Home Technical Talk

3Ds Max Biped crash

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Davision3D polycounter
This bug makes max crash all the time:
I have a Biped skeleton that is animated, i have linked the Bip01 (root bone) to a animated dummy to see how my run animation looks when he actually moves forward. The bip01 already has some animation keys that go up and down.
But now when i want to animate some more up and down i simply cant but animateing sideways works. When i try to click in the timeline of the bip01 it always crashes! Also when i deconnect the bip01 from the dummy i still have the same bugs. Like the connecting to the dummy destroyed my biped for forever.

Any idea how i can fix my biped? And what the proper way is to link the biped to something?

PS: Im useing max9

Replies

• Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My sincere suggestion is to export your animation as BVH, create a rig with PuppetShop (www.lumonix.net), and use that instead.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I really dont want to rig and skin my char again but PuppetShop looks very interesting, i think i will use that for the future.

But there need to be a way to get around that biped bug!? :(
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I second using puppetshop from this point forward. There's no reason not to use it now that its free. It really is a great rig.

They upgraded the biped linking in 2008-09 and its not nearly as problematic as it once was. But that won't help you now will it... Since you're running on a older version you might want to just animate the COM and use "In Place Mode" to view it in place. I also suggest not using planted keys, or converting them over to free keys before using in place mode or, moving on to the next step.

Then when you're ready to call it finished and want to lock that biped down to once place.
    - Save out the fully mobile animation (motion.bip)
    - Delete all your keyframes, center your biped, set two bip01 keys at the beginning and end of your animation.
    - Save that out (position.bip)
    - Load each animation into the motion mixer on their own track.
    - On the Motion track use the filter (right click "All") to turn off the forward/back motion
    - On the Position track use the filter, to turn on only the forward back motion
    - Compute the mix down, apply it to the biped, and turn off mixer mode

It also sounds like you might have a corrupted biped, which I think you should recreate from scratch. Bake and save out your skin weights, and when you're setting up the new biped avoid copy and pasting poses from the old biped, I've seen it transfer the corruption.