Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi Environment: Chambers

vik
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
vik polycounter lvl 13
A futuristic environment I`ve been working on for my folio. Crits as always are welcome!

Unreled shots (some shots are slightly less saturated&tinted compared to the rest, which is a postprocess effect in the editor I was experimenting with)>

93010259.jpg
82012882.jpg
43264963.jpg
81920440.jpg

Wires
67686196.jpg

I changed a few things from the concept (made by Zoran Cvetkovic) but generally, tried to stay close to it and recreate the mood and atmosphere of the painting>
chambersbyzoranc.jpg

Replies

• Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Nicely Done sir! Good likeness to the concept, and well executed. I'd like to see some textures [spec especially, or some shots without the post effects], if you don't mind. :)
    I think the windows could use some more grunge, and maybe make a simple skybox and be able to see through the windows would really give this that extra pop to make it SUPER amazing.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice- are those chambers(?) finished, some contents would be nice plus fix the shading around them. you also hve a couple of other sgading issues dotted sround
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    looks good, but I had a hard time determining the scale of this space at first. I then noticed the steps, but other clues might help. Also, if the steps are normal size, it looks like I would have to walk very carefully over the lower grated floor.

I too mistook the "chambers" for windows. The concept shows a little more noise or something in them, to show that you aren't in fact looking outside. Yours are a little plain, so I thought it was just a sea-green sky.

I also think you're not benefiting from the amount of light that those look like they should be putting off. The chambers themselves are very bright, but there is nearly no projected light into the rest of the scene. Look at the concept again and see if you can drag some more of that light in. That will also likely help to defeat the "windows" issue, as the light will be so heavily colored.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I agree with Tumerboy about the scale. Especially the grates. Even in the concept, they are wide gaping holes that I would fear treading upon. However, it does allow to expand the space beneath the floor adding another element which I really enjoy! However, I really like the pattern differentiation on the floor as opposed to the tiled texture in the environment renders. Maybe make a couple more small polys and re-use some UV space to break it up. I think you'll have to keep those holes in the grates that size. Making them smaller eliminates the elements beneath the floor. Other than that, it is a killer looking vibe! Good job!
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking pretty awesome! The design confused me when looking at your piece, there appears to be a pretty narrow hallway leading to a stairs that lead to...nothing? When checking your concept I found out that those other doors are accessible because the stairs seem to be a sliding one, wonder why you took that out and made it fixed? If you want to take some creative liberty with the piece I'd say make the scene more "readable" by emphasizing the door at the end of the long hall, creating a visual hierarchy between 'main entrance' obviously because why else would you make a long hallway go to it? And the side entrances accessible by a sliding ladder.
    Technical execution is already top notch, love the colours and shiny grungy metally-bits.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    looks very good to me.
    However, it does to seem to stay close enough to the sketch.

I think the problem is in lighting and what is seen behind windows. Basicaly, when looking on the sketch it feels like there is a liquid behind windows. in your case it feels like a green sky. It feels too transparent and does not have enough density in your case. Also on the original skecth window glass has some sort of "frost" effect on it (maybe it is a layer of slime). That adds complexity and interest to windows. In your scene window surface is rather simple and monotone.

Finally, it would be cool to have some light around windows. Right now there is not enough connection between outside and inside. Tweaks to lighting should fix that. It does not feel like the inside is lit by the light coming from outside.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Very well done. Excellent work my friend. :thumbup:
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    nice dude- I think the thing that you might want to push further is the texture/shader/material on the green doors. right now they are a bit over powering. Also some darker darks in the surrounding areas would help push this a bit closer to that concept-

Also I find it intresting everyone is reading those green panes, as windows to an outside area. I knew you were shooting for some sort of statis chambers but maybe that's due to the thread title? at any rate, some sort of hint at some contents to these chambers might help your case- (plus thats the most fun part of doing a stasis chamber scene! whats wrong with you!)

awesome work man-
  • Stubbs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stubbs polycounter lvl 17
    I really like it. The various little lights like by the stairs make this scene soar.