Home Technical Talk

3dsmax 2009 cut tool live preview?

I'm not sure what else to call this feature, but I'd love some help in getting it back. Since I started using max I've had a cut tool that would present me with a dotted line from my initial click, to where my cursor is before I click a second time and finalize the cut. I have seen behavior in some people's videos that they had this preview where it would show them which vertices and edges would be added if the clicked where their mouse was at that moment.

Example is around the 9:20 mark of this video:
http://digitalapprentice.net/Community/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=69&Itemid=161
(apologies for the mandatory registration... I initially found it as a rar in the sub mechanical modelling sticky thread (second video) but I've since deleted that and this is the only place they're online)

Anyway sometime last week I had something pop up in vista saying that some visual elements had to be disabled due to a program (I think it was quake live, but I'm not sure). After that point, I suddenly had the live preview working in 3dsmax and I seemed to be using Vista Basic instead of Vista Aero as my window theme. I noticed sometime in the last couple of days that it was gone and now I had zero preview for a cut, not even a dotted line. There was no indication I had even clicked to start a cut. I tried updating my drivers (7950 GX2) to the latest (ver 182 I believe) but this didn't help. I uninstalled these drivers and re-added the ones that vista uses be default for my card (the 178s) and now at least I have the dotted line back.

Does anyone have any experience with nvidia, and this cut tool preview feature? Is there a better name for this feature that I could be including in my google searches? Thanks.

Replies

• glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BAH! After several driver re-installs, rollbacks, updates and setting changes, I've realized that the preview I'm talking about only occurs on Editable Poly, not Edit Poly. Ridiculous in the same way that only Edit Poly has the Inset function.

Some days I just feel like destroying computers.