Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bearskin

I got inspired by the fable of "Bearskin" to make a character. My idea is he's an old knight who wanders the forest. Most of it was modeled in Blender then imported into 3ds max. This is what I have so far. Next step is Zbrush. after the model is done
bearskinWIP.jpg

Replies

• whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    it would help to post a bigger wireframe, it's hard to see the topology for some of the important areas. But it looks like solid start.

a couple things:

whether you take it into zbrush or not, take a ton of geometry out of the head. not the hair, the head. You cold prolly get away with building an entire charcter with just the geo thats in the head alone. And, you don't need nearly that much to describe the face whn the hair is so much more prominent. And the cape is way dense too. It doesnt need nearly that much geometry.

put some geo into the silhouettes of the shoulder pieces, and the chest plate. They are the most prominent pieces of the model, and yet the least refined.

topology aside, his forarms seem a bit long and his legs seem a bit short ( but that might be from the length of his arms), and his head seems a tad big.

I think with some refinement and a bit of spit, this has a lot of potential.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Hey man good start, can't wait to see where you run with it.

One thing I noticed is the hands are kind of just one big curve right now. I think it would benefit you to kind of bend them where the joints would be so that they are a bit more realistic and easier to manage when you start sculpting.

One other note is if this is suppose to be a game character, I would say your head may be a bit to dense compared to the rest of the model. Especially since most of the heads silhouette is covered by the hair. Just something to look at I suppose. Can't wait to see it finished!

EDIT: Looks like whip covered the same thing I was thinking!
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i added a few things, made the legs longer, cut down the polycount of the head, and removed the turbosmooth modifier from the pelt :) the chest piece and pauldron still need to be redone

bearskin2.jpg