Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Starcraft Gauss Rifle

First time posting my work here. I think the highpoly is about done, unless someone has major issues with it. It's a gauss rifle from starcraft (the terran marine's rifle). I drew reference from a few different shots, but the main ones were this wallpaper and the last page of this PDF for the side view.

I just realized looking at these images that I forgot to do the fire selector knob, the manual shell ejection lever and the gakk on the front below the barrel. I'll do that next. I'm planning on making a low-poly version and baking normals, but I've only done this once before and I'm not sure what sort of polycount I should be shooting for. The last time I shot for GoW specs and ended up around 1800 tris. I think I'd like to make this one higher qualtity, perhaps closer to FPS specs, so I was thinking around 5-6k tris? Too much, too little, just right?

Also, should I stick to baking tangent-space normals, or go object-space? Object-space seems to be better overall, but it's not as commonly used it seems. Do I want to show people a better quality final product, or that I can bake out the type of normals they're used to seeing?

sc_shot1.jpg
sc_shot2.jpg
sc_shot3.jpg

Replies

• nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Glib great work so far, you seem to have a very clean high poly there. In general you did an excellent job following the refs I would say minus the things you mentioned such as the fire mode switch and some of the details in the front of the gun. My biggest concern is that since this gun was designed for a RTS game or cinematics and not a first person shooter it lacks alot of visual interst in the areas that a player of an FPS would see the most. So even though you have this awesome highpoly its still a somewhat boring design for a FPS gun. So unless you realy think you can making some crazy cool textures you might want to think about taking some liberties with the design and make it more appealing. But again great work so far.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    It looks good pretty right on, good for modeling practice for sure. I sure wish I had such detailed plans for every prop I did!
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Hey there.

A nice start you have there. Although I would suggest a few things for improvement:

you highpoly looks like the main parts of the gun are totally build from one piece. but a real gun consists of many seperated parts out together and fixed by bolts and stuff. So to get the look a little more realistic I try to build this gun by modelling the serperated parts and stick them together. just like a real gun would be put together.
    I expect this to give the model more shape and "realness". I'm not sure if it will make a diference on the normalmap, but I'm pretty much expecting it. At the moment your edges where on part should stick into another part of the gun are pretty much beveled, which gives it the looks that everything is one solid shell. Reducing those bevels or modeling each parte seperately will make the gun look better imo.

At last I would consider to rename the gun. as I see it what you have here is pretty much a standard machinegun / aussault rifle which fires conventional projectiles.

If this weapon design from starcraft is supposed to be a gauss-gun than fine. To me it's just a scifi assaultrifle.

As a gauss-gun I imagine some kind of railgun thing which has a slow rate of fire but delivers a projectlie at ultra highspeed to the target. This is acomplished by Electromagnetic rails to accelerate the projectlie. As much energy is needed I expect a gauss gun to have some kind of energy kondensators, things on it.

So unless the the design is meant to be a gauss gun I ouls consider to not naming it this way.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    "you highpoly looks like the main parts of the gun are totally build from one piece."

Totally ands that my only crit, the modeling is quite badass
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    If you look at the wallpaper, you can see that they have som bevelling going on in the front of the gun, and some details inte the front that you seem to have missed :) Not that it will show in 1rst person, but still... otherwise looking very close to reference :)

Slave_zero: It's the name of the gun :-P Go tell Blizzard ^^
  • Zcorpion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats one seeexy gun.... Me wAnt!! .........:poly122:
    anywayyy. keep it up!
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    There is a better ref in the SC cinematic that was modeled and the cuts for the pieces are quite a bit deeper. Good modeling so far but it looks flat in 1st person and I think it could be pushed further. The layering of the metal looks really thin. Looks close to the pdf but there is still a bit missing there.

Good job so far.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    I think some "deeper" details would do wonders to this, atm it looks very flat, as some have already pointed out. add some stuff that makes the surface interesting, even if its not in the original concept, I think it would make the model alot more interesting. Not sure if that made any sense...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now the majority of your shapes all have exactly the same width/depth for their bevels, like instead of modeling things as if they were parts, you modeled just the lines. The lines are really of much less importance, its the form that these separate pieces could have that will make it interesting.

Nearly all of the shapes seem totally random, aside from this being "gun shaped" there is very little here to clue me in to the fact that this is a firearm. This is a problem with the concept of course, not just your model, but i would have tried to take on some other refs and bring a little bit more interest to the model by borrowing from some existing weapons.

If you're going for a FPV model, this thing is way way too flat, and there isnt any interesting detail from the player's point of view. Some nicely detailed scope or something when seen from behind would help. As it is now, you basically have all of your shapes in the side view, and just the flat geometry connecting it together in FPV. Work on bringing some of these elements together in a more interesting manner.
    Also, should I stick to baking tangent-space normals, or go object-space? Object-space seems to be better overall, but it's not as commonly used it seems. Do I want to show people a better quality final product, or that I can bake out the type of normals they're used to seeing?

Its good to know how to get quality results with both, i wouldn't use OS simply because you cant get good results with TS maps, because at some point, you'll be expected to use TS maps. So dont use it as a crutch, is what i'm saying. =)
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone's crits were entirely right. The base shape was far too flat and boring, and I had done far too much with one piece of geo (which also made the original take far longer than it should have).

I also took the chance to change one thing from the concept that bothered me: that stupid, useless handle behind the front handrest. It's too small for a marine's gauntleted hand, and it was too close to the flip to be of any use. In the version used in the new trailer, it almost looks like the whole assembly was made to slide forward like a pump shotgun ejecting a shell, but the bottom rail wasn't designed to allow it to slide. I considered keeping the handle and making a proper slide, but I still don't like that setup. I replaced it with a clip ejection lever. Lifting it up will drop the clip out, it will snap back down when the new clip is inserted.

I also followed the reference from the new trailer much more closely this time. Let me know what you think (especially you EQ)!
    sc_shot4.jpg
    sc_shot5.jpg
    sc_shot6.jpg
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Way better, but this thing is clearly not designed to be seen first person :/
    Anyway good hs work.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Its still rather boring looking, you could place that thing on a flat plane and it would match the surface perfectly.
    I think you have way to many 90degree angles and flat planes, try to blend in some more organic forms to make it look more interesting, some curved surfaces would go along way in making this look interesting.
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here is a random question.

I'm guessing the slide in the middle is the breach of the rifle. But how does it work if it is lower then the barrel of the gun?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Reich: email blizzard, they should know ;)
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    It doesn't matter if the breach is lower then the barrel...that's why its fiction ;P

Some of the best fictional guns in games aren't functional in any way (Space Marine Bolter?).

I think this new render looks great. You still need to get some varing sizes in your bevels though. Right now they still seem to be the same. Thicker more defined bevels in some areas might help imo. Looking good man!
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought a 'breach' was only found in a breach-loading weapon? The shell ejection port is the panel just about the trigger, that more or less lines up with the barrel and the clip.

When you talk about bevel size, are you talking about more variation like A and B, or more variances like A and C?
    bevels.jpg

As for adding more rounded shapes to this, I think I would prefer not to diverge too far from the concept. This has always been an angular design and I want to remain recognizable. Plus I think it will force me to step up my texturing to keep big flat faces interesting.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay low poly done, mapped, normals baked.

I looked at a few unreal 3 weapon models for an idea of what kind of polycount I should be shooting for. It looked like 5-12k tris depending on the weapon. I didn't worry about it too much and just beveled what I needed to for a decently smooth low-poly. There are a lot of 90 degree corners on that model so it took a fair number of bevels, but I could probably optimize it a bit better. It clocks in at about 11.5k tris.

Diffuse and spec to come.

Mandatory marmoset screenies:
    cap1.png
    cap2.png
    cap3.png
    cap4.png
    cap5.png

Wires:
    cap6.png
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    needs more bolts, fasteners and movable parts. plus its all 1 mesh inside of another mesh inside of another and so on, having separate pieces is good thing, but you should try and make this thing look like is was assembled from a bunch of pieces. right now the whole thing just looks like it was pressed together as one continuous shape. I see the separate parts, but thier relationships need to be pushed further.

I think the front looks awesome due to the 2 big bolts looking as though they had function to hold the front of the gun together. try and mirror function like that in other parts. Dont worry about what all those parts actually do (although that could help) but just worry about hinting at some functionality. and I think it`ll sell much better!

*edit
    er, ...what slave zero said
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    Looking forward to the Diffuse and spec.
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea you can get away with breaking a lot of that up. You'll save tries and it will make baking the normals much easier and cleaner. All that strange pulling and funny normal spots will probably clean up a lot more by doing that.
  • Deathelmz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shits fuckin amazing Son