Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Animation Critique thread

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys, i'll be posting some animations over the next 3-4 weeks to get critiqued and blasted.

I'm focusing on animation for school, so this needs to be the absolute best part of my portfolio.

Here's a run cycle.

runtest.gif

runtest2.gifruntest3.gif

i'll get the other ones converted over to a montage MOV later so you guys can scub by frame by frame.... sorry about the quality right now.

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    do you keep your shoulders and hips still like that when you run?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I'd rather you render the loop for 20 seconds and put it on viemo or something. GIFs don't play in real time so well.

However, from what I can see, one of the largest problems with your run is that the speed at which the foot moves is not constant while it is in contact with the ground. The foot goes back about 3/4 of the way, and then slows down. That means the entire person just slowed down instantly and then sped back up again as he was running. Running is a constant speed.

The whole body needs to start rising earlier than it currently does. There should be a more continuous up and down motion, rather than quickly go up, quickly go down, then remain level for a bit, then repeat.

His left leg kicks out much faster than his right one.

Some overlapping head motion would suit this character well.

I don't think his hips are moving much at all. They don't seem to be rotating to support the support leg and I can't tell if his hips are translating back and forth over his support leg.

The right hand out stretches at an odd position, which looks ok for zombie run, but when it starts coming back, the change is too jarring and unnatural.

Nothing else for now, although I'm sure there'd be more to talk about after those fixes. And I haven't seen it in real time yet, so I can't comment that much.

Nice start, it has a lot of originality to it.

Edit: You might want to try some more normal run cycles with a basic character before you start on zombie ones.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Looks a little bit like he's punching with the left hand
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, you bring up some good points. I'll get started fixing this right away, then post a realtime video of him running.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah the right hand is what threw me off the most, in the 3/4ths view it looks like he's beat boxing.

boom chica chica
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's freestylin'... and you just got seeerved.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Left leg sticks a bit after the back stroke. Better follow through with the right when you compare in the side view.

How the right arm snaps forward could be tweaked a bit to be consistent with how it flows going to the back.

Good characterization. Good ankle rotation detail.

Head secondary looks like it's floating. Bobble head doll effect.

Left arm forward stroke follow through could be tweaked a bit more to make it look more organic. I think the overlap between bicep and lower arm could be more apparent. It's piston like with it's current motion. You could rotate lower arm slight up as it swings back towards chest. Is it an injured arm, why you posed it like that? If so, I think you can minimize it's range of motion. Sure, zombies don't feel pain but you can show lose of muscle control (assuming it's an injury or zombie induced paralysis).

I agree with the hips comment above. But I assume that's a skinning issue. If you can rotate on the z should look better.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    hah i like this.

yeah, could be more fluid.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update... Vimeo takes like 2 hours to upload something unless u pay 60 bucks.

www.virtuosicstudios.com/junk/runtest2.avi (2MB)
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    second attempt is much better hes moving his shoulders but why is he carrying his left arm like that? looks like he broke it and is wearing a cast :P
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think a little bit of vertical bounce in the left arm would solve the 'cast' problem and loosen it up a bit.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, version 2 looks improved.

Left leg is still an issue for me though. Right leg looks sweet the way you have it, but left looks like it has mind of it's own in comparison (needs slight overlapping keys). If you can watch it running a distance as opposed to in place, maybe you can determine if that leg is a glaring issue or not.

Polish for right arm could just be slight overlapping motions between upper and lower arm. You can go stiff, but slight overlap will help I think.

Yeah, I like that left arm pose. If you can make his left hand broken and "dead" with dangling secondaries you win.

Some new hip rotation there looks okay. Yeah, I can go with the head tweeks too. You can exaggerate it without the bobble effect, but right now conservative is okay. Have you done any attacks yet? That's one way where you can determine how his head or other parts of his anatomy should animate (as an individual zombie-like person). With exaggerations you can come up with in dynamic actions, you can go back to the run or other boring actions and incorporate more specific characteristics or mannerisms for his head, etc. (assuming you didn't get any prior directorial requests).
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess i should describe the character a bit.

He's pretty much a generic lab experiment/zombie... that's why he's in the blue scrubs... anyways the pose is his characteristic. A zombie/monster that has normal posture isn't interesting. So in all of his animations i'll have him hunched over like that, holding his arm at that angle... sort of like a hunchback.

I have to do 7 animations for him.

Idle, Run, Walk, Attack, Block, Jump, and Death.

I have the death in it's final stages (I dont finalize an animation without getting a critique from you guys first)... but i have reiterated on the Run like 5 times already, and it's still not done, so i have been revisiting the Idle and the walk that i have produced... I'll probably remake them.

Magic: what do you mean by overlapping motions? i dont quite understand.

Update: Here's a WIP of the death animation:

http://www.vimeo.com/3205961
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Redid my walk... it used to be really heavy, now it's a bit lighter.

If you didn't know you can open up .avi's in quicktime

http://www.virtuosicstudios.com/junk/walk.avi
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Virtuosic wrote: »
    Magic: what do you mean by overlapping motions? i dont quite understand.

wiki definition: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Traditional_Principles_of_Animation:Overlapping_action

Keth Lango tutorial: http://www.keithlango.com/tutorials/overlap/overlap.html
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    those toes slap the ground pretty hard . . .
    and that head movement reads "sassy" to me, thats the only way i know how to explain it.
    the timing of the cycles seams good. as well as the spacing of the walk seams pretty well. . spaced.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks magic, any resources are very useful!

haha sassy zombie anyone?

i'll fix the toe slap, and try to incorperate some of the overlap stuff.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys, i'm testing a format i am thinking of using for my portfolio.

Before i start i gotta give credit to Helixx for the original concept sculpt that i traced my topology for this one over.

Notes before critiquing:

Shorten the video, and make sure scales are right.

Other than that, does the layering work? should i cut parts out? should i just include things relevant to animation and rig, and ditch the stuff related to the model?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jo9jfV0eMA[/ame]