Home General Discussion

Self Education versus Guided Education

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Valandar polycounter lvl 18
Yes, I know, yet another topic about education, but this is a rather bit more specific (I thnk) than anything I found using the Search function.

I've been toodling with 3D ever since the first Open Beta of Rhino 3D came out back in the late 90's. In the early 2000's, I switched to 3DS Max, and have been using pretty much it since. I also use Photoshop and ZBrush, plus UVLayout for mapping (I do not have the more recent Max releases, unfortunately).

However, I seem to have hit a bit of a wall when it comes to game art. I can use Zbrush vaguely decently for organics, but really suck at using it for mechanicals. As well, no matter how I try, I just can't seem to push my skillset much further in the time I have I'm not actually doing my job.

So... would it be better for someone in my position to go ahead and save up the dosh to go back to school not for the degree but for the knowledge? I'm getting up there compared to most people in the industry, as I turn 40 this coming November, so going back to college would be a big thing.

If not, what other options would there be for me to improve my skills other than 'practice practice practice' and doing every single tutorial I come across (again, in some cases)?

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    learning tools and techniques is pretty easy.

learning how to be a good artist is slightly harder.

Traditional art education is usually the best way to go in these situations, imo.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Even when you've gone to school...it's still about practice practice practice. If you want to push your skillset in the little time you have, you're going to have to scale back and work on smaller projects that allow you to develop your proficiency at a specific technique, or two, at a time. Think about illustrators who want to improve their hand or ear drawing, or rendering techniques...they'll hunker down and work on studies focused on only that, and when faced with the next full illustration, they'll be equipped with more skill and knowledge to tackle it with.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    C&P

“Should I got to university, or take the time to teach myself game art?”

Self teaching is great - it shows a company that you had the skills to pick up something by yourself, showing initiative. You’ll be able to learn exactly what you want in a timeframe that suits you.

Having a degree is superb because as well helping to protect your future, it will show a prospective company that you were able to complete a series of tasks and deadlines set by others - and to an ability level good enough to get awarded a degree. These days however there are very few courses that teach you exactly what you need to know to get a job. The courses are becoming more relevant, but university courses have to cater for a wide range of possible career choices, so they don’t seem to offer a direct path to a job making games.

So you could do both - go to university, get a degree in SOMETHING, and teach yourself art at the same time.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    C&P

So you could do both - go to university, get a degree in SOMETHING, and teach yourself art at the same time.

QFT, I did this, its fun and at times frustrating but if youve got the willpower to invest time into what you love above and beyond course work - it will be worth it. Plus you get some great life experience and friendship being at university.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I say go back and try and self teach yourself drawing.

Imo improving your 2d background really helps and if you are stuck for looking where to go with it i suggest it as a good place to start. And i dont mean to just focus on drawing as a way to help 3d focus on it as another set of skills.

When you have the techniques down and are running out of places to go always look back to the basics and see what you missed.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I went to university beause my hunger of learning was not (is still not) satisfied. Back then I had the choise of getting a job and do medicore stuff - or try hard and get at a good uni. I spent 1/2 preparing my portfolio for the uni and made it through the entrance test.
    Now where my last semester is about to start I can certainly say that the xtra uni years was worth the effort because job oppertunities have raised booth in quality and quantity.

The people that think that they get everything teached at a university in like what I study 'multimedia & 3d' are the medi-core people. They wont bring it far and the jobs they seek arent usually that impressive.
    The students however who spent alot xtra time to learn things that can't or wont offered in courses are the ones that will stick out in the end. The university live however often gives people (including me) a wider horizont not just at the topic you study but also in general social life.

So all in all I would say that the most important part you learn at uni are the new perspectives and the free space to actually learn in life because if you work there is usually less space for learning the things you really want.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    If you are crazy awesome from the word go, then you probably don't need to go to a university. But if you have to ask this question, than you are probably not awesome enough. Someone that awesome would know it, and would already be doing whatever they please.

Don't bother going to an "art" school. Most major universities have decent art programs, and cost a lot less than a specialized "art" school. They also have more opportunities for scholarships. Do your homework, and research for which universities have the best art programs, and apply to those. The workload for a traditional art degree from a four-year university is generally on the light side. (at least compared to some other programs) Even with the other non-art classes you will have to take, you should still have plenty of time to work on your own art projects every day. (both for class, and for yourself) Apply yourself dilligently and you will have a kick-ass portfolio by the time you leave.

University is important because it offers more job security. Having that degree can open doors that would not have been available to you otherwise. Self-education is important because not all of your professors are going to be able to teach you what you are curious about. If they ever drop the ball, you will have to pick it up and learn on your own. More importantly, getting a litte self-teaching practice will benefit you greatly after you graduate. Any profession involving technology has to keep up-to-speed with the constant march of progress. These days you have to be a student for life.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Hmm ive self taught myself max9 and photoshop, it was difficult at first, but with Alot of practice ive become quite proficient with them, i also have the benefit of doing my AS art course, so ive always been good at hand drawing, but its quite hard to take that first step into 3d art, if your serious take the degree, if your unsure buy some tutorials, if you lack the effort then focus on one task or skill set such as animating or rigging. Hell i have ADD and am still going, although its hard to stick to a timetable lol

Cheers, cb