Home Technical Talk

Creating group heirarchies in Max2009?

Ghostscape
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
I could swear I did this before on this mesh, but I just spent an hour trying to figure out how I kept fucking up my mesh. I have a many-jointed "leg" for my high poly that I was grouping into different leg segments. I was then trying to parent each group to the previous group. I didn't notice it immediately (because Max didn't appear to be updating the group brackets correctly), but every time I parented a group with select and link, it would actually merge the groups together (actually looked like it was putting the child group into the parent group).

I got around this by creating a bunch of dummys at the joints and parenting each leg segment group to each joint dummy, and then parenting the dummies into the proper chain. But there has to be a simpler way? Did I fuck something up somewhere? I could swear earlier on I had been able to parent groups to each other without it merging the groups.

As for why I'm repositioning my high poly...I had to re-UV my low poly, which was already posed in a rest pose, rather than my original exploded bake pose.

Replies