Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Airplane Themed Room

NoltaN
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
NoltaN polycounter lvl 15
Hey guys, This is my first post here on polycount. I'm frequently here viewing others work and figured i'd post some of my own. Let me know what you think.

AirplaneThemedRoom01.jpg

Few things that I want to rework are, the towel and the couch. The terrible plants in the vase on the left and possibly the carpet. let me know what you guys think.

Replies

• NoltaN
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I didnt realize this was a png haha, I will resubmit as a jpg later when I get home.

EDIT: Replaced png with a jpg file.
  • NoltaN
    Offline / Send Message
    C&C's welcome and appreciated!

Edit: Excuse my spam I meant to edit my 1st post :(
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Cleanest table I've even seen ;]

Their is a palm in front of the window, but the palm's shadow is not showing up on the floor (because the background is a plane I'd assum ). Just a little nitpick.
  • carlo_c
    Yeah, was wondering why those plants aren't casting shadows into the room either hehe :P
  • NoltaN
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, i never really noticed that...I'll add that to the list haha :)
  • 00Zero
    looks cool. but it is not very apparent that its airplane themed. one wouldnt know unless you told them. but still looks cool.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Really well modeled scene you have here. My only crit is that for some reason the outside environment image you have is not really meshing that well with the inside atm. I can't really put my finger on it, but possibly its because of the colors and blurryness of the image.
  • NoltaN
    Offline / Send Message
    00Zero wrote: »
    looks cool. but it is not very apparent that its airplane themed. one wouldnt know unless you told them. but still looks cool.

hey Zero, Yeah I understand what your saying...If you look closely the 'table' in the background is based on a plane tail wing and the side table is another part of an airplane. I'll have to see if I can find my reference art. I made this peice awhile ago. I didnt want to over due it, I was going for more of a modern room with peices of this furniture lol.

Its kind of a long story but I saw a news story about this furniture and decided to make the room lol :P.

Brad: I've had a few people critique the environment image before aswell, I should play around with changing it and seeing if I can get some better results.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    looking good, real time env version ftw
  • Popeye9
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    I think that if you are going to use that environment photo the objects in the distance would be a lil more blown out. If you where to take that picture with a real camera you would see this more apparent. Here is a pic of what I am talking about you can see the plants close to the wall but as things move back in the distance they get blown out.
    http://www.i-d-d.com/LDD_Marketing/SFA_Design_custom_residential_Interior_Designer_Santa_Barbara_California_Wide_9.jpg

Right now you have perfect exposure for the interior and exterior. I dont think its a big deal just what could contribute to the disconnect. :)
  • A.Kincade
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    If you want to change the rug I would recommend having rug bunched up where the table meets the ground. It'll keep it from looking really flat. Overall the piece is looking very nice. The glass looks great on the tables. If you happen to have the time, maybe do a night version to get some more mood from it. Good work.
  • Bobbeh
    Offline / Send Message
    Bobbeh polycounter lvl 10
    I'm lovin that rug.

The tiles behind/underneath the couch look like the grout is higher than the tiles. o.O? It is 3 am so I might just be seeing things.
  • aniceto
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    are you just starting out? it's a pretty good effort.
    TBH working on these kinds of scenes make me want to poke my eyes out.

what are you rendering with?

everything is wayyy too clean and the shadows are too sharp giving it that old cg look.

the lighting on the exterior building looks like direct sunlight(as if the sun is above or behind the house we're in), so you should expect the interior lighting would be 100% scattered lighting, which means soft and undefined shadows. like an overcast day when the shadows look like theyre dissapearing

as for the materials.. I'll just pick on the glass since there's so much of it in your scene :) its much too reflective. glass is glossy as hell and will have a mirror surface when there's no back lighting, but in a scene like this with plenty of ambient light the reflection shouldn't be so prominent.

http://www.jimsrusticart.com/images/furn_table_glass_big.jpg

The IOR looks off as well. if you look at the edges of glass it should appear more green due to the refraction coming through at a steeper angle, but on your material the tinting is fairly even. I dont know what rendering options you have, you might have to do some texture trickery to pull that off.

the layout of the set and the composition of the render could do with some work, but I'm much too drunk to articulate those thoughts
  • Mark Dygert
    NoltaN wrote: »
    hey Zero, Yeah I understand what your saying...If you look closely the 'table' in the background is based on a plane tail wing and the side table is another part of an airplane. I'll have to see if I can find my reference art. I made this peice awhile ago. I didnt want to over due it, I was going for more of a modern room with peices of this furniture lol.

Its kind of a long story but I saw a news story about this furniture and decided to make the room lol :P.

Brad: I've had a few people critique the environment image before as well, I should play around with changing it and seeing if I can get some better results.

There's a fine line between smacking in the face with a design, like you would in a childs room and pulling it off tastefully in an adult setting.

I admit when I read the title I thought, oh here come the cartoon propellers and plane tails sticking out of the wall... or maybe some kind of 1920's barn stormer/tinker "theme".

My grandpa and dad were pilots, their friends where pilots. This is the type of stuff we had in our house(s) growing up. Granted it was the late 70's to early 90's so think a bit more retro, but the ideas where the same. It never hit you like a sledge hammer when you first opened the door but you couldn't escape it once you looked around. People didn't open the door and say "oh I get it, cute. Then move on" They kind of wandered around and looked at stuff trying to put the pieces together. Then they had that ah-ha moment and things started clicking, it's pretty cool to watch. Of course growing up with it, kind of turned me off to it and I tend to stick to the in your face design method... but I get what you did =)

I think you nailed it as far as design goes, but you gotta work on blending your 3D into the obvious photo background world outside. If you put blinds over the windows and filtered the light, I think you'd have much more of a winner. it's still pretty cool as it is, but the disconnect kind of steals the show from the scavenger hunt. If I had to critique anything I would say add more clever design pieces.

Anywho, cool stuff do more!
  • Codeman
    Very cool stuff! I love the attention to detail and the rich colors.
  • ndichiaro
    Looks Really good. I Like the design of the carpet, but maybe make it a bit more shaggy looking since it is an area rug. Glass texture and reflection look really good. :)
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Ditto on what has been said, but if you can, model a plane sitting outside or flying in the background might do the trick. It looks like a waiting room and that was my only impression.