Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIV - 3D - bounchfx

mod
reservin mah spot. I'm serious this year!
will start working right after I do my taxes.

Really!

Replies

• bounchfx
    alright first batch of thumbnails during lunch:

domwarthumbs_01.jpg
    domwarthumbs_01.jpg%3Cfont%20face=Arial%3E%3Cfont%20size=2%3E%3Cfont%20face=Arial%3E

still not very good at thumbnails, so i'm using the ever popular Alchemy to assist me with them.. even then it took me a good amount of time to get comfortable using it. theres some ideas in here i think are neat but I plan to do a bunch more, other styles and mediums too (pencil and photoshops)
    any feedback is of course appreciated !

Thanks for looking! :D
  • War_Destroyer
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
    Good start Dude!!! I personally like B and F. Keep going!
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I like G, especially if the top part is more like a triceratops headarmor - although if it was it'd need some scaling down but it'd still make for a pretty sweet silouette.

C is also pretty funky too, looks like theres a mouth of teeth around what could be a head - but now im just re-enterpreting your thumbnails into what i want haha.

Cool shit so far, its fun to use alchemy for the main shapes then do some quick rendering over them in photoshop so they make more sense.
  • Mark Dygert
    B & H, the others are wee bit too leaf monster for my tastes, but with some further refinement all of them could be pretty cool.
  • Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    I'll go B&H too. They have the best form imo.
  • bounchfx
    Did a few more. any feedback is of course appreciated as I try to narrow down these things.

domwarthumbs_02.jpg
  • jerry
    These are pretty grotesk designs, i have a hard time seeing a direction in some of these. 3 and 6 are cool. 6 has a bit flimsy legs, i prefer 3 over 6. If you're planning on doing more thumbs i suggest to try and establish the basic form first and then do details and only go all out on shape if it feels right.
  • bounchfx
    I clearly have no idea what I'm doing, so it's time for more thumbs. I would greatly appreciate any tips on how to do these an efficient way.
    domwarthumbs_03.jpg

I'm going to do some on pencil now and see if that helps at all.
  • AcidLehmann
    have any idea of the type of character you want to create?
  • bounchfx
    haha, Great question! I initially thought Demon Lord or Demon Prince (yeah I know, another demon, right?), but at this point I'm almost willing to let the concept decide, if I can nail one down that is. Working on some pencil/paper ones now, will try to post that before I go to sleep tonight if I can.

Going to try to stay that direction though. I need to brainstorm first I think. I keep NOT thinking while I do these because that's what i'm told works, but I really am not getting how to get good ideas with this. Beh. if anyone wants to record themselves doing this in PS I would appreciate it! I'm sure many would :)
  • bounchfx
    alright.. last ones for the night
    domwarthumbs_04.jpg

thanks!
  • wassum
    Offline / Send Message
    wassum polycounter lvl 13
    Hey,

I like the guy on the top right of your third page of thumbs. Its really kinda vague as to the shape of some of the body parts, but something about it looks really cool to me. maybe try and tighten him up a bit with a few more thumbs moving in that direction. try and work out poses that help give your thumbs a character you like, then run with it. Good work man i can't wait to see more.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    B on the first image and the upper right thumbnail on the third image look the coolest to me
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I am liking B on the first and then number 6...

B6 for the win!!!
  • AcidLehmann
    i really like to go brainstorming with pencil and paper in hand..
    maybe you should take a look at other people work, is bringin me a lot of inspiration..
    :]

good luck !
  • Fethry
    You've got a great variety on your thumbnails. G from the first batch looks most interesting to me. Lots of character on that one and the head seems something really fun to do. B and H are also very cool, tho B seems a bit regular.

I also like number 8 on the latest batch. Very unique weapon.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I quite like the mushroom shaped guy with the bat face on the second set. Number 6. You could probably do some funky stuff with the bat anatomy.
  • bounchfx
    I'm getting closer to finding something I really like, and at the very least have a bunch of elements to choose from. I plan on doing one more round of pencil on paper sketches, then narrowing down with more focused concepts.

Thanks again for all the feedback guys - you rule
    domwarthumbs_05.jpg
    domwarthumbs_06.jpg
  • AcidLehmann
    i like 7D, banshee style!
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I am liking G from the first image-- I looks like he has a trashcan on his back with snakes coming out of it, also 6, specifically the top, because it looks like a spaceship, which is cool
  • coldkodiak
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    G from the original sheet, just looks cool as a thumb, but as a model, dunno.

actually out of all the sheets, this
    domwarthumbs_03.jpg
    has more favorite stuff.

The top right guy has A LOT of potential.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Dang I think you have already done more for this Dom War then you did for the past ones all together.
  • bounchfx
    alright guys, last set of these kind of thumbs. I really, really appreciate all the feedback so far!

I have an idea in my head of what I want to shoot for now and will be going through all the thumbs I've done so far for inspiration of things to implement into the new concept. the ones from here on out will be much more fleshed out (hopefully).

I keep looking at my stuff and there's not enough thought or variety put into them, I see so many creative designs and ideas in the other threads that are really inspiring and I need to aim to be more creative if I want to be happy and have a more interesting design in general.

domwarthumbs_07.jpg

domwarthumbs_08.jpg

I'm pretty sure I'm going either demon princess (ice powers) with a LONG sword or whip, or a hume warlord with a magical two handed hammer. probably going demon princess because I think that will keep my interest the most as I go from concept to modeling to texture, etc. and that's important.

I love looking at all the other threads, as they are all full of great art and are very inspirational and key in motivating me to do more. you guys are awesome.
  • jerry
    domwarthumbs_03.jpg
    You might want to name this sheet. I like the top right of this one and F4. Both could be solid entries as far as i'm concerned:thumbup:
  • bounchfx
    alright, latest batch is more focused as I narrow down to having a final concept by the end of this weekend.

I've decided I want to go with a Demon Princess with Ice Affinity. The idea is that she was once a human but somehow was impaled with an afflicted ice artifact that turned her into a demon. She then uses an item bestowed to her that let's her control and manipulate her ice element to manifest it in physical forms, such as weapons or armor. The ice also is growing out of multiple places of her body as it slowly grows to take over her physical form. Key points where this is evident will be thighs, knees, elbows, shoulders, and probably head.

I haven't decided on what the item is yet, but I know I want the weapon to be a thin longsword. A lot of other stuff is still in the air but I am narrowing it down, and I'll be using some pieces of earlier concepts to pull from and incorporate into her.

I appreciate and will consider any and all crits, comments, or suggestions

domwarthumbs_09.jpg

Thanks again guys!
  • Mark Dygert
    jerry wrote: »
    domwarthumbs_03.jpg
    You might want to name this sheet. I like the top right of this one and F4. Both could be solid entries as far as i'm concerned:thumbup:
    Agreed, but I am pulling for top right and lower left.
  • bounchfx
    got really distracted tonight, didn't do as much as I hoped. however I do have another update to share. took the direction and ran with it more. I actually wrote up a background story explaining the character and stuff, but i'll put that up with the final concept which should hopefully be up sunday.

rough1%20copy.jpg

initially the idea was to have the hip ice symmetried but i'm starting to like it how it is - what do you guys think?

there's a lot more stuff I plan to put on her in terms of armor and items (very important item is still missing), but this is as far as I could get tonight without passin' out :)

thanks a bunch for all the comments guys! any suggestions are more than welcome, especially now since I have a pretty solid direction. keep em coming!
  • bounchfx
    I'm going to do more specific studies of each bodypart (face, chest, arms, legs, weapon) then once ideas are all together I'll start modeling, maybe do one more concept with all those in place on a single image (the composition i'd aim for, etc)
    but here's some hair and horn brainstorming. 50% sure I want to go with really long hair but it's still up in the air.

hairandhorns.jpg

will shoot another update later tonight hopefully.

thanks again for looking!
  • woods
    I like 11 a lot. Nice and understated. Also, lol @ icecrotch.
  • Mezz
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    5's horns I like the best for sure :) 2, 4, 7, all cool hair styles. I like 12 a lot, but doesn't feel right for the character. 10 could also be the most sexy :p
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    can I see 5, 8 and 11 from the side? 12 looks a little too noble if you're going for demoness, and I like 10's hair, something very eternal/otherworldly about long hair, but I really like the shape of 8's hair, but it could be that I think it's feathery looking and more angelic.