Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    very kind of you guys, thanks
  • Farfarer
    Hot damn! Thanks, guys :D

I've been envious of all your model shots for ages.
  • pestibug
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    This is very sweet guys, thanks tons! :)

No prob getting my gorilla in the engine, only I seem to import the mesh without smoothing on it? exporting from max to .obj. Somehow hard edges are still showing trough. I tried different settings for the export but this keeps coming back I'll have to have a good look at this thingy.

Aside from that, straight forward stuff! Very nice editor and loving to mess with the materials and render part.

whoop, edited for finding out how to see multipel meshes. I lurvs this editor!

Anyway very sweet stuff, this is a blast!
  • Medestruit
    Mezz wrote: »
    Seems really awesome!! Thanks for it.

Unfortunately, I got the OpenAL error too. I downloaded the latest fix posted here, and finally it loaded... but not RIGHT. I see what must be the start-up screen, but no text shows up, only blocks where letters should be. None of the buttons that appear to be there work. Even more alarming, it makes weird beeping noises as it tries to start up...
    Help?? :)

Same happened to me.
  • Sa74n
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    awesome :) finally a release. can't wait to try it out
  • ColinR
    Offline / Send Message
    ColinR polycounter lvl 9
    Cheers for this guys. And yes, your postings of model shots previously have looked really awesome.

Looking forward to giving this a little go. Thanks a lot. :)
  • peppi
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Hot. I shall check this out.
  • StJoris
    Rock! Thanks for releasing this, let's hope it makes my art better!
  • erik!
    Odd, I can't tell what I'm clicking on as my cursor seems to be offset somehow. I think I'm clicking on the diffuse button in the mat editor, but no luck. Only when I click about two inches below the actual button does the open dialog box show up. I tried added a spec map, but ended up moving the sliders just above it.

Also there seems to be some sort of clipping going on here:
    monkeytroubles.jpg

Other than the cursor thing and the clipping, it seems to be working fine. Thanks!
    Oh, it would be cool if I could resize the window or at least maximize it.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    oh yes! this looks excellent thank you so much
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    This is pretty cool, was able to load a few models without too much trouble, and they look pretty nice in here.

Are you guys still adding stuff onto this? I imagine you obviously have most of what you need for the game you are making, but I can't help wishing there were gloss maps (and emmissive I guess, even though you're workaround is fine for single images).

Great work guys.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff, thanks for releasing!

kodde: If you want to display models in max with nice shaders on them you could just get shaderfx (it's free now) and have your stuff right in the viewport without having to export.
  • ColinR
    Offline / Send Message
    ColinR polycounter lvl 9
    Getting interface problems here. Can't click through any menu's except the start one, and then it won't allow me either to go back to the start by clicking 'exit to tools menu'.

Also refuses to close when I click close program at the top right. Just sits there and idles. The programs log though is still updating the fps.

I'm running a 19" monitor with a vertical res of 900, not sure if that would be the problem at all. *shrug*
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    erik! : check the resolution in the config files,the offset cursor thing can come from here I think.

I'll post samples in a few
  • ColinR
    Offline / Send Message
    ColinR polycounter lvl 9
    Got it working now, damn should read stuff more. Was same issue as erik!.
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Thx a lot! This is my new favourite toy! :)

What is with the ambient map slot, it doesnt seem to work!?

Would be great if there would be a different supported mesh format like fbx for example. With obj. i often get random errors in my mesh.
  • vik
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    That`s super nice of you 8monkeylabs, cheers
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    the ambient map is mostly used for stuff like lightmaps/GI pass on posed models/environments, it's very slight on characters but really really working well on enviros
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks again, I was trying to load it at work and installed fine, loads up fine I see the menu screen click on a button and crashes the app. I get the "Toolbag.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I got it working at home though. :) Thanks again.

Looked at the toolbag_error.log

Physics SDK creation failed, wrong DLL version?
    Physics SDK version: 2.8.1
    Physics header version: 34078976
    Physics: scene not valid
    PhysicsNode::setEnabled() createActor() failed
    Physics: scene not valid
    PhysicsNode::setEnabled() createActor() failed
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    this is awesome, im so excited.
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    there we go , lill' samples. most work better with shady02 as sky, don't forget to tweak the shadowdistance to fit your needs, etc

extract in base folder, with path info

modelsamples.jpg

LINKY !! : http://www.artbyvahl.com/VahlMarmoSampleModels.zip
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    i cant maximize the screen.
  • bounchfx
    it's in the config file, above what resolution you want. it's not recommended
  • osman
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks, I've been waiting for this one :).
  • EarthQuake
    pior wrote: »
    Nice move!! If only every company could do the same...
    About the strange material behavior, I do remember some time ago when I first tried the Bag (:D) there was some issues already.

EQ, is your engine guy interested in user feedback? I know that you guys don't really provide support for it since it's an inhouse thing, but still just wondering.

I remember I eventually managed to load a custom model and texture but iirc there was some trick / workaround involved.

They're open to feedback, but as of now have like less than no time to impliment new features etc. Most important thing now is finding serious bugs like the OpenAL thing.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    I tracked down my crash to only happening when I click on the particle editor.
  • GoSsS
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    i cant maximize the screen.

Rtfm ;)
    Vahl explains it some posts above : "check the resolution in the config files,the offset cursor thing can come from here I think."

Excellent viewer btw, it'll be the perfect app for the renders of my DW IV. Thx a lot!
  • EarthQuake
    Davision3D wrote: »
    Thx a lot! This is my new favourite toy! :)

What is with the ambient map slot, it doesnt seem to work!?

Would be great if there would be a different supported mesh format like fbx for example. With obj. i often get random errors in my mesh.

The ambient slot is for the 2nd uv channel, so if you dont have a 2nd uv channel it likely will not work.
  • EarthQuake
    Dekard wrote: »
    I tracked down my crash to only happening when I click on the particle editor.

Ok got for this one you need to install the latest PhysX drivers

Try this here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.0203_whql.html

I'll also add both this link and the OpenAL link to the main post.
  • GetAwesome
    Offline / Send Message
    GetAwesome polycounter lvl 14
    Hey guys,

This is Mark from 8monkey. Just wanted to let you all know we appreciate the feedback so far. To answer a few of your questions - Yes, we encourage user feedback and bug reporting very much!

EQ is doing an awesome job so far monitoring the thread. We'll be popping on here at least once a day to check things out as well. If anyone has any major bugs to report and they want to email us directly, feel free to send it to: toolbag@8monkeylabs.com.

SLUM - Amazing cannon work. It's an inspiration to all as to what Toolbag can do to the average model.
  • MattW
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    This looks awesome, can't wait to give it a spin this weekend.
  • monkeyscience
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyscience polycounter lvl 12
    rasmus wrote: »
    Hehe, am I the only one getting this error? On startup the whole thing seems to die when "loading image 'base/sky/sunny07/sunnyotaargus_skybox_ldr_shuffled.tga' from disk ..." Looking in the folder there is no such file, so I tried copying the non-"shuffled" version of that .tga (a hulking 36Mb file) and renaming it, but to no avail!

Other than that, great news :)

Rasmus, that file is actually generated from the non-shuffled 36 meg beefcake on the first successful run. Your crash is likely unrelated to that image. Feel free to email toolbag@8monkeylabs.com and attach the .log files.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    doooope thanks guys, this made my morning today. always good to be finding some free sex for the eyes :P Ill try this out when I get home really interested in trying out the particle editor.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Ok got for this one you need to install the latest PhysX drivers

Try this here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.0203_whql.html

I'll also add both this link and the OpenAL link to the main post.

Thanks works like a champ! :)
  • movento
    Offline / Send Message
    movento polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for releasing this.
    For some reason i can't find the toolUser.cfg file anywhere,could someone upload it or so?
  • EarthQuake
    movento wrote: »
    Thanks for releasing this.
    For some reason i can't find the toolUser.cfg file anywhere,could someone upload it or so?

It should be in /toolbag_deploy/base/interface/ if you cant find it in there uploading it wouldn't be of any help. You may need to run the app first, just so it auto-generates these files.
  • jerry
    Is there no gloss map slot?

Otherwise killer app. The features on their own might not be very spectacular but the combination results in pure sexiness. Thanks 8ml.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Thank you, 8 monkeys! Everything is really pretty in Marmoset, that's for sure. I'm not half as impressed by Vahl as I used to be ;) .

I've got the same problem that movento has; no toolUser.cfg in base/interface. The odd thing is that I've been running the application for the entire day now.
  • EarthQuake
    Jerry: no gloss map, if you want separate gloss settings, you can split your mesh into different chunks and give them different materials.

Zwebbie: Have you had the app open the entire day? Try closing the app if you have.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    EQ: Some weird stuff in the samples pack you released, for example why is the normalmap 4096x4096? It was clearly baked at 2048x2048 and up-scaled...

Also, why do the normals for the little painted thingy look like this:
    cgw_normals.jpg

Those normals don't make any sense, surely they should be a perfect match with the underlying shape and just have bumped-out edges, currently it seems like that patch of normals is pointing closer to straight out horizontally instead of curving around?

The diffuse and spec are really nice though, and in general it's a great looking gun. Dunno why you have that giant 50mb 4096x4096 TGA bloating the download size though, it looks identical at 2048x2048, and is only 16mb at that size.

Edit: After playing around with the editor and viewers a bit more, it's certainly capable of producing very nice previews.
    The light / sky examples are really nicely set up, they make stuff look nice. Although that sunny one blooms like crazy, can barely see anything when that's used, it's just all yellow/white glow!

However, there are a lot of things about the UI that really aren't very good. Sliders everywhere with numbers next to them, and no way to manually type in a number? I played around with the Mesh Scale slider and couldn't get it back to 1.0 ... it kept sticking at 1.01...

I got a crash after going to the Material viewer, then clicking Back To Tools Menu, then clicked on the Sky editor. Didn't happen 2nd time round though.

Are the textures compressed at all here? It doesn't look like it... so while it's nice for showing off high-detail stuff, it's not actually an accurate preview for how it's going to end up when seen in-game? Or are you not compressing any textures in this engine (i can't believe that!)?

I'm getting really nasty banding artifacts on all sorts of surfaces, too. It shows up very clearly on lighter surfaces, noisy/darker diffuse textures seem to hide it a bit better. Is that just my graphics card or something? I can get a screengrab if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Also, having a console running in a separate window in the background is so 1990s! :)
    Then again, so is not being able to dynamically re-size the window, and editing .cfg files to do this is so ghetto... also clicking the X in the top right to close it doesn't work :(
  • Unleashed
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    awesome, gave it a quick shot at work but got wierd artifacts, I think its the work pcs graphics card though(ati x1900)
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    EQ and the gang, your my heroes for today :) love how simple it is, never got one of these viewer to work before ^^;

too bad it wasnt in time for the mini comp

final3.jpg

final2o.jpg
  • ericdigital
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    This looks awesome! Can't wait to dig into it :)
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    nice model and texture, jonas... but what's with all those banding artifacts and stuff? shadow problems?
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote:
    Zwebbie: Have you had the app open the entire day? Try closing the app if you have.
    That's not it either, I've restarted it pretty often. I also reinstalled it twice now, but to no avail.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I have the same banding issues (have I been hit by every glitch this program has atp? :p ). Depending on the direction the shadow is cast they seem to get more/less noticeable.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah it's the shadow,, really wanted the shadow ^^; so kinda took my eyes of that,, if the shadow worked a bit better it would kick ass, well it might just be my model though.
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Shadows tend to work differently depending on the sky you use, Shady02 is very good for everything that has skin, although very bright, it produces awesome shadows, also the shadow drawdistance should be tweaked for each view angle/distance for best results.

Don't hesitate to play with postFX aswell, bloom can be easily controlled that way, thus reduced, same with contrast and saturation, color balance, etc, there are really a ton of options to play with.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i listened to your tips before and used the shady02 sky, didnt really get away from those shadow problems though no matter how much i tweaked the distance and all there is, it was like fucked up shadow or no shadow. I'm no expert ^^; got nice shadows with EQ's weapons though.
This discussion has been closed.