunky.........."

intresting model, but any ideas based in 2d yet to add to the big girl? :p
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Kwakkie: Making a highpoly mesh for a character is *very* different from making one for say... a fire extinguisher. Not everyone gets to do highpoly character work, you know. :poly136:

@Seforin: No concrete ideas as of yet. But.... Madagascar 2 was indeed my inspiration. :D
  • kukk
    Offline / Send Message
    kukk polycounter lvl 17
    I think she's beautiful! :)
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice you can have some fun with visual styles with a more pure diffuse, I will be watching this one :)
  • Azimn
    Its funny I wanted my concept to have more curvy proportions too but I settled for Dead or Alive style. I can't wait to see what she will look like from the neck up I love the body!
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    she's kinda got a lopez butt thing going on - but i think thats allright for a deamon princess/queen, being that she'd be the bulky equiv of hellboy - non of this petite/skinny twig like model proportions....

you could go a 'mother demon' who in heirachy rule over the rest - or some sort of tasteful :P s&m mixup - like she's the ultimate beefcake succubus muther.. heh
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not slow, I'm just taking my time. :poly111:

DWIV-3D-DemonPrincess-wip02.jpg

Okay fine, I'm slow. :poly128:

In case you're wondering about the cross necklace... it's an upside down cross. :\
  • kary
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome :D. Will you be using a classic demonic foot at the bottom, or keeping that flesh tone? That about the only thing that feels out of place to me (that it isn't an animal foot style treatment).
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I will make it a piggie-style foot, so it would be flesh toned then. I may try other options as well though.
  • L3XICON
    awesome outfit! so nice to see a female character thats not in the generic supermodel in armoured bikini style ;D if your heading down the road of flesh coloured feet area (piggy feet) mayeb you can add some cloth or other design to the lower leg that will both add variety to the colour tones of the leg, and also compliment its shape
  • coldkodiak
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    yeah the feet don't fit dude.

She needs more anthro features if you're going to switch something up like that. Maybe a tail or pig nose or whatever. Not to mention pigs aren't really known for horns per se, maybe tusks. Need some unifying features.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    er- if you were going to go with a cloven hoof- an inverse knee setup would probably look/work better. The human foot has a joint in it that makes the whole human leg work. dropping a hoof on that leg setup would make walking a little rough.

Maybe some more fabric like on the arms on other parts like the legs would look cool too?
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak wrote: »
    yeah the feet don't fit dude.

Dudette. :poly108:

How about more traditional cloven hooves then? Black and shiny as a continuation with the theme?

DWIV-3D-DemonPrincess-wip03.jpg

I don't want to go with an inverse knee setup, these are more based on the so-called "pony boots" as shown here:

http://www.fury-fantasy.com/hufschuh1.jpg
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d131/korybing/photos/12hooves.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that could work. Perhaps have some light fur around the hoofs, nice and fluffy. :)

I also think she should have a tad more fabric on her, preferably something that adds to the sihlouette. Would be nice to have the hairstyle more exaggerated as at least imo it would give stronger character.

I don't really like the bra thing. I would like to see something more of the push-up direction, perhaps even made of metal.

I like the horns, and face alot though. :D

What will her power be? What role will she have in battle? Right now I picture her sitting on some mobile throne-platform thingie giving commands while being attended by a bunch of handsome male servants with chains around their necks. :P
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Alignment will be death. To keep with the totally cheesy demon theme, I'm going to give her a pitchfork. But, it's going to be an elegant black wrought iron one, with skulls impaled on it. From the skull's eyesockets there will be green fumes, to sort of visualize an evil aura that will kill you when you get close. I imagine she binds souls to her as her slaves. :icon60:

I've tried more designs on the legs, but the problem there is that the sash is silhouetted against the pale legs. Adding more of the shiny cloth on the legs muddles that up. Any ideas?

I'll try out some more bra things. Any other suggestions on what to add or change would be very welcome, concepting isn't exactly my forte. :)
  • DeathKitten
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathKitten polycounter lvl 18
    Good for you girl! A nice thick figure on that one :D

I love those boots that you linked too as well, where does one go about getting a pair?!

-DK >^..^<
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure, they just came up in a google image search. They are awesome though. :poly142:
  • 3DSillium
    Offline / Send Message
    3DSillium polycounter lvl 11
    Hey very nice Character !! I love that piggy style :) ...
  • slipgatecentral
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    not fat enough!
    I mean, at this point overweight fatness seems to be her main eye-catching feature, and should be more significant than now. Try work a bit more in that direction?

And yeah, me likes, fresh approach, keep it up man.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not too sure on this one yet, DemonPrincess. Your entry last year had a voodoo/jester theme and a giant bird skull scythe... this one's only got her proportions working for her. The whole gothic theme isn't worked out particularly different than the kids at school do it and the hooves feel rather tacked on, since that pattern is just there and in the horns. I don't want to discourage you - the woman herself is interesting and the proportions are cool, but the 'theme', I think, is rather unremarkable.

Oh, and a cross upside down is still Christian
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    But do you have any more concrete suggestions? Just "scrap and redo" isn't particularly helpful.
    And you say that last year's entry was more remarkable... but that one was labelled "straight out of WOW" back then. *shrug*

My idea with this one was to take the cheesy bikini type outfits so often seen in fantasy art, yet put it on a far bigger body type than usual. Partially because it would be funny, and partially to show that a bigger body type might be attractive too.

So the main features were supposed to be the proportions, and also the hair because you rarely see such big and long hair in game art. I wanted to downplay demon features to give it more of a silly pin up feel.

And in all honestly, putting full goat legs on her to integrate the hooves in a more obvious manner IS going to make it far more unremarkable. Everybody and their uncle's dog is using the animalistic leg setup these days, not just on demons but also on machines. This is also why I didn't stick bony protrusions, spikes and little tidbits of armor everywhere. Everybody is doing that.

I realize that a latex dominatrix outfit might not be the most original thing in the world, but IMHO it's different enough within the context of this contest.

Maybe she wears the cross just for shock value. :poly108:
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I think its great...looks good
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    But do you have any more concrete suggestions? Just "scrap and redo" isn't particularly helpful.
    And you say that last year's entry was more remarkable... but that one was labelled "straight out of WOW" back then. *shrug*

My idea with this one was to take the cheesy bikini type outfits so often seen in fantasy art, yet put it on a far bigger body type than usual. Partially because it would be funny, and partially to show that a bigger body type might be attractive too.

So the main features were supposed to be the proportions, and also the hair because you rarely see such big and long hair in game art. I wanted to downplay demon features to give it more of a silly pin up feel.

And in all honestly, putting full goat legs on her to integrate the hooves in a more obvious manner IS going to make it far more unremarkable. Everybody and their uncle's dog is using the animalistic leg setup these days, not just on demons but also on machines. This is also why I didn't stick bony protrusions, spikes and little tidbits of armor everywhere. Everybody is doing that.

I realize that a latex dominatrix outfit might not be the most original thing in the world, but IMHO it's different enough within the context of this contest.

Maybe she wears the cross just for shock value. :poly108:

Sounds reasonable to me. I say go for it! :D
  • woogity
    if u weregoin for pinupfeel her face and hair have it nailed, body type not so much but that totally makes it endeering. it might not be the most typical DW concept, but who wants typical anyways? id say go for it, just need soem refinement, the feet look way more pig than goat to me anyways and u never see pig feet!

-Woog
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    DP - Please do accept my apologies if I'm sounding too negative; maybe it's just personal taste here and tastes need to differ.

I'll definitely agree that goat legs aren't the way to go and that they're too much of a clich
  • 55joe
    turn her feet into hoof heels.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to address a few issues in this edit. I changed the top into a push-up bra as AimBiZ suggested. I also tried some light fur around the hooves and attempted a hair extension. I'm going to hate myself trying to model, texture and rig that madness, but that's part of the challenge I guess. :poly128:

DWIV-3D-DemonPrincess-wip04.jpg

@Zwebbie: I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree then. It doesn't really help the case that you're arguing with a girl nicknamed Demon Princess, who dresses like Morticia Addams, over the merits of black and spiderweb lace. :poly144:

At least I ended up doing a little more research and changed the cross into a more obviously satanic cross. Still, if you look at the very page you linked, it also mentions the use of the upside down cross as a satanic symbol. :D

@Slipgatecentral: Although that would make the character more amusing, it would definitely push her away from the intended "big but still beautiful" look and into the grossly overweight. :poly136:

@woogity: Yeah, that was definitely the intention; a funny spin on the pin-up look by making her big. :)

@55joe: I thought of that as well, but there I have the same problem again that the sash doesn't silhouette as nicely against black boots as it does against the pale flesh.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good!

leg lineup

I imagine your shooting for the third leg in this image, but the angle of the drawing would probably hide the heel where the foot juts forward, making it look like the last leg in the image. It didn't make sense to me before, but the pony boots def are a pretty solid way to nail an unusual leg, while still having it be feminine.

maybe try filling the Lacey bits on the legs with that green fabric- the balance just seems like its going to be off unless you get some larger, darker shapes down thar!
  • mikezoo
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Man, Iam digging this. Yeah, i have to agree with the comments below and with what you said, but keep making it your own, and it shall be great design. I love that drawing. I really like the horns. Remind me of cartoon reindeer from some Christmas special. lol.
    My major crit is to explore different clothing options available to you. I like the long cloth in the fount, but dont care for the chain belt/thing. Find some more elobrate clothing options. Try looking up some funking couture brands. Japainese and califorinan based. The undergound fashion world is full of some crazy shit.

Good luck! :)
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    How has NO ONE made a cameltoe joke yet?

oh well, looks very nice!
    Very interesting, the face is full of character! I like the jewelry too, perhaps she could use a ring or two. If the loin cloth is in the back too, maybe it could trail a bit.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    boo to the fur and black hooves.

i liked the flesh colored cloven pads. something you don't see everyday, and particularly disturbing to think about them rubbing all over you. and hot. now it's all generic-style. don't listen to these clowns and their rules of what percentage needs to be 'anthro' - which would mean 'human' in context used, which is the opposite of what was intended. additional lulz to pigs not having horns. this is a demoness, not a pig-lady.

where is the fur around her ankles starting? from the knees? lower? hairy legs aren't selling this year. and why isn't it the color her hair? does she dye it?

a bifurcated tale could be cute, though. a tiny one.

i like the character! nothing too fancy, but should make a fun piece. good luck

Deathkitten: http://www.punitiveshoes.com has some nice pony boots, expect to pay top dollar for them, though!
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    I would have to agree, I think my initial idea with the padded hooves was more original. I got thrown off when noone seemed to like it. :poly122:

I asked around at work today, they liked the initial version of the hooves as well. So I will go back to that then. :\
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with sectaurs. There are plenty of ways to fuse the metatarsals and phalanges to have a hoof like that work with a standard human ankle structure, and pink all the way to the ground was cool.

Definitely a cool and different character.
  • Valkier
    All righty. I've been checking this thread out for a little while now and have some thoughts. I hope they help a bit.

So far, I like the design of the character for what it is. I mean it's a chunky girl with neat horns and cloven hoves, and there's nothing disagreeable about that.

The issue I'm having with it right now is there doesn't seem to be any driving goal behind the design. I don't know what it is she does. If she's supposed to use magic, then show us some hints about that. I don't mean this to be harsh, but right now it just seems like you're designing her based on how you want her to look more than what you want her to do.

I think you'll find that when you start defining if she's a witch or a high demon sorcerous or an assassin or whatever you want her to be, you'll find little things you can add that will give her much more character and create neat designs and combinations between the figure and what she's wearing. Remember, function defines form.

I'm really liking the start and the idea to break the mold of the standard scantily clad woman with more armor on her shoulders than over her heart. Keep pushing it and you could get something really fun out of this.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay... somehow the pitchfork idea turned into a candleholder. :poly111:
    Just a quick doodle, I don't want to lose much more time on concepting now.

DWIV-3D-DemonPrincess-wip05.jpg

So the idea is that she's a satanic priestess who stays along the side of the battlefield, burning her candles of death. And as they burn, they literally burn away at the souls of the enemy.

It might not be the most exiting idea ever, but I really need to continue modeling now. I've already derailed myself enough. :poly136: