Home General Discussion

Left 4 dead 1/2 off sale this weekend!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
If anyone didn't get a copy, or were debating about it, $24.99 is 1/2 off the usual price

http://store.steampowered.com/app/500/

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I'm debating whether to buy this now knowing I won't have a system that can run it for months...like I did with Bioshock...but that was going for a fiver...by the time I can afford a new PC, this'll probably be that price anways...hmm.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    WOW! Thanks for the heads up, I didn't care for the full price but this is a great deal!

Blenderhead is your system really that old? Its on a five year old engine...dont know how the graphical updates have made it more of a system hog but i'd assume you could crank the graphics down and get a respectable framerate!
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    If your computer can do Bioshock, it'll have absolutely no problems with L4D.

Now, this is a dilemma! I can't afford games with my current budget. But, this is really cheap and I've been wanting it for a while now! BUT, I have no one to play with... although I do have some friends online! BUT, I don't have a headset so I can't play properly with them either!

What to do?!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Was debating whether to get this on PC or 360. This sale kinda finalized it for me.

Kinda sucks, because I'm trying to do more art and less PC gaming (as Online Multiplayer PC Games don't seem to ever have an end, and I'm still struggling to kick my TF2 habit).

Anyways, wicked buy. I'll play it more thoroughly after DW4

:D
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg wrote: »
    Blenderhead is your system really that old? Its on a five year old engine...dont know how the graphical updates have made it more of a system hog but i'd assume you could crank the graphics down and get a respectable framerate!

I'm on a 1.73Ghz single core laptop, L4D seems to want a 3.0 Pentium at least. Seeing the videos, I can understand why. :) And I can't actually run Bioshock, I just bought it because it was so cheap. Will install it when I get a new system.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Fuck this is an excellent price, but yuo don't get the dvd that way... Does it matter though? Personally I would prefer to get the game with the dvd and all (if only to put it in my library) but then again I'm commited to not buying games till I get my portfolio done, so fuck it. If I were you I'd buy it.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Rox wrote: »
    If your computer can do Bioshock, it'll have absolutely no problems with L4D.

Now, this is a dilemma! I can't afford games with my current budget. But, this is really cheap and I've been wanting it for a while now! BUT, I have no one to play with... although I do have some friends online! BUT, I don't have a headset so I can't play properly with them either!

What to do?!

Seriously, the game fucking rocks. Dilemma doesn't begin to describe it, it's dirt cheap for one of the best mutliplayer games of 2008-2009 so far. And with the dlc coming... Aw lawrdie.........
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Dude.

I forgot about the free DLC.

SOLD! Or.. bought.. or both I guess.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Is there a single player campaign? I dont have 4 friends I can consistently meet up with. i have to fit it in the little times I have between asset creation to play.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When there aren't human players it fills in with NPC's making it possible to have less then 4 people or solo play. Also be sure to lock down your game if you really want it to remain solo, I think if you don't it opens it up to anyone looking to join the game. It's enjoyable by yourself sure, but a lot more fun with even one other person.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, i bought it this weekend. i knew the waiting would pay off - in your face, spacemonkey! :D
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    installing it now!
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    i still play this game a lot, and i could play it with some polycounters :D

If you want to play with me i'm in the polycount group! add me to your friend list and we play hehe
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    MoP wrote: »
    yeah, i bought it this weekend. i knew the waiting would pay off - in your face, spacemonkey! :D

i got it for £19 on release .. amazon for the win!

I seriously don't get, why buying a download is more expensive than getting a dvd!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    unlucky the other day blaizer btw (who joined our lunchtime lan session from the internet)
    i don't understand why they make that possible? the only possible result is awful unplayable ping surely?
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    hehehe i could play well, without too much lag really.

Sometimes it's impossible hehe.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Unlike games like UT and Quake, it's easy to play L4D even with 100 ping. And although I have only played it with at least one other friend, I'm pretty sure playing by myself in a team of strangers would be equaly rewarding a gaming experience.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, you say "even with 100 ping" like that's high?
    To play on US servers from Europe will give you at least a ping of 100, usually closer to 150 or above.
    You will rarely start to notice any lag or issues even up to 180 or so ping on most good multiplayer games - the times you will get annoyed are if the connection is inconsistent (jumping around between 50-200 for example) since then you'll be all over the place, things will pop in/out etc.
    I used to routinely play Q3 with a ping of 200, granted it takes a bit of getting used to but in modern games with "anti-lag" stuff the ping isn't quite so important anymore. Actually, with a lot of modern games even though they look nicer they're actually sending less information across the network because things have become more optimised and advanced.
    Just an aside, really - ping isn't as important as it used to be. It's the consistency of the connection that you should be more worried about, and most games don't really test for that at the moment in any sensible way.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    MoP wrote: »

haha :D you'll have to join us for a game at lunch!
  • ColinR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColinR polycounter lvl 9
    It's quite an amazing game.......and at this price there's no way you can pass it up really. I doubt you'll find it any cheaper any time soon after this weekend, as they're re-releasing the game I believe at retail, so the Steam version would have to be at a similar price point to that.

It's great that Valve are also releasing the DLC for free this Spring.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    just been playing for an hour, really good game but single player doesnt compare to playing it with real people in my opinion.

My only issue Ive had so far is that for some reason my computer has sometimes been disconnecting itself from the wireless network when I launch some games and I dont know why so I reinstalled my graphics drivers and that seems to have helped as I just played L4D online for 30 mins and it rocked!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColinRoss wrote: »
    It's quite an amazing game.......and at this price there's no way you can pass it up really. I doubt you'll find it any cheaper any time soon after this weekend, as they're re-releasing the game I believe at retail, so the Steam version would have to be at a similar price point to that.

It's great that Valve are also releasing the DLC for free this Spring.

Hmmm....this has almost convinced me...maybe. I have a few hours to decide. :)
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @blenderhead

Once you get a computer to run it (or even now), there is already 40+ user made maps that I have seen being created, which a search option will be added along with the free DLC. I seriously can't wait to play this prison oriented one, along with the cross town's mall one.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn it. My visa is 22 euros heavier now... :) Hope to play it someday soon.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Woot! Thanks for the heads up. Downloading now. BTW in case anybody wants to add me as a friend on Steam, I'm in the Polycount group too(same user name).
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    In related news, it seems L4D has invaded craiglist and is lonely: http://kotaku.com/5153929/w4m-m4w--l4d-
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    just saw it :D

"BIG BOOMER WANTS 2 X-PLODE ALL OVER U "
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Polycount group, eh? Alrighty. I could use a potentially friendly bunch to practice versus with once my connection's feeling better. I hopped online briefly last night, and people are apparently really serious about the whole multiplayer thing! They didn't like me. But since there's no way of practicing versus offline, it's a bit of a tricky situation.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Polycount group, eh? Alrighty. I could use a potentially friendly bunch to practice versus with once my connection's feeling better. I hopped online briefly last night, and people are apparently really serious about the whole multiplayer thing! They didn't like me. But since there's no way of practicing versus offline, it's a bit of a tricky situation.

Lol, what name did you play under?
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Bought my copy on Saturday. I had been wanting to get it earlier, but the $50 price tag had scared me off. (cheap-ass gamer for life!)

Now you see, this is exactly why Valve is on top of the downloadable games marketplace race. Other companies throw content up, slap a price on it, and think that is all that need to be done. Valve treates their marketplace like it's an actual brick-and-mortar store. And they use some of the same techniques that retailers use to drive sales and draw people in. I have a weakness for bargains and sale prices. I see that someone's selling a game I would like to have for 50% off, and that gets my attention. And now I've payed Valve $25.00 through their on-line marketplace, instead of buying the game at Best Buy or Target.

I've only played one of the campaigns in single-player mode. Very intense. I'd really like to try some of the multi-player. I want to play as the zombies!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well actually Richard, in Europe the just slap a price on. Most times you can find their stuff (and other peoples games) much cheaper in stores. This and Bioshock at Christmas were the only exceptions for me.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    t4paN wrote: »
    Lol, what name did you play under?
    What makes you ask...?

And yeah, I've played through two of the campaigns. I NEED more, but the survivor bots actually make me slightly less eager to play. And online is tricky business, especially when I have no way of voice communication and most people I've met so far are incredibly competitive. Although it's probably a lot less tense on not-versus, online gamers tend to snap when things aren't going their way... and in this game, I LOVE when things aren't going my way. I don't even wanna touch anything below Expert when all four slots are filled by actual people, because I know I'm going to die horribly in many uncomfortable ways. I want one campaign to take a whole day to even reach the end. That's how a zombie apocalypse should be!
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    What makes you ask...?

And yeah, I've played through two of the campaigns. I NEED more, but the survivor bots actually make me slightly less eager to play. And online is tricky business, especially when I have no way of voice communication and most people I've met so far are incredibly competitive. Although it's probably a lot less tense on not-versus, online gamers tend to snap when things aren't going their way... and in this game, I LOVE when things aren't going my way. I don't even wanna touch anything below Expert when all four slots are filled by actual people, because I know I'm going to die horribly in many uncomfortable ways. I want one campaign to take a whole day to even reach the end. That's how a zombie apocalypse should be!

Heh, I was a bit of an ass to a guy for not healing up and holding the group down yesterday, so it would be funny if it were you :P
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    [...]
    I've only played one of the campaigns in single-player mode. Very intense. I'd really like to try some of the multi-player. I want to play as the zombies!

Wait till you see versus mode, it's got you jumping up and down and screaming at your monitor way more than the campaign. It's the best online game I've played in years bar none.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    t4paN wrote: »
    Heh, I was a bit of an ass to a guy for not healing up and holding the group down yesterday, so it would be funny if it were you :P
    Ah, no. I wasn't doing that bad. We all made it through the first chapter without being knocked out at least. My connection was just feeling bad and the occational lag peaks were disorienting me like hell, so I ended up lagging behind quite a bit. But people were still not-assy about it. Just kindly informing me that I shouldn't play versus unless I don't suck and that I shouldn't play at all if my connection's poor. But I HAD to try out versus before going to bed!

3/4 campaigns done on advanced now, solo. Oddly, I struggled the most with the first one so far...
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Eh, you didn't know the game while playign the first and then you started learning how to do the little things, so you were able to play better on the rest of the scenarios.

Anyway, don't mind the fuckers who tell you what to do and don't. Far as I'm concerned, I'll play with anyone who's making an effort and is not being stupidly stuborn - and play the campaign on co-op, wtf are you doing playing solo :P
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    I was playing solo because my connection wasn't doing well - like I said. And I HAD to play because I'd just downloaded the game. I would've played Savage 2, but.. connection down. Couldn't surf, couldn't play my other games. So, I'm keeping it up, almost just got the last campaign on advanced but gave up after I failed the last bit on the fourth try... The bots just aren't good at not running into close combat with tanks, and that makes it a wee bit harder. Also, they like running into witches that are out of the way, too. Agh, bots.

Hey, you don't have to tell me not to mind people on the Internet.
  • _Gr9yFox_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Gr9yFox_ polycounter lvl 10
    Finally got it.

...DOWNLOADING!
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I'd play with/against you in multiplayer if you want, I like people who stay for the whole game and dont leave all the time. But I can understand some people cant play for that long so they might just log on for 1 level and then quit.

What times (and timezone) do you usually play around?

And yes there are alot of competitive people out there yelling orders and going mad when things dont go their way. Its kinda funny sometimes, like you said, things are great fun when they go horribly wrong :p But the times when things go perfectly right is also very fun. Boomer puke on all 4 and then the other 3 infected all take out 1 guy each at the same time, awesome.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    If I want things to go my way, I'll go pwn nubs in Savage 2. If I want to be taken by surprise and completely dragged down kicking while facing unsurmountable odds, I play Left 4 Dead!

GMT +1 is me. But I couldn't tell you when I usually play. So far it varies a lot, haven't found a time slot to fit L4D multiplayer into yet...

[edit] Ah yeah, yer a Brit. Won't be a problem then. [/edit]
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Anyone else notice some of the zombie death animations are really slow? I've gotten used to them and how many bullets it takes to down a zombie, but it's so drawn out as the zombie wobbles around stunned, drops to its knees, then finally lies flat.

Makes me headshot em for good measure sometimes, sometimes they just act stunned before charging.
  • _Gr9yFox_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Gr9yFox_ polycounter lvl 10
    Just got through Dead Air for the first time. Without wanting to spoil anything I'll just say the ending made my jaw drop. I can't wait to try the two campaigns I have left.

@ebagg: those animations made me spend a lot more bullets because I wasn't sure of their condition.