Home General Discussion

Who else thinks gears of war 2 had awesome writing?

Joseph Silverman
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
This is totally irrelevant, but it vaguely relates to videogames so indulge me, alright?

I could write a lengthy essay on how insufferably arrogant the general gaming public is about the content of videogames, seeing as it's something that i always find pretty ridiculous and there's quite a lot of material to cover.

Basically, videogame fans, more than any other area of entertainment, seem to think if a game is not in line with their own personal expectations it is a tremendous failure.

-Resident evil 5 is bad because you can't move while shooting, as if the developers designed and balanced a traditional third person shooter and then just ran out of programming time or something, instead of it being a part of the game design.
-MGS4 has a ridiculous plot, as opposed to just heavily stylized (and melodramatic!) storytelling. This one always gets me -- would you go to a broadway musical and then come home and write forum posts about how nobody, i mean nobody, would break into song at a time like that?
-[your favorite game's sequel] is a horrible game!

But really, i want to focus on one particular game for the sake of illustration. Gears of War 2. It had an AWESOME plot.

Whereas GOW1 was a stilted, misfired attempt at a serious war story in the midst of an unintentionally hilarious setting, GOW2 took all of the absurdity of the Gears universe and ran with it. This is a world where the military has invested all of their money in hulking men who's armored suits (and heads) shrug off bullets like rainwater but are instantly cleft in two by a small, rudimentary chainsaw. This is a world where nothing is streamlined or efficient, everything seems to run on diesel fuel, and if it moves, you can (and are advised) to gib it.

What the hell purpose would serious, well written, thought provoking dialogue have served in this world? It's spectacularly ridiculous -- why shouldn't the characters be just as over the top? And so we have cheesy one liners, we have gritty war dialogue with the GRIT cranked to 10000%. We have a two man team abandoning their mission and jeopardizing the entire fate of humanity to preform a head on assault on the capital city of the monstrous enemies (instead of just sneaking in disguised) because one of them was upset, and his bro wanted to help him get revenge. Cause that's just what bros do.

Does anyone here really, really, think that the writer was the ONLY person in the world who couldn't tell what they were writing was silly? Maybe, just maybe, the game is ridiculous and over the top on purpose. So why say the story sucks just because you can't take it seriously? Games can have deep, subtle plots, games can be art -- but not every game that isn't is an accident or a failure.

Replies

• Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I thought Gears2 had a better then average story for a game. I still believe video games have a really long way to go in terms of story. As for my favorite game sequel being a horrible game? Don't get me started but to name a few: Diablo2, Half-Life2, Fallout3, Forza2(lol I know, but i just love that game) etc...

I think for me the best story in a game was Mass Effect. You don't hear much about this game anymore, but I had a blast with it. It didn't feel over bearing, it had a nice pace (depending on how you played I guess).
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your broadway analogy falls apart. Criticizing an entire genre like musicals would be more like attacking a whole genre of games, like FPSes. The criticisms are just as patently ludicrous is each case.

Being pissed off about not being able to move in shoot in RE5 is more like yelling at the TV during contrived crap situations in the latest Saw movie (they're also at 5 now aren't they?).

Oh and for an example of better writing that still fits the style of gears of war? Look at what they do with the god of war franchise. The plot is interesting enough, they find plenty of opportunities to make the main character badass (frankly doing a much better job than they do with the COG) and the characters have simple, yet believable motivations.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Mariaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Haha, no.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glib wrote: »
    Oh and for an example of better writing that still fits the style of gears of war? Look at what they do with the god of war franchise. The plot is interesting enough, they find plenty of opportunities to make the main character badass (frankly doing a much better job than they do with the COG) and the characters have simple, yet believable motivations.

The style of gears of war as you imagine it, or the style of gears of war as it is written and produced?

Because God of War has a very different tone than gears.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i vote up mass effect for story as well, it was awesome.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    it was a fun game
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    As for my favorite game sequel being a horrible game? Don't get me started but to name a few: Diablo2, Half-Life2,

Ugh? You don't like shining examples of game design? One the pinnacle of the oldschool online action-rpg, and the other one of the best designed games in recent memory?
    I could write a lengthy essay on how insufferably arrogant the general gaming public is about the content of videogames, seeing as it's something that i always find pretty ridiculous and there's quite a lot of material to cover.

Basically, videogame fans, more than any other area of entertainment, seem to think if a game is not in line with their own personal expectations it is a tremendous failure.

Seems to me you're arguing the old "you can't appreciate it" angle, which is mostly wrong. If enough people whine it means the dev messed up, not that those people are "insufferably arrogant".
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto wrote: »
    Seems to me you're arguing the old "you can't appreciate it" angle, which is mostly wrong. If enough people whine it means the dev messed up, not that those people are "insufferably arrogant".

I'm more specifically commenting on the people who expect it to be something it isn't than the plain old 'can't appreciate it'. If you go looking for cliche'd, campy space marines and find Gears isn't up to par then sure, the Devs messed up. But people expected it to be a gritty military shooter ala cod4 and continue to critique it as such are more of what i'm getting at. Expecting a product to deliver is one thing, expecting a product to deliver something entirely unrelated to its subject is another.

Personally i didn't think there were enough weapons in gran turismo, but you know.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For some reason "E Hole" and "REAVERS!!!" got really annoying... but I do agree that Gears 2 had amazing writing AND ART! I can't wait until I get a new xbox (mine broke) to play it again.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The plot's no better than Doom's or Quake's.

And the actual writing is pretty awful. GoW2 moreso than its predecessor thanks to the whole "Dom's wife" subplot, which was especially cringeworthy. But then, that's not what the game's about. No one plays games like that for the story or writing in the same way people don't watch action films for the same reason.

If you want a truly great script (and voice acting!) go play Bloodlines. Then you can see what DiMaggio can do with good writing as opposed to GoW's attempt ;)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I felt the story in gears was fine. It didn't interrupt me having fun, too much. A good friend of mine once told me, "Sometimes the way the story is told is more interesting than the story itself." This approach would seem a more natural means for creating "good story" for a video game.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I felt the story in gears was fine. It didn't interrupt me having fun, too much. A good friend of mine once told me, "Sometimes the way the story is told is more interesting than the story itself." This approach would seem a more natural means for creating "good story" for a video game.

I agree with that. I find that when I go back to an old game the story is really bad but at the time I thought it was good. I guess it also shows how we are evolving.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I thought the writing in the first one was good for what was there. I wanted more story, but the dialogue worked great for me. The 2nd one was good as well, but again, I would've liked some more story explanation. I agree with OP that it's meant to be over the top and ridiculous and there's nothing wrong with that.

Could have done without the Maria subplot, though. It felt tacked on and unnecessary.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    good game...but I thought the story was pretty lame. As were some of the setups ie: you're a group of hardarses who've been killing the shit out of everything, yet when you confront the queen, you decide to chill an just talk to her rather than instantly trying to kill her.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i thought it was awesome that he finds his wife turned into a zombie and Phoenix is too bored to feign reverence.

And in the following combat Dom seems oblivious to the fact that he had shot his zombie wife in the face. He's like "dibbs!" as he grabs ammo.

I wish he'd said "sup bitches!!!" as he shot his wife in the face and executed a perfect active reload.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    haha, that's funny dolemite.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    sigh.....to sum up in 2 minutes how I feel about GOW2

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/470146#
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I almost shat myself with laughter, brilliant!

I've just been waiting for my Queers of War 2 fix, anyone got anymore cool stuff like this that ridicules us? :)
  • fullofclovers
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    If I wanted a story I would read a book.

It's the gameplay that is the interesting part.

I don't care if ts a badly written as xena warrior princess or hercules as long as its fun to play

The first gears was kind of fun, but It crashed a bit and would keep losing my profile.
  • glib
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAHAHAHAHA... that cartoon was great.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    WHERES MY WIFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFE!?!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i like this article: http://www.offworld.com/2008/12/conservative-christian-group-s.html
    apparently 'cole train' is a codeword for group bumming?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Not so much an example of good writing as so-bad-it's-good writing. And hey, I'm down with that. Army of Darkness is one of my favourite movies.

You want an example of genuinely great writing in a video game? And there have been a few examples, but a game that really grabs you and rubs your face in it and shouts "yeah bitch, check out my great writing!"
    alg406.jpg
    It's never been rivaled. Given the sheer density of the writing alone, not to mention the philosophical musings and genuine pathos, I think it'll probably be a long, long time yet before it's bested.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Planescape: Torment is such a gem. I think I've played it start to finish at least 4 times since it came out. Every couple of years I get the urge again and load it up. Someone put out a patch/hack a while back that allows higher resolutions as well, which is pretty nice.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Not so much an example of good writing as so-bad-it's-good writing. And hey, I'm down with that. Army of Darkness is one of my favourite movies.

Thank you, Army of Darkness is a perfect example of what i'm getting at. Would anyone here critique AoD for its lack of subtle plotting or believable characters?
  • jec1183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jec1183 polycounter lvl 18
    I think in terms of the style of the game the writing fits perfectly. I do however believe the writing in of the rookies death wasn't well thought out. Yes the rookie was the witty comic relief and Cole is also the witty comic relief so when Cole entered the picture one of them had to fall. The only problem I have with this is they gave the rookie a dying wish. If they carry it out in the next game then it works out, but as of right now they kind of just brushed it off right away kind of like Dom's wife. Once again the game was short and left me wanting more. Probably a good corporate standpoint money wise given the fact that there is most likely going to be a third game.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    I think they tried to do too many sub-plots. It was like they were trying to make some epic story and just kept shoveling the drama in. All the sub-plots started off interesting but then when you meet the queen the whole game turns into a downhill suck fest and leaves you with a ending that doesn't close anything. It was the first Xbox game where when I finished it I dropped the controller and said WTF! out loud.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    Thank you, Army of Darkness is a perfect example of what i'm getting at. Would anyone here critique AoD for its lack of subtle plotting or believable characters?
    Hell, no. I love Army of Darkness. But I'd also be the first to admit that it's plot and script are awful and cheesy.

Just because Gears has an action-film standard plot in an action-film standard game doesn't make it a good plot, merely a fitting one.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I don't see why Gears 2 got so much bad press for its boring story. I thought it was a great story, I really did. Really worked for the game. Compare it to say, Killzone 2, and it at least has a plot.
  • [Deleted User]
    I don't think merely fitting the game makes a story awesome or great, any more than if I made a box with 20,000 rivets and panels and stuck it in gow2 it would be a great model. Unless those rivets and panels were really aesthetically pleasing or something.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice Odium. I WONDER HOW MUCH MONEY MICROSOFT IS PAYING YOU TO SAY THAT!!!!
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    They don't pay me in cash, they actually pay me in golden bears.

They did used to give me straight up cash, but I would go out and spend it on sweets anyway, so this is better for both of us.
  • Codeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There was a story? Oh yeah the bromance detween Marcus and Dom. Boy thats hot , glad they killed the fish.

"I just can't quit you." - Marcus to Dom ;)
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    I just imagine that I'm shooting some evil capitalists. Makes it more fun. :)
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Codeman wrote: »
    There was a story? Oh yeah the bromance detween Marcus and Dom. Boy thats hot , glad they killed the fish.

"I just can't quit you." - Marcus to Dom ;)

Did you miss the point to this thread. You shall be shunned from ever setting foot in this thread again!

Oh and as for the bromance... Marcus will come to your house... headbutt you to the floor... and take a dump on your chest.
  • Codeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talbot - The point was the story and I thought it was crap, but the game was a blast. However your definition of bromance is awfully violent. You might want to get that checked. :) :P Besides, Dom is the kinky one, Marcus is vanilla.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talon wrote: »
    Hell, no. I love Army of Darkness. But I'd also be the first to admit that it's plot and script are awful and cheesy.

Just because Gears has an action-film standard plot in an action-film standard game doesn't make it a good plot, merely a fitting one.

So wait, let me get this straight. A plot which is fitting and appropriate for the subject is bad, but a deep, intellectual plot which was not whatsoever appropriate for the game would be good?

I like to think that when you're taking multiple elements of entertainment and combining them together them all fitting properly is a decently high priority.

Codeman, not reading posts is the #1 way to be cool.

And that bromance was touching, see 'We have a two man team abandoning their mission and jeopardizing the entire fate of humanity to preform a head on assault on the capital city of the monstrous enemies (instead of just sneaking in disguised) because one of them was upset, and his bro wanted to help him get revenge. Cause that's just what bros do.' above.

Only better instance of bromance in videogaming was snake and otacon's manly hi5 handshake hug after emma dies in mgs2.
  • [Deleted User]
    So wait, let me get this straight. A plot which is fitting and appropriate for the subject is bad, but a deep, intellectual plot which was not whatsoever appropriate for the game would be good?
    Putting words in mouth?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaskad wrote: »
    Putting words in mouth?

Actually i didn't even read your post, tbh, i'll go back and argue with you later if you're so starved for attention. Why are you taking a thread about GEAYS OF WAR so personally?
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought Gears2 had a pretty good storyline. It's not EXACTLY my thing, but hell... It had a lot of personality, which is more than I can say for a lot of other games.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I like to think that when you're taking multiple elements of entertainment and combining them together them all fitting properly is a decently high priority.
    No, it's merely fitting. It's by no means a good plot, it's just a very generic vehicle for guns and explosions and general machismo. That doesn't make it a bad plot... it just doesn't make it great. And certainly not "awesome" by any stretch of the imagination. Like I said, it's no better or worse than the plots for Doom and Quake.

I love action movies and 90% of the time I'll gladly ignore the plot and enjoy the sheer style of execution - it's the core point of such films and it's the point of games in the same vein. Take Shoot 'Em Up as a good recent example; stylish and action-packed to the very last but the plot was ridiculous nonsense (although, the actual script was pretty good - unlike GoW).

Same way that the plot for Army of Darkness is pathetic but the script and cheesy B-movie atmosphere help pull it off. I can and will forgive and overlook a stupid/cliche plot so long as the script is well written and entertaining - and GoW didn't manage that for me. It's writing falls on it's arse and as a result the plot falls down with it is pretty much the point I'm making.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    When I played gears 2 I was indeed captivated by the story. I never felt that it was entirely believable... I still find myself to this day asking how the hell the Locust stayed hidden underground quietly and unseen while humans totally colonized the surface of the planet for apparently hundreds of years (judging by the aged architecture).

Either way, it was an extremely FUN game and the writing matched the universe the game was held within.

I'm with Cojax on Mass Effect being best game story ever told.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    The entire time I was playing the GEARS story, I was really just waiting to form a group of friends for hoard mode.

There's nothing spectacular story wise.

If I were to guess, I would say they decided the entire art direction of the game, and had a bunch of concepts and characters nailed down before they even had a script. Then took a look at all the badass art they made, and tried to write a script around that.

It's still one of my favorite games, but the story isn't anything that stands out in my mind as being outstanding.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I dont know about you guys but i play gears to saw shit in half and shoot things with my buddy in co-op. Story, not at all. As long as they keep sending badass monsters my way i´m happy. :)
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    writing was meh, single player gameplay was meh, shooting gallery with bullet soaking enemies.
    COD4 beat this both gameplay and storywise imo.
  • Codeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jox - I completely agree with you. It felt like they put together a bunch of concepts and set pieces and then tried to write a story around it.
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    Never seen game with a better story then this
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5G0i1MR_L8[/ame]
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    okay, gears is a great game, but the story is atrocious. i would put it on par with the mortal kombat movies. but if i want a sci fi story i read some phillip k dick, i dont play video games, i think games are a horrible vehicle for a story anyway, games are all about the lowest common denominator and moving units, and gears did a great job of that. but i dont think we will see that many great stories in games, on par with the stories in books, because books are gay and the people that play gmaes for the most part haven't picked one up since dr. suess.
    i read every day, i love to read, but i dont want to see Hemingway or Tolstoy in my games, i just want to play something.

"smells like toejam and ass and chesse and ass and shit and butholes in here"
    my favorite quote from Madame Bovary one of the greatest books of all time.oh wait no it was from gears, i get the two mixed up all the time.