Home General Discussion

Laptop vs. Desktop

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
Relating to the thread I started about what to do with my $1600...everyone says I should save my money, but IF I do spend it, I want to see how many people prefer working on a desktop and how many would rather have a laptop, or both, and why.

Of course the standard argument is laptop for convenience and desktop for power...but still I cant decide what I would rather have..then of course having both would be great!

Replies

• Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Far cheaper to upgrade your current desktop.
    I only spend a max of 400 a year to upgrade my PC and I never feel like I'm being left out of the tech gap.

Then with a laptop, you can't really upgrade anything and once it's past it's prime... you might as well buy another one. And the video cards are never as good as they should be. Even if it's a DTR with a hueg power brick, it just doesn't cut the mustard.

That being said, get a mac.
  • _Aurel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a laptop for 3 years, and after it died out on me (and being SOL because its out of warranty and the model is outdated) it left a bad taste in my mouth. It did OK modeling, but over time it took a performance drop (even after defrags and hard drive formats). If I had to do it all over again, I would have taken the $2,000 it cost me for my laptop and built a screaming desktop instead.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have enough cash for both, a laptop can be nice to have. I would never again use one for a main workstation though. I did it for about a year and a half, and it was painful.

If you're looking to spend a bit of money, and you don't already have a dual-screen setup, invest in that. Helps productivity immensely.
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    I greatly prefer working on a laptop. No contest at all.

Even if I don't leave home, the freedom to move around while I work makes me feel more human.

I might work at a desk for an hour, then move to a couch, then sit on the floor... I'm a bit fidgety, so I find myself constantly changing positions while I work. Sitting for hours at a desk makes me feel tired, in a way that a laptop doesn't.

Another nice benefit is that a laptop disappears when not in use, rather than always taking up a chunk of space in my home.

Xeno is right, though: Limited upgradability makes laptops more costly. You really have to replace them every couple of years. In the long run, laptops probably cost more than twice as much as desktops. For me, they're worth the extra cost.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Hi. I'm a PC.

AK
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Xenobond wrote: »

!!!! shame on you !!!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Xenobond wrote: »

For $1600 he might be able to afford the logo, granted it'll be off a used mac. :poly142:
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    flaagan wrote: »
    For $1600 she might be able to afford the logo, granted it'll be off a used mac. :poly142:
    FiXD!

Maybe think about desktop + netbook?

Should also think about where you'd use your laptop if you had one and what you'd primarily be doing. Painting and 3d sculpting is going to be tricky, unless you also carry a tablet with you wherever you go.

Forget about taking it out in direct sunlight to watch a dvd, or sketch real life. It's just going to be impossible to see anything. Taking them on road trips also has brings up visibility problems.

So, that leaves library/school use, and then coffee shop use. You could easily buy a flash stick, portable hard drive, or use free/paid file hosting for dragging schoolwork/personal files to wherever you need them. At a coffee shop, the most you'd do there would be browsing the net, chatting, etc. Can do all that on a cell phone, pda, etc.

Could probably play Diablo 2 on a netbook.

Anyway, not trying to push you away from getting a laptop. Just want to make sure you think things out beforehand. The allure of a laptop is pretty strong. You can always wait and have your company supply you with a laptop. ^_^
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    If the laptop came with a 24" screen, allowed me to easily upgrade harddrives, memory, and graphics cards, then I'd consider it.

Oh. That would be a desktop. Nevermind.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Xenobond is on to something. Desktop + netbook is the way to go. If I had it to do over (laptop only) I'd go that route.Plus if you check Dell you might be able to get the netbook for free in one of their deals.