Home General Discussion

Looks like I may be in London UK this weekend...

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
Through a fluke chance, suddenly it looks like I may be in London (maybe Friday night)Saturday and part of Sunday.

I'll likely be busy much of the day Saturday on business, but would love to meet up with a Polycounter or two in the London area that night if it can be arranged.

This will be my first trip to England, and heck, the European continent.

Ryan

Replies

• ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    your lucky you werent planning on coming down 2 weeks ago, we've had snow for weeks a tonne of airports were shut flights cancelled etc, britian is shit at handling these things haha. Have fun in London! head down to covent garden ( a really nice area of london) and borough market- the best place for food, its sooooooooooooo sooooo sooooo nice
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Scooby, I should be available on Saturday evening, will see if I can find out somewhere decent to go - however everywhere is always super-busy on Saturday so it'd be better if we can be somewhere earlier in order to get at least standing room at a bar if not a table :)
    Would you be interested in dinner somewhere as well, or is that part of your business? There are plenty of decent places ranging from the cheap and cheerful to the grossly-expensive-but-delicious. If so, any preference for cuisine? :p
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. I'm flying into Heathrow around 11:30am, and hopefully will be out of customs and have my hire-car by 2pm. I need to make it to Essington some time Saturday evening to check into my hotel.

I'm apparently visting some kind of local amusement park called Alton Towers.

If anybody would like to accompany me there as well on Sunday, you're welcome to come with I think.
    My "business" there, no shit, constitutes riding rides, eating the food, taking vacation photos, having a good time, and then writing a report about it later.
    It'd be rad too since I'm always nervous driving on the wrong side of the road, on the wrong side of the car and have never been to the UK.

I fly back outta Heathrow early Monday afternoon.
    Ryan
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'm up for coming into london (i'm only 30 mins or so drive away).

edit: lol alton towers is nowhere near london, it's up past birmingham (it'll be about an hour and a half/2 hour drive).

but it's a pretty fun park, nothing compared to what's available to you in the states, but it's good for us here. http://www.altontowers.com/pages/plan-your-visit
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    hell me and gir have probably bumped into each a few time on the train without realising hahaha, but theme parks here are crap and terribley over priced.

I tihnk driving will be abit of a shock what with different layouts and all (not sure how much you are used to round abouts) but rememeber LEFT LEFT LEFT!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Haha yeah, that changes things a bit... Alton Towers is nowhere near me, like almighty_gir says... it's at least 3 hours drive from where I live, probably more like 3 1/2. Dunno if I'll be able to make it that far out :)

As for Alton Towers itself, it's pretty good fun, some rides are better than others, I reckon it probably has nothing on many USA theme parks like Six Flags or whatever, though.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    first time in europe and how'll have your night out at an amazing place such as... oh, doesn't that look like birmingham somewhat?

my condolences. and FYI it's not exactly part of "the continent". :)
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woops. Double post. Ignore
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, sorry. Let me clarify. I won't be at Alton Towers till Sunday. Saturday from 1pm-11pm-ish or whenever I'm free and in London proper. I just have to make it to my hotel in Essington sometime Saturday evening.

As for the cars and the roundabouts, I've spent a few weeks driving in Australia, so it wont be my first time on the "wrong side".

And, heh yeah I know it's not technically on the continent, but I think you know what I mean. First European country I've visited, hows that? :P
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ah ok that makes more sense :)
    Tully was planning on going shopping on Saturday afternoon, and I need to pick up some new guitar strings in London anyway, so we can probably meet up in the afternoon, have lunch or just a coffee if your lunch is already taken care of, and maybe do a bit of trolling around interesting London shops?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sounds ideal. If there's light, time and will, I'd love to see a few of the famous sights of London as well before I've gotta hit the road to Essington.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well i've sent you a PM with my mobile number. so if you wanna send me a txt about an hour or so before you're ready to get together, so i can get my arse in gear.

also, same goes as with mop, if he doesn't mind the extra company i'll just meet both of you somewhere and troll around a bit.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    that said, my girlfriends stolen the car today. so unless i know exactly where i'm going so i can catch the train, i won't be able to make it...

HOWEVER.

talking her into going to alton towers tomorrow should be friggin easy :P
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Still not 100% sure exactly where Scoob's going to be in London, but I usually get in to Charing Cross and strike off from there, since it's pretty central to lots of good stuff.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice meeting you guys, it was fun :)
    Sorry we couldn't have had a bit more time to spend, with a better idea of where we wanted to go, heh. Would also probably have been better if your camera wasn't broken, Scoob :(
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    just spent an hour in the car with Scoob, awesome times!

we need a UK polycount meetup! i'll put up the couple of pics i took later on. had a lot of fun!

oh and MoP, dinner is on me next time!
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    "we need a UK polycount meetup!"

QFT.....been far to long since ive taken the hop to London for a good drinking session with like minded people. :)

John
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the hospitality guys! I had a blast in London. Honestly the rest of the trip became a bit crap after that, but...still a neat experience!

As soon as I get around to developing these disposable cameras I used I'll post the 1 or 2 relevant photos I got as well.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hehe, the girlfriend almost murdered me when i forgot to mention Alton Towers...