Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fleet Officer

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
Wanted to create something that maybe could fit in a sci fi universe so for the outfit I'm probably gonna borrow alot from starcraft, starship troopers, etc.

wire-1.jpg

Replies

• Torrrtilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good so far, are you planning on doing any normal mapping with this character?
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks Torrrtilla. The screenshots I've looked at from SC2 looks like they've used normal maps at least in the story mode. Although I want this character to look like it could fit in the starcraft universe, I'm gonna go w/o normal maps because it forces me to do a better texture job. I could use the practice.

Heres what I got so far, hoping to knock this one out b4 GDC.

officer1.jpg
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About ready to call this done soon. Hafta start printing portfolio stuff for the conference in hopes of getting a job. Ack, I need a new printer cartridge. Anyways, might post another pic with one more texture pass on her with some doodads/medals etc.

officer5.jpg
    officer6.jpg
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    I like how it has so much character using so few colors. I'm a big fan of this color setup. That said, I think the boots make her look childish, and does not match the rest of the outfit in "class". I think "fleet officer" and someone of distinguished capability comes to mind, not Neoprofz's goddamn raver boots :)

Anyway, great work, love the model!
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    diggin the outfit, not so much the boots... military clothing tends to be more practical/functional, I don't think platform boots would be very wise when you're running around the deck of a ship.
  • Deathelmz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shes one hawt character :)
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight wrote: »
    diggin the outfit, not so much the boots... military clothing tends to be more practical/functional, I don't think platform boots would be very wise when you're running around the deck of a ship.

I completely agree on the boots. I think something like this would fit a bit better:
    18574.46761_d.jpg
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the c&c! Ok so no rave boots. Hey glib I tried modeling those boots from the pic u posted but they made her look to cowboyish i thought.

So I gave the boots a more military style. I think I like it better, although I'm not sure if i want to keep the jacket brown or just go all black.

officer7.jpg
    officer8.jpg
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    black is definitely more military than the brown you chose... I think the black makes it look very sleek.

My personal taste says the boots soles are still on the tall side, but they are a huge improvement over the previous.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the all black palette.

I can see what you mean about the boots looking too cowboy-ish... when she was wearing the brown coat I was getting a firefly impression that made me think that's what you were going for.

The boots right now are better, but I agree with knight that they still look too tall. The really high lace-ups make me think 'hooker' as well, but maybe that's just me ;). Maybe something like this? Or maybe these in black if you want the laces?
  • notebookguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the fact that you extruded the edge ring or and attached that plane to the belt area as well as lofting, I am only guessing and tucked the edges into the sleeve to make a really elegant and low poly coat with really nice results I will have to use that idea sometime. Good job!