Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steampunk watch

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys!
Been quite some time since the last time I posted here. Been really busy with my internship and real life stuff. This is the first personal project I've had time with in ages. :P

I wanted to make something steampunk-ish for a steampunk contest on deviantART, so I googled steampunk and I found this really cool watch a japanese guy made.

punk1.jpg

This is what I have so far on the highpoly. Before I go on to texturing this one, I'd love to hear some feedback from you guys.

30tkh15.jpg

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Rated Rrr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rated Rrr polycounter lvl 17
    wow, i think you hit all the major parts of what makes this watch cool (and even adding a few things that make it cooler). There's a few small things that are different but I like the outcome still. Can't wait to see this textured, good work.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Sweet work there bro! I see ur using ur new rendering technique...awesome!
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    very nice, also... nice portfolio
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    wow thats an awesome lookin' watch, modeling looks great, any chance of snaking a peek at the non sub-d version?
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    the leather straps looks more bulky and sofer around the edges than what you have modeled. Also the hooks holding the watch face itself seem a bit thicker than what you have. really sharp looking stuff so far. will be nice to see some textures =)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the leather straps looks more bulky and sofer around the edges than what you have modeled. Also the hooks holding the watch face itself seem a bit thicker than what you have. really sharp looking stuff so far. will be nice to see some textures =)

Thank you,
    you have a good point. I wasn't sure on how to go about modeling straps. But I might come around to change it before I move on to texturing.
    wow thats an awesome lookin' watch, modeling looks great, any chance of snaking a peek at the non sub-d version?

Thanks man! Yeah, I love the design of it. I gotta buy one! :D
    The non sub-d? You mean the unsmoothed one or the lowpoly? I haven't made the lowpoly yet if that is what you meant.
    alexk wrote:
    very nice, also... nice portfolio

Thank you, I'm really glad you like it. :)
    c0ldhands wrote:
    Sweet work there bro! I see ur using ur new rendering technique...awesome!

Thanks man!
    Yeah, I got tired of not having a standard rendering technique, so I sat down one day and tried a few different techniques. It's really nice to see that I can present my models in a proper way finallly. If you want I can show it to you?
    Rated Rrr wrote:
    wow, i think you hit all the major parts of what makes this watch cool (and even adding a few things that make it cooler). There's a few small things that are different but I like the outcome still. Can't wait to see this textured, good work.

Cheers!
    Haha, I'm glad I didn't mess up entirely. ;)
    Oh yeah, I'll definately post the textured version here. I'll most likely post wips of it too. I feel my texturing isn't keeping up with my modeling, so I can use all the help I get. :)

Thank you all guys!
  • Rated Rrr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rated Rrr polycounter lvl 17
    Disting wrote: »
    Yeah, I got tired of not having a standard rendering technique, so I sat down one day and tried a few different techniques. It's really nice to see that I can present my models in a proper way finallly. If you want I can show it to you?

I'd like to see how you set it up, it's always nice to see other peoples methods.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rated Rrr wrote: »
    I'd like to see how you set it up, it's always nice to see other peoples methods.

This is how I do it. I use maya though, but I'm sure it's not that different in the other application.

I create a Blinn material (not sure what the equivalent materials are called in the other apps) with a very low Eccentricity and high Specular Roll Off, and the colour is mid-grey (default in Maya).
    I render 3 different passes. The default pass, ambient occlusion pass and a specular pass.
    Also, the lighting isn't the same for all my scenes. I do a lot of test renders to see what looks best and make sure I get the highlights where I want them.
    Then I open them in photoshop and put them in layers in this order (top down):
    Specular (Linear Dodge (Add))
    Ambient Occlusion (Multiply)
    Default (Normal).

Sometimes I duplicate the specular layer and adjust and edit it to get the result I want.

Oh, and a good trick is to always render in a higher resolution than what you're aiming for in the final image. When you down-size it go to "Image -> Image Size" and set the size you want. Also at the bottom at that dialogue set the method to "Bicubic Sharper". After that you can do a "Filter -> Sharpen -> Sharpen" if you wish.

I hope this helped! :)
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    that is absolutely fantastic, i love it keep up the work, i can wait to see the finished product
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I think you need to beef up the leather, right now it's thickness makes the whole thing look like a backpack. Thicker the leather / bigger the bolts etc = looks like a smaller device, perhaps a watch!

(I've had the good fortune to visit this steampunk guys studio, his business card is hologram fireworks!)
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    That's sick. I love those watches. The guy has a great story too.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    you don´t want to be able to change the size?
    well.. apart of that it´s quite nice :)
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, you really nailed the original design. The high poly looks super rad.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Big fan of the steam to the punk , cant wait to see how you will transfer this for low poly and texture :D
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for your feedback.
    What seems to bother most of you is the thickness and hardness of the straps, so I decided to make them a bit thinner and a little softer. Also made the glass a little more bulgy to make it a little more stylized. Oh, and I made the butons on the straps bigger too. :)
    If you like this I'll start working on the lowpoly.
    kdl6om.jpg
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea sorry man, i meant the unsmoothed version, id love to see whats driving the final smoothed result.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here you go PixelMasher! :)

4l3ojs.jpg

Btw.. I'm working on the lowpoly now, and I'm wondering on how to go about making the spring? Just a cylinder? Won't that result in strange normals? *puzzled*
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Very nice so far but I think the straps needs to be twice as thick to get te scale right. Also the straps don't work as it is now. Don't know the name of all the different strap parts but right now they're just joined together by those metalparts. One end should go through so you can tighten or loosen. Hope you get what I mean.
    Also I think a cylinder will work just fine for the springs.
  • jayoplus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice Job on this Wiktor... Too bad I missed the thread. Next time pimp it some more :D

I think what AimBiZ is referring to is that the buckle strap is missing.

Excellent modeling man. Thumbs up.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful render, cool object. Keep at it.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I'll keep working on this as soon sa I get some free time today. :)
    Cleaning the entire house and working tends to be time sinks. -_-

Right.. So I will make the straps thicker again and also fix the buckle strap. I can't believe I missed that detail. Also I will try and add some stitching to the straps. Gonna be fun to see if I can do that without Zbrush. :)

Oh, and do you want me to add some more details to the clock part? I don't know if it's good as it is or if more details would make it better?

Thanks again!
  • Bobbeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bobbeh polycounter lvl 10
    First of all, I love this. Nice subject.

I think you should add some of the details from the face on your ref image. I think its taking some of the original charm away from it without the asian symbols and verbage.

Also, exactly what AimBiz said about the straps. Theres no way to adjust te size atm =b

I was under the impression that everyones problem with the straps were they were too thin, not too thick. Thats what I was thinking anyway o.O

More nitpicking. I want the leather circle-ness under the face to be less perfect
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    haha I too was wondering how you were going to do those springs. I see a lot of people that do coils, cables, and springs and often wonder what the thought process is behind doing a good low poly for stuff like that ;)

As far as the clock face itself goes, I might suggest making the tiny little number dots just a tad bigger simply for the sake of getting a better projection out of it.

Great stuff!
  • Bobbeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bobbeh polycounter lvl 10
    www.peperaart.com <- one of his robots has springs on the legs. It looks like he just used a cylinder for the low poly. From the looks of it you would probably want to make the wire thicker so the coils touch to minimize potential issues.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bobbeh wrote: »
    www.peperaart.com <- one of his robots has springs on the legs. It looks like he just used a cylinder for the low poly. From the looks of it you would probably want to make the wire thicker so the coils touch to minimize potential issues.

Thanks for the advice! I'm gonna try, and hope it doesn't ruin the looks of it. :)
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome! love it!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! love it!

Thank you. :)
    I'll have an update for you today.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I think this is my final high poly version. Thank you all for your feedback! :)
    9i7m15.jpg
  • jayoplus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good Work Wiktor. Much better.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jayoplus wrote: »
    Good Work Wiktor. Much better.

Thank you! Glad to hear I didn't mess it up. :D
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    orly.

Seems to look great to me. Though its strinkingly torture devicish. haha.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very cool. about the wire. i did a similar thing with a cord for a radio. mine had less space and thicker cord, but it was pretty much the same concept. normal should bake out fine,. for your however, you need an alpha map since you have so much space in between the wires. and you should make it double sided.