Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    First of all, many thanks for a great tool, guys.

I'd also like to know how to get higher resolution renders, beyond my screen resolution? If there's no such option, do you plan adding it?
  • monkeyscience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyscience polycounter lvl 12
    breakneck wrote: »
    I'm having material loading errors. am I doing something wrong here?
    error.jpg

the other weapon in the sample set loads just fine with materials. . .

Try the cure-all "Clean Mat List" button and/or restarting the app. You can also open up the .rig file associated with your mesh in a text editor and bind materials manually.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Ok. I just don't think my computer is gonna get this version to work... :(

Is there going to be updated versions coming out for us to try? Possibly in the next few months?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    love the app, making this for a mine shaft scene for a class, so is there a way to load a opacity map, and a spec color map????

*edit* sorry new to posting pics, how to i get it to resize? and it the glass looks like poo with out my opacity map

lantern.jpg

Spec map is full color, no need for a 2nd map for spec color, and you can have opacity in your alpha channel of diffuse, read the tutorial.txt for more info.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having material loading errors. am I doing something wrong here?
    error.jpg

the other weapon in the sample set loads just fine with materials. . .

Oh, im an idiot. I forgot to include the mat files.

I uploaded a new sample_assets.rar file, feel free to re-download(this has the fixed CGW normal map as well).
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    kk so i got most of the opacity working minus the glass, thanx for the tip earthquake, had a brain fart on the alpha in the diffuse, second one i played with the blending modes, is there an option for 2 sided???

th_lanternupdate.jpg

th_lanternalphablend.jpg
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Wish I could load up a whole scene in there :(. Will there be some kind of world editor when the game comes out?
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    twosided tends to get artefacts from what I have tested, best way it to double the polys and invert them, that's what I did on aayla (check my sample files in first post for this)
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Oz wrote: »
    Wish I could load up a whole scene in there :(.
    What happened when you tried? I got a block of new york in without too much difficulty and it was still really quick and usable.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i got a few artifacts from floaters, and i tried turning cull of and the mesh did look so hot
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    just tried it out for the first time, took me 30 mins to just get used to it but I have to say its really nice and easy to get models in there, possibly alot easier than ut3 so this seems a good option for model viewing while creating textures as well as final shots, can we render big images like those massive ut3 screenshots?

heres a pic from me testing it with an old model
    dpmonkey.jpg
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    glib wrote: »
    What happened when you tried? I got a block of new york in without too much difficulty and it was still really quick and usable.

Yeah I ment, composing a scene within the tool, so moving objects around, scaling, rotating etc.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Oz wrote: »
    Yeah I ment, composing a scene within the tool, so moving objects around, scaling, rotating etc.
    Ah I see. Personally I like this better, as I'm always more at home in my 3d app than I am in some (often crash-prone( 3rd-party editor. New controls, new shortcuts etc just slow me down. Being able to build it all in max then get it really quick in engine? That's sweet. Far faster than unreal and WAY faster than the last place I worked (required a minimum 6-10 minute rebuild of the game).
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I'm really grateful for the help, but updating the drivers didn't fix it, and I think I'm giving up on this one.

Cheers!
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so im still lovin this :D love how it has spec color, but i still wish it could take spec color maps, sometimes i have more than one color in my spec color maps. simple pickaxe i busted out quick for my scene for class

pickaxe.jpg
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so im still lovin this :D love how it has spec color, but i still wish it could take spec color maps, sometimes i have more than one color in my spec color maps.
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Spec map is full color, no need for a 2nd map for spec color, and you can have opacity in your alpha channel of diffuse, read the tutorial.txt for more info.

:)
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im just saying it would be nice for a spec color map for better accuracy, like i said my spec color maps have more than one color, normally just 2 colors. still love this faster and easier to view models in than ue3
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    kite212: not sure what you mean... how can you get "better accuracy" by having multiple coloured specular maps? What's wrong with a single map containing all the colours you need? o_O
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Mop I think he means a map for specular value (black and white, shades of gray...) and a map for flat specular hue (no shade, just big flat colors per material)

But yeah a RGB spec map contains both hehe :P
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    the app opens up with a dialog box for me, titled "darkest of days", no text, just "yes" and "no" buttons. clicking "no" quits instantly, a "yes" brings me to the blue menu screen.

so far i didn't manage to display a model in the viewport of the mat editor - no matter if self-imported obj or one of the example weapons - screen stays empty at all times. applying materials to surfaces, rotating around, loading a sky, changing mesh scale, playing with output parameters in the "render" tab don't change that. log window doesn't show anything out of the ordinary.
    the skylight editor seems to display and work fine on the other hand.

happens on: xp-32 SP2, quadro fx, dual xeon's, dual screen config.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is there more skies to download?
    how do the skies work?
    are they hdr images?
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol im retarded mop, that is what i meant one map with multi colors, it was late when i posted that
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im just saying it would be nice for a spec color map for better accuracy, like i said i have a few spec color maps with more than one color, normally just 2 colors. still love this faster and easier to view models in than ue3

Two maps doesn't give you any more accuracy, you just have to get used to doing it with one, really, its a lot more convenient when you get used to it.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i did mean just one spec color map >_< but if i can afford it i use a spec level and color
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    just tried it out for the first time, took me 30 mins to just get used to it but I have to say its really nice and easy to get models in there, possibly alot easier than ut3 so this seems a good option for model viewing while creating textures as well as final shots, can we render big images like those massive ut3 screenshots?

heres a pic from me testing it with an old model
    dpmonkey.jpg

Yes, there is a huge screenshot feature. By default i think screenshot is bound to f12

If you do "setscreenshot res 4096" in the console(~), you can set the output resolution. This is also limited by your graphics card, i've had problems exporting 4096's with AA and AF on(just exports a black image sometimes) so test it out, and see what the max you can export is. It doesnt have to be 2048, 4096 etc, it can handle any res, usually when i cant do 4096 i try stepping down to 3500, 3000, 2500 etc until i find one that works.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp wrote: »
    the app opens up with a dialog box for me, titled "darkest of days", no text, just "yes" and "no" buttons. clicking "no" quits instantly, a "yes" brings me to the blue menu screen.

so far i didn't manage to display a model in the viewport of the mat editor - no matter if self-imported obj or one of the example weapons - screen stays empty at all times. applying materials to surfaces, rotating around, loading a sky, changing mesh scale, playing with output parameters in the "render" tab don't change that. log window doesn't show anything out of the ordinary.
    the skylight editor seems to display and work fine on the other hand.

happens on: xp-32 SP2, quadro fx, dual xeon's, dual screen config.

Hmmm might be the quadro, there hasnt ever been any testing on quadros. Seems like a couple people have gotten that DoD error tho. No idea wtf that is about.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Yeah. Awesome. Really easy to use. But all my models look like crap in it :D Textures are not at all tweaked ^^ But I will definatly try to use it :D EQ, your guns looks so awesome *fondles guns*
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Ged : in the command ( pull it down qwith `) write :

set screenshotres 2048 or 4096 etc.

doh posted same time as EQ !
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    just to clarify its:

set screenshotres 4096

doh posted same times as Johny
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Wehey, not too shabby :D Awesomeness!
    marmoset_generals.jpg
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Hmmm might be the quadro, there hasnt ever been any testing on quadros. Seems like a couple people have gotten that DoD error tho. No idea wtf that is about.

i was testing this on the computers at school, and i got the darkest of days error as well. the computers run quattros . . . hum . . .
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice snefer, are you gonna put your desert wander in as well?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok yeah, i'm gonna go out on a limb and say Quadros are officially *not* supported.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    must be an issue with the quadro drivers, im tempted to mod my drivers to see if firegl cards dont work either
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Mop I think he means a map for specular value (black and white, shades of gray...) and a map for flat specular hue (no shade, just big flat colors per material)

But yeah a RGB spec map contains both hehe :P

yeah i use spec level, and color maps, whats an rgb spec map, you have an example, i might be way off on this, but for the apps spec i put my spec level map in, the theres a box for color of the spec, i change that it adds the flat color, but from what youre saying i can use a rgb spec map to get the results i want
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i was testing this on the computers at school, and i got the darkest of days error as well. the computers run quattros . . . hum . . .

I get the error also, but I'm running an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 512mb(1028 hyperthreaded) version with T7500 Core 2 Duo at 2.2ghz and Vista 32-bit. Maybe Those specs are just too low for the tool? Although I wouldn't assume so, since it is a dx10 card with shader 2.0 support, but maybe I'm wrong?
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    can you tell what operating system is supported by the Maya exporter plugin.

i tried exporting with the maya 7 plugin in xp64 and maya crashes

also, is the "stoogeExport_maya80.mll" for maya 8 or 2008 ?

i tried that on maya2008/xp64 and the plugin didnt load.

exporting obj doesnt seem to create material chunks.

test:

Bigred_Marmoset.jpg
  • eboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eboy polycounter lvl 10
    Oh wow. Just noticed this thread. Awesome stuff guys, thanks for sharing this.

I'd always seen those Marmoset renders in the past and thought how sweet they looked. When I get a spare moment I look forward to really trying it out!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    can you tell what operating system is supported by the Maya exporter plugin.

i tried exporting with the maya 7 plugin in xp64 and maya crashes

also, is the "stoogeExport_maya80.mll" for maya 8 or 2008 ?

i tried that on maya2008/xp64 and the plugin didnt load.

exporting obj doesnt seem to create material chunks.

test:

Bigred_Marmoset.jpg

Should work fine with xp32 and xp64, havent tried on vista. The thing is you need maya 32 bit. 7 is 7, 8 is 8, and 9 is 2008 IIRC.

Any more info on the problems with OBJ and material chunks? I havent tested this a whole lot yet my self, but its not surprising there would be issues. Different apps seem to export object names differently. Make sure you're seperating objects, not just applying different materials to different chunks. Tho i dont know if that would make any difference to an OBJ.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Medestruit wrote: »
    I get the error also, but I'm running an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 512mb(1028 hyperthreaded) version with T7500 Core 2 Duo at 2.2ghz and Vista 32-bit. Maybe Those specs are just too low for the tool? Although I wouldn't assume so, since it is a dx10 card with shader 2.0 support, but maybe I'm wrong?

That system should be perfectly fine. The only cards we have really thoroughly tested are nvidia gforce, namely 6800-8800 series. Also vista was never tested much, so that could be an issue as well.
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll try to just re-download it and try again. I might have just been a retard. It was 5am when I tried installing both times -_-
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    works fine with my phenom 2 x4 2.6, 4 gigs of ddr 1066, and ati 4850 512
  • eboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eboy polycounter lvl 10
    I'm sure it does.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we should make a thread called, post your marmosecks pics
  • morte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great pics guys!
    But after small test I'm wondering if it is possible to have specular color map and specular power map simultaneously?
    edit:-> my bad i already found tat info in tutorial.txt
    And is there any way to add a glow map?
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just to post info:
    works solid on my Vista 64bit machine, however the .mll exporter didn't load in maya 2008 64bit. Installed 32bit maya and it works perfect!
  • [Deleted User]
    quickie

woody.jpg

I like it a lot, very easy to use. Some of the skymaps are just useless though.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks for all those responses guys. Im educated in the art of giant marmoset screenshots now hehe :)
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok after some sleep i have cured my retardation and noobish ways when it comes to using color spec maps :poly142: sorry for all the stupid posts :'(

screenshot2.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dont forget that you can change the light on the scene, by using shift click
This discussion has been closed.