Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIV - 3D - InProgress

InProgress
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
InProgress polycounter lvl 14
Going for a demon abomination, I just hope I won't overdo the design and make it too complicated to finish it. No pics yet.

Edit: Latest update: [pose_test.jpg

Replies

• InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First concept, still working on it. He's gonna have another open drooly mouth on his stomach, if i can't think of something else.
    small001.jpg
  • Deathelmz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legs are Real Short Ma Friend. Real Short. The smiley "thing" isnt Gunna win the judge over, Thank god its just a Sketch Right?
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah. I hate the fact that I can't draw for beans. Either I'm gonna lenghten the legs, or just discard it and come up with something cpmpletely different.
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A new thumb, I like this one better. The bottom part is a monster made out of fat (you can see i have no drawing skills), while the "brains" is a tortured maiden who continuosly shrieks even though she doesn't have a mouth.

thumbs0005small.jpg

Haven't removed the joints on the fat guy.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Your drawing skills are fine, mate. If you just erase the bottom half of the leg in that first image you've got a really effective design. The head, chest and arm are working well.
    I'd be interested to see it developed further to see it developed further if you're so inclined.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Cool idea :)

The tentacle arm is neat, why not try doing something crazy with his right arm as well?

Good luck in the war!
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still not decided, but game the first one a new leg, don't know what i'm going to do with his arm and other leg. The thing is that it's supposed to be a tumor riddled body, so his upper leg has tumors on it as well. The little parchment thing is sort of a "thank you" present from the demons to make him able to walk, after they tortured him for the lulz.

Which one do you prefer now?

thumbs06smallcurves.jpg
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last update, this is the "final" design for this one. Screw the hand, I still have a lot to learn about anatomy, but now I want to get started on making it, as either one will require a hell of a lot of sculpting. Now, the question arises, which one is more original and would be better seen as an entry (first timer and don't know squat about this competition)?

thumb0006_update003.jpg
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    The peg leg is a fun idea, but it looks too skimpy to make a proper support for his bulk. I'd suggest making the foot at the end of the peg really big and adding a second part to the peg (making it similar to the leg bones, tibia and fibula)

One more thing before you start scultping; I think it would be a good idea to do a couple more drawing studies of the faces. Its looking interesting, but it's hard to tell what's going on with it. A few sketches of different angles of the face, where details are more defined, will come in very handy when you actually get to modeling it!

Good luck with whatever direction you choose to go! :)
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As said in a previous post, the two metal bands nailed to his leg are connected through darkness magic, providing him support, so his knee doesn't break under the weight of his tumors. Guess I'll have to do the faces anyway, so I might as well start now. Cheers, Mezz.
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First face study. There isn't supposed to be an eye, just a hole.

thumb00006updatesmall.jpg
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started on the basemesh, barely done one leg, though I'm thinking of removing a lot of the small tumors to leave just a few big ones and maybe sculpt a few nails growing out of the leg as well. What do you think about it?

body_start0002.jpg
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again with a mini update. I modified some of the tumors on his right leg, made them more defined and I'm not sure about the left leg. Does it look like all the flesh has been removed and then the skin tightened and put back over the bare bones?

body0001.jpg
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wasn't in the mood of modeling so I made this concept. This one seems much more simple, yet better and scarier since it's a clown. It's weapon of choice is a hellish diabolo. Actually, this was inspired by last year's entry by rollin. The face is supposed to be smiling and sad, but I guess I'll have to work on it some more if I decide to go with this one.

What do you think about this new concept?

clown_abomination_small.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think this newest one is quite interesting, not sure about whats up with the arms at the moment i really like the mask-like face, the bow tie and poofy sleeves. running on the ball is interesting too. could push the idea of it being a jester a bit further.

-Woog
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The diabolo is spinned on a string connected to two sticks which you mov to give it spin (IRL) The same happens in the concept, but the sticks are attached to his arms, becoming his foreamrs and hands. Something like an eternal punishment thing.
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made the head, right now it stands at about 2054 tris, with both sets of teeth. Never did this before, but what should I put so you don't see a gapping large hole when looking in their mouths. I thought of making something like the inside of the mouth, with it leading to something like the esophagus, but I fear it might be require too many tris to make. Also, I need to do the tongues. Does anyone have some ideas for the 'eyes'? Any crit is welcome.

head0001.jpg
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost done with the low poly. A bit over 7k at the mo, so I still have room for more details. Unwraped some parts like the upper/lower jaws and tongues and the little face to spare some time.

abomination001.jpg
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Looks like it's coming along well :) I'm not great at the modeling critiquing, so I'll leave that for the more experienced. I'm liking the look of the double-face head, though! Looks good the way the little guy is coming out there :p
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mezz. Anyway, I finished the low poly and started on the high. Sculpted the bigger mouth so far.

mouth.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    cool man! in all honesty I think you have pretty solid base mesh- I wouldnt however call it your low poly- your mesh now looks to be all quads which you`ll be able to sculpt on no problem. If I were you- especially because you have so much organic-nes on this guy- just drop the whole thing into your sculpt program and start going nuts. work big details to small. then when your all done- look into some re-topology tools and re-create your lowpoly over your high-

I know this seems like 1 whole tedious extra step, but I think you`ll enjoy the freedom you`ll have while sculpting, and the end result will yeild FAR better results than trying to keep your sculpted details restricted to your now established low poly.
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers. Could you reccomend some good re-topo tools? I haven't done re-topo-ing at all and was first on my list to learn after this competition.

Edit: I left a left over 1500 tris for making the joints moveable according to this
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polyboost has some decent tools, and I`ve heard z brush and 3dcoat have some pretty sweet tools too. from the looks of your sculpt I`d say your using z brush eh?
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyboost's out of the question as I'm using Maya, so that leaves it to Zbrush (being a student is a joy when not having much money at your disposal and 3D coat's trial sucks as it doesn't allow exporting).
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man the model is looking good so far. Here are some tuts that may help you with retopo. First is a video by Nick Zuccarello that shows you how he resurfaces a mesh from Zbrush in maya. Then there is a 3 video set on how to use retopo in Zbrush 3 that seems ok. And finally a thread on zbc that has lots of text information about the retopo stuff. Hope it helps.

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/entertainment/watch/v567649gm68pjWB

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsODBHfD6hk[/ame]

I don't know how to not embed this video, so to get the rest of the set just go the video on youtube and it will be in the related videos panel or whatever its called.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=44876
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    The Zbrush retop tools are pretty good, personally I am a serious fan boy of topogun. It's been in "beta" for years but you can just apply and get a license in a few days. You basically bring in a medium level mesh as an obj, and "draw" a new low poly right ontop of it, Kind of think like when you "make live" in maya where you can create polys on a surface but way more intuitive. It's fast and once you learn the tools (which doesn't take long) it kicks ass.

http://www.topogun.com/
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I'll have a look at those, but I have to say, topo gun looks really nice.
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started sculpting the small head. It's almost finished now, sill need to do the nose and make the pores on the cheeks and make the forehead not look quite so smooth. I'm not sure about the eye, though. I think that those subtle creases when you eyelids are held tightly closed are not that subtle. As usual, any crits are welcome.

[IMG][/img]small_head_sculpt.jpg
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The head is now complete, except the back of the head. Don't know what to do there, but I'm guessing pustules and such.

head_sculpt.jpg

Is the PC logo clearly visible in this image?

logo.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there are alot of things i can point out,

but it might be best to start with the softness
    the faces look cool, but you can push it alot harder.

use some hard shapes, or bigger variation in hight of the surface
    push out the cheekbone, and specialy the eyebrow area
    the transition between faces can also use some harder folds, right now it looks kinda muddy, and because of that softness, it looks less like it really tries to push itself out. build up the tention by using harder folds inbetween.

the tumor in his neck is too much like a sphere,
    it leaves the jawline intact, adding some spheres along the jaw for variation might help alot

for the rest of the model, make sure to stay away from the bubble mesh, yeah that sounds good, bubble mesh, the surface looks like a blanky being shaped by the wind,
    use some harder brushes, try out the clay tool, smooth some out and put some strokes down

i dont make sense, but youll figure it out at some point,

anyway,
    stay away from the too smooth bubble mesh look, and add some harder parts to the structure too add believablity

ohyeah almost forgot, keep going buddy, work hard on that stuff and learn as much as you can, goes well so far!
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the comments, buddy. I'm going to take note of those for my next sculpt (very very soon). Anyway, since I'm running out of time, I'm rushing it a bit and finished my high poly. Next retopo, texturing and presentation.

abomination_high_finished.jpg
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started blocking out the colours. No AO map for the teeth and gear yet, but they are normal mapped. hit me with your best shot on how to improve my textures.

wippagetext.jpg
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost done with it. Would have the nails to texture, but I forgot about those. This is with diffuse(with AO)+spec+normal map. I started rigging it, but having issues with painting weights. I'm starting to hate how it looks, but oh well, it'll be over soon enuogh.

texturespec.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sweet man, this is definatly a bizarre creature. did you ever pick up a re-topology tool/workflow?
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I didn't because Zbrush fucked me over (the save went all weird on me, and I had to give up) and I still didn't get my beta tester license accepted for Topogun :(
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying a pose for it. This is the latest version of Rens' zombie pose idea.

pose_test.jpg
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Nice start on the pose. I think you could push it further to make it a bit more dynamic though. I did a quick paint over to show some little tweaks. Looking cool so far, keep going :).

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/8301/inprogressidea.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey hey hey! dont drag me into this!
    i told you he needed more drama! :P

follow nreks advice and paintovers, they look good :)

now that you got to know all basic steps in the process, it's good to take a look at how you can start to improve things :)

its great to see that you came this far, it will only get better!
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I'm almost close to finishing it, but I think I fucked up: I only remembered yesterday to put up my entry. Fingers crossed that I'm not disqualified. If I am disqualified, at least I learnt a lot of shit.

Edit: Just got my confirmation mail from Dom War saying that my entry is up...I feel so retarded now.
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my pathetic entry. I don't even know why I uploaded them.

Beauty
    Beauty.jpg

Presentation
    Presentation.jpg

COnstruction
    construction.jpg
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Great job, congrats on finishing in time!!

It looks like you've learned a lot and really come a long way with this model, so congrats on that too! :)
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    besides some small areas
    i would say the wireframe looks really clean!
    you maybe could have build in some other loops, but this works great nonthelessz

besides that,
    you have some technical aspecs you need to train a bit,
    but most important, you need to master shapes and materials, studieing these would be priority atm.
    (ofcourse you can combine this with tech. to learn how to achieve those)

how do things really look, how can i make it more interesting?
    getting rid of the bubbling surface and create a less cylinderlike model.

know that you did well,