Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rock and Stone Study

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
I am doing a study on all different types of rocks and stones in Zbrush. Any tips or hints would be appreciated. Here is my first sample.

wall_render.jpg

Replies

• Deathelmz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive never used Z brush before- but i think it looks great'
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    nice start did you bake and AO in there im not sure if it would help or not, but it wouldn't hurt trying.
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah there is a AO map baked into the texture
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    Alright, it's a decent start but I can't really tell what it is. That's not to say, I don't understand it's rocks, I do, the problem is, what KIND of rock is it? Is this supposed to be a stacked rock wall with mortar between? Is it supposed to be a cliff face of rock? Right now it seems like it's trying to be both, which is causing you problems.

There are definite individual rock structures within the overall piece. That combined with the green (moss?) between them, makes me think it's a manmade rock wall. If it were though, it would be better to have the overall shape taper at the top, rather than poke back outwards as it does now. I'd say you'd also want to identify the joints a little better, and move the moss from JUST the mortar to cover certain areas better (the crawling up the base/tops of protrusions)

If it's meant to be a cliff/natural rock wall, then I think your shapes are a little too distinct/separate, and you'd still want to rearrange the moss.

Do you have reference you're working from? It may help to identify and stick to a piece for now.

3283828004_4419b8a25a.jpg
    CliffFace20070704.JPG