Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIV - 3D - Jaco

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jaco polycounter lvl 17
I'm going to go demon with this, I'm thinking something mostly human but with grotesque contrasting demon elements, Carlos Huante's definitely going to be an inspiration.

Here's the first concept, don't think I'll go with this one though.

DWIV_demonprincessconcept.jpg

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    i like it from the belly upwards, not sure about her arms and legs, not really my kind of thing :/
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Torso looks really cool, interesting shapes, but the molten freakyhands are a bit too much for me :-P The headgear/chestpiece looks like a cool start :)
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Great start Jaco!

I like your idea. I think you can really push the demon elements, something very grotesque and sharp versus the soft feminine curves of the character will give it a lot of contrast and interest.

looking forward to seeing more
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the comments guys. I wasn't to crazy about that concept, and was feeling all uninspired when this hit me: undead giraffe cavalry.

DWIV_UndeadGiraffe_Concept.jpg

That's the basic idea, I'm gonna start the modeling now, or I'll never finish. I want the inside of the ribcage to look like a little room, I'll put a little lamp in there, some gear, maybe a roll-up ladder. Also need more straps. Any suggestions or thoughts are more than welcome!
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Yo Jaco, nice concepts man. I actually really like the first one (from the stomach up.) Buut, it would be pretty kool to see you incorporate her into the concept with the undead giraffe...maybe also give the giraffe's armor the same design elements also? Looking good though man :)
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why would undead need armor? This is badass all the way, go for it.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    I enjoy this idea TONS more than your first doodle!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Hell yeah, giraffe all the way. Things hanging from the ribs (or other places like the head) could be good, like more lamps, or maybe trophies or some sort of runes perhaps. Love the concept and idea of this one.
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davidskiwan polycounter lvl 18
    The giraffe looks ace, definitely a fan of that concept :o
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    shit Jaco, that's awesome.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    NyneDown: Sup! Yeah I liked parts of the design of that armor too, I'll use some of it on the female rider I think, thanks!
    jerry: Thanks! Agreed about the armor thing, but it's kinda hard to fight when your head gets cut off, even if it doesn't kill you :) The main reason I want armor though, is because the giraffe cavalry was alive at some point, and needed armor. Looks like it didn't help much though :)
    stimpack: Me too!
    Mongrelman: Thanks, there will definitely be lots of hanging bits.
    Davidskiwan: Thanks!
    Tumerboy: Thanks man
    rooster: Can't go wrong with giraffes :)

dwiv_giraffebones.jpg

This is a test, to figure out how to do the meaty bits.

dwiv_meattest.jpg

I'm going to deviate from the original concept a bit, had an awesome idea involving a fat little demon dude, with a room inside the ribcage.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    wow man, this is quite impressive. the room in a ribcage thing sounds awesome if you can pull it off - -going to be hard to show much of anything there without removing some ribs. When I saw the first giraffe concept I literally said "god,t hats awesome" when i saw the guy in front using the ribs as shelter -- might want to stick with that if the demon thing gets a little muddled. Sweet design, keep going!
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    This is really turning out fun! Where are you pulling your animal anatomy from? I ask because im finding it terribly hard to find anatomy for the animal im trying to do =/
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    r4ptur3: Thanks man. You're right, the ribcage room would be a challenge. For the final image I'll most likely use a 3/4 or side view, so the guy sticking out of the chest is propably going to be the most practical approach, I can always show any hidden detail in a construction shot or something.
    stimpack: Here :P Human and animal anatomy is surprisingly similar though, helps to keep that in mind, but you can find pretty much anything you need using image search. If you can't find the exact animal, look at something similar ( I've been looking at horse anatomy, it's close enough to a giraffe's), hope that helps

Probably going to need one of these eventually:

dwiv_skull.jpg
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    that -http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Jacoh/dwiv_meattest.jpg

is really great dude. Really nice, this should be an interesting entry.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome concept awesome execution the vertebrae are amazing!

so is this guy an abomination?

-Woog