Home General Discussion

multi-core usage

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
leilei polycounter lvl 14
Hey guys I just got a DUAL CORE cpu, yeah 'good for me' I know, its about time :)

I can't think of any rad mad things to do on it that I couldn't do well on a single core.

HALP

Replies

• Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    run multiple instances of quake, each running on a different core. OMG!!
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Makes you just want to throw opacity maps on everything, hit it with some raytraced lights, and bake some lightmaps! With aggressive supersampling and lots of light bounces!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey i didnt know they made dual-core pentium 2s.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    And the comedy ensues.

-caseyjones
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Lots of fizzicks simulations in Blender!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Update your game library.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Open up notepad twice as many times.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    go to the performance tab of task manager, and squint through the two graphs until they form a magic eye picture

and let us know what you see
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Turn off multi-threading in max. And then when rendering something you can still surf with no performance hit.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ductape and two 286 processors does not mean you have a dual core system...
    Just like drawing a line down your monitor with a sharpie, doesn't mean you have dual monitors...
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks guys

Some things to say, ut3 runs like silk i can't believe my eyes I even maxed it all. D= D= D= D= also congrats to ror on that one. Too bad no one plays it and hardly anyone plays custom stuff :/
    I also love how NOTHING NOT A SECOND of delay when I press the screenshot key now!!!
    Paint Shop Pro 5 still hurls exceptions with large images and big undo buffers though and has annoying selection ants suddenly appearing where it shouldnt. Maybe its time to move onto the extreme bloated Paint Shop Pro 7.
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Hey i didnt know they made dual-core pentium 2s.

There's motherboards with dual sockets for two pentium pros and pentium IIs as well
    heard of this recent trend of DEC Alpha workstations doing all this cool stuff at once? I think id software is adapting them now! 400MHZ!!!
    Win NT5 should be out by the end of this year too. A new BeOS also. Can't wait. :)
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    Vig wrote: »
    Ductape and two 286 processors does not mean you have a dual core system...
    Just like drawing a line down your monitor with a sharpie, doesn't mean you have dual monitors...

Guess I better go find some whiteout to fix my screen then...:(

Crossing out the '2' and writing in a'4' on those processors still counts as an upgrade tho, right?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL wrote: »
    Turn off multi-threading in max. And then when rendering something you can still surf with no performance hit.

There are better ways to do this.

1. Go to your task manager, right click your app and set priority to "low". This will give other apps higher priority, but it won't strip half the performance away from max when all you're doing is reading your email.

2. Alternatively, go to the task manager, and use the set affinity function, this is very usefull if you have a quad-core system, you can check off just one core, and leave 3 cores for rendering etc. Ticking off 1 core on a dual core system would probably give the same result as turning off multi-threading, except its much more usefull to do it in the task manager, because you can turn it off and back on, while max is doing its thing(and you're unable to change settings).
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Alternatively, go to the task manager, and use the set affinity function, this is very usefull if you have a quad-core system, you can check off just one core, and leave 3 cores for rendering etc.

That's a nice tip. I've only ever used Set Affinity to disable all but one core for old applications that don't play nicely with multi-cores. I love my Quad-Core system. The only thing slowing it down is Windows.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah when i do bakes in xnormal or max i will set them to only use 3 cores. Its nice.

Also, having 4 cores is awesome, i can watch dvds full quality with no slow down on one screen and model in modo on the other.