Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chasm Bridge - AI Student Group Project

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys, these screens are from last august.

I am getting my portfolio together for my last quarter at AIP, and i figured i'd share this project that me and my friends made.

I though that they turned out real nice, but i'm sure the guys and I would love to hear any comments or critiques.

Most of us are registered on polycount:

ro-sham-bo
tychovii
virtuosic

and seth who needs to get on here and start posting his shit cause it's awesome.

ChasmBridge_1.png

ChasmBridge_2.png

ChasmBridge_3.png

Replies

• vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could feel the environment and they all look good,but some how they also do feel bare in terms of prop population or kinda dirt and and decals which seems to miss, the rocks feels too smooth and nice to me.IS that the way u intended it?

Vj
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    looks decent, but it's hard to tell as it's so dark!
  • [Deleted User]
    Yeah, I can't help but feel the lighting is really dragging this down.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    We wanted to go with a high contrast lighting because the genre was supposed to be survival horror. Although that's not really an excuse because a dark blue light could have been used instead of pitch black.

It was my intention to use a smoother stone on the ground of the cave to give a "path" like feel and some variation. We didn't like a uniform texture stretched around the cave mesh.

Dirtier would have also been better yes. I would have loved to see everything we wanted to make get put in there, but unfortunately we had 9 weeks to finish the project and get it submitted, and most of us had other stuff to work on at the time as well because this was only one class.

Art school is a drag when this happens! We have to sacrifice in order to get other work done for other classes. :-(
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    not a bad scene at all gents, but there's some stuff that could add a lot more interest to it.

Some have touched on the lighting and grunge already, I'd like to second that. Brighten it up. It's not very high contrast lighting in my opinion, at least as far as intensity is concerned. Kindof the same value throughout. a couple white lights here and there would go a long way.

The stalagtites (spelling) don't seem natural to me. Stalagtites are formed from mineral deposits seeping down through limestone, and tend to flow naturally out of the cave cieling. They looks kindof just pasted on here. The mineral water that drips off of them will often have a profound effect no the floor beneath it, resulting in puddles, crevasses or stalagmites.

Bridge looks cool in these shots!

The scene is very cohesive, and all fits together well.
    This scene seems for the most part to be well executed, but just a little boring.

cheers!