Home Technical Talk

3D Scan Data DVDs

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys!

I work over at Gentle Giant Studios and work on scan data all day. I know when I was in school I was looking everywhere to get my hands on good data for reference and random mesh transfers. I asked my boss today if he was interested in putting out a DVD or making some downloadable content geared towards gamers -- hands, faces, bodies and random objects. Does this sound like something people would want to buy or use? What kind of stuff would you like to see? Any input is appreciated!

Replies

• Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
    I've always wanted access to high quality scan data. Being able to see the raw surface detail without color getting in the way would be a great way to study subjects. All the scan data I've seen has been pretty crappy quality though. Can we see examples of what type of quality we are talking about?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, if its good quality, there is a market for it. If its an awful mess, i doubt it =)
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll see if I can snag a few generic screen grabs of some of the scans I have. The scans usually range from 300K polies all the way up to 10 million polies. We were thinking about going pretty mid to high res ... most likely in the 500K - 1M range. It will get you the general form and some basic pore detail.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    We have our own scanning facility in house here, and it's really awesome. I'm not a modeler so I can't speak firsthand, but I hear it can save a ton of time for some things. I don't really know much about it, but I know they can scan anything from clothing, to rocks, surface texture, and even large objects like cars.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    I'd imagine it'd be useful for retopologizing even if the quality isn't the best.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    hehe funny thread, i'm currently working on my own 3d scanner, have the first 1 camera scans working, need to get 2 cameras to work but had no time to do that yet so far my best scans

3dscan_02.jpg
    smaller holes back then because of bad calibration, bigger holes because of the missing second cam

automatic reconstruction with meshlab is crazy cool o.o :

3dscan_02b.jpg

3dscan_02c.jpg

and a newer scan of a sweaters arm

aermel.jpg

scans are getting better with each scan, learned a lot about all that stuff, need to get it production ready though, maybe it can save me some time when doing cloth for generic characters

but to stay on topic, yes guess there is a market if its easy to work with data
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    jesus neox thats awesome.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    if i get two cameras working and with good results i'm definitely buying one mannequin per gender, i know i'm losing detail with distance but i'm more interested in wrinkle forms then webbing structure of the cloth anyways. big prblem is that most mannequins are posed to look good, damn i want unposed ones ^^

@rapture: what system are you guys scanning with? It's better then my selfmade scanner for sure, just curios :)

same question for slum
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Dunno if this should be in P&P, moving to Technical Talk.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    in my experience, what you want from scans is the actual shape of your reference with medium-res surface detail with a well-lit hi-res texture sitting bang-on. texture being the main thing you'd be after. also, geometry as clean as possible, allowing you to throw it into zbrush for editing, for instance.
    fine details like pores or wrinkles and the like are not the time consuming part to create manually or 'crazybump' afterwards and they also don't sell the model, especiall for output into games.

and lastly it's just way easier to work with light scans than geometry-heavy monsters with bazillions of polys.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Neox: we have three different types of scanners. I mainly work with the data once the scanning crew obtains it but from what I understand we have cyberware, minolta, ATOS and LiDAR. I've worked with data ranging from tiny clay sculptures all the way up to giant buildings and everything in between. From what I have seen there is pretty much no limit to what we can scan since the lasers are so intense and the lenses are so wide.

Neox's scans are a decent example of the resolution we generally provide ... maybe a little more dense depending on the object. We also fill the holes with proprietary software and smooth the seams in ZBrush so the scans are water tight.

Looks like we got a pretty positive response so I am going to see if I can push forward on this project and maybe get you guys some freebies :) Thanks for the response!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    sexy systems i'm lacking the money for a real one :D Konika Minolta would be awesome ^^

looking forwarrd to the samples :)