Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

GOW Grenade

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
Here is a little GOW grenade I did over a couple of days. Hopefully I will be able to get around to the lo poly and texture it. I found the concept on IGN. As always crits and the like are always accepted and appreciated. Thanks....

grenadeimagecopy.jpg

Replies

• Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great man. But I will give you a critique might be a bit nitpicking: the spikes compared to the concept are lengthier, make them stockier. As for the pipes that are holding the head with the chain, if you look closely one is higher then the other 'A-symmetry.' And for the end piece you can grab your verts and squeeze 'em down from one end.

It honestly varies how much you/ people hiring you care about that much perfection when it comes to copying a concept, I know for the larger object it definitely matters but for a grenade that will be tossed right away, it's personal preference =P
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Great start so far but there are a few things I would change to your highpoly before projecting.

Some of your shapes need to be exaggerated more. Ultimately both ends of the piece. The back end looks like it has more curve and depth to it compared to your highpoly. It looks very flat atm that could help it a lot.

The other shape I would change is the head of the grenade. If you look at the reference the head kind of curves around and wraps around the top of the grenade like a shell. Yours looks like you just extruded out and out and out to form your shape. I think making that top as a separate piece will push it a lot farther then where it is at right now.

If you do decide to go with the shape you have already on the head of grenade then I would fix up your model so it doesn't show every cut in the curve leading to the top of it.

Keep it going!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    if you're looking to closely match the concept, you're pretty off. having them next to each other makes it pretty clear were they diverge. basic proportions are off, major shapes aren't there, you're locked into your radial symmetry which they clearly went out of their way to break, etc.

if you consciously gave it your own spin, it looks pretty good. I would still beef up the spikes and the chain, though. the spikes are laughably frail looking.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    it looks good at 1st glance but after a few seconds the differences from what makes the concept so badass and whats holding yours back begin to really show. mostly is proportions: almost every area could do with some added thickness, the little thing on the end of the handle, the chain, and the tube things on the head all look really frail.

The cool thing about the head on the concept is the asymmetry and the way it looks thick and reinforced with the supports that you made into tubes. it looks like you could cave in someones skull with a swing of it as well. plus it would have chunky shrapnel when it exploded.

it looks pretty decent as is but it really doesn't match the concept I would tweak a few things before callin'er done. nice work so far man.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks pretty good. some things i would change would be like everybody said, the thickness of the chains/spikes.

another major thing that was the first thing i noticed was the shape of the head of the grenade.

theyre encompasses the grenade more, yours is just half (actually less) of the nade.

Gow2grenade.jpg
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys thanks for the crits. I think I hit most of them. Zero I took a little artistic freedom on the head part. I didnt feel the shape in terms of it reading properly, I did add a cover to it though, a helmet type piece. I also thickened the chains and the the thing as a whole.
    let me know if anything else doesnt look right.
    I did take some pieces and created them to make sure they read so I didnt stick 100% to the concept maybe 90% or so.
    grenadeimage2copy.jpg