Home General Discussion

Square Enix buys Eidos

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this just Eidos UK or does it encompass Eidos Montreal? The last thing we need is Squenix poking their fingers into Deus Ex 3.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Wow Eidos games with Final fantasy look ^^

That's a great notice!! :D
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Holy shit. That's crazier than Autodesk buying Softimage.
    Talon wrote: »
    The last thing we need is Squenix poking their fingers into Deus Ex 3.

Why would they?
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    My mind is blown.
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Now maybe they'll put some decent dev time behind the Tomb Raider games.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    i think they should just give up on that franchise, soooo bad!
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not the biggest Square fan. But Eidos has been flagging in their quality for years, floundering in increasing obscurity. I can't really see Square running Eidos more poorly than Eidos was running itself. Hopefully we'll see a bump up in quality in Eidos games from this merger. After all, production quality and polish is something that Square/Enix is known for. If they inject some of that into Eidos, than maybe Eidos' studios will have a chance to focus on experimental gameplay.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    *bear hits lara for 4 hp!
    *tiger hits lara for 3 hp!
    *lara uses magic chrystal scepter of mumra!
    *lara hits bear for 2256 hp!
    *lara hits tiger for 3301 hp!
    *bear dies!
    *tiger dies!
    *lara has earned 34 XP!

actually come to think about it, she *did use a fucking magic chrystal scepter, that shot green fucking blobs at the end boss.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I'm not the biggest Square fan. But Eidos has been flagging in their quality for years, floundering in increasing obscurity. I can't really see Square running Eidos more poorly than Eidos was running itself. Hopefully we'll see a bump up in quality in Eidos games from this merger. After all, production quality and polish is something that Square/Enix is known for. If they inject some of that into Eidos, than maybe Eidos' studios will have a chance to focus on experimental gameplay.

This! lets hope some extra finance sees more polish and higher focus on georous art :)

hopefully no layoffs :poly122:
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    tomb raider rpg could actually be neat
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    This makes no sense to my primitive caveman brain.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    two things come to mind as to why they did buy. firstly the IP that Eidos holds, at the current share price the value of the combined IP rights are probably undervalued, so they would be getting a few well known and established titles for relatively little money.

second would be reinterpretation of these titles for future releases. they are unlikely to start making changes to ongoing projects, unless they were way over budget.

The scary thing with this kind of takeover is sometimes they may saddle the company they just bought with the debt of actually taking it over. Ive seen it happen in other industries. If they do this it may lead to massive restructuring and cutting of people.

This is all just my opinion btw :P I
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder who the last giant company standing will be? Activision? EA? who~!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    rooster wrote: »
    *bear hits lara for 4 hp!
    *tiger hits lara for 3 hp!
    *lara uses magic chrystal scepter of mumra!
    *lara hits bear for 2256 hp!
    *lara hits tiger for 3301 hp!
    *bear dies!
    *tiger dies!
    *lara has earned 34 XP!

actually come to think about it, she *did use a fucking magic chrystal scepter, that shot green fucking blobs at the end boss.
    HAHAHAHAHA!
    This post just brightened up my crappy week.

-caseyjones
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth has a point. Maybe we'll see a decent camera in the next Tomb Raider?
    ae. wrote: »
    i think they should just give up on that franchise, soooo bad!

Are we talking about the same franchise? Or have you only played Angel of Darkness?
    rolfness wrote: »
    second would be reinterpretation of these titles for future releases. they are unlikely to start making changes to ongoing projects, unless they were way over budget.

All that is happening is ownership is changing hands. Lara won't be given a spiky doo now that Eidos is owned by a Japanese company.
    rolfness wrote: »
    The scary thing with this kind of takeover is sometimes they may saddle the company they just bought with the debt of actually taking it over. Ive seen it happen in other industries. If they do this it may lead to massive restructuring and cutting of people.

I forget who bought Midway, but they inherited the massive debt Midway had, and there weren't really bad cuts. Eidos is not in trouble like Midway was, not even close; they just had a little dissapointing Christmas season. Sounds to me like some entrepeneurial suits over in Japan heard about the dissapointing sales of Underworld and thought they would put in a bid.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Eidos is not in trouble like Midway was, not even close; they just had a little dissapointing Christmas season. Sounds to me like some entrepeneurial suits over in Japan heard about the dissapointing sales of Underworld and thought they would put in a bid.

yeeeahhh ... you know that SCi/Eidos have been desperately searching for a buyer for an age, closing Pivotal, whilst watching their share price tumble at a terrifying pace? .. Oh, no, you didn't
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Lara Croft will now be played as a teenage girl wielding a side arm twice her size.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    [MILES] wrote: »
    Lara Croft will now be played as a teenage girl wielding a side arm twice her size.

SpongebobYay.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Well there's your next competition - Redesign characters from Eidos' IP in Square's distinct style.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hehehe
    thinking about it, I'm looking forward to see what changes with their IP, i think things will benefit from a shake-up
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    OMG! them azns gonna change our wimmins!

like anyone of you would be saying anything of the about changing Lara into a brown and grey, muscle bound, power armor weilding, same 10 weapons using for the last 15 years stereotype if id or someone bought eidos.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr wrote: »
    Oh, no, you didn't

Thank you for stating the obvious (?) Although, you possibly didn't have to be such a sarcastic cunt in doing so. :) There are much nicer ways to tell people stuff.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    [MILES] wrote: »

already happened.
  • [Deleted User]
    I don't think I can deal with Agent 47 killing people with a sword twice his size

e/ but in all seriousness, I'll kill myself
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Legacy of Kain. There's one franchise I wouldn't mind seeing Squareified.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    blenderhead - not when you're spouting complete shit as fact on polycount there isn't. Sarcastic cunt all the way. Didn't you figure that yet? Oh, no ... you didn't ...
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Well there's your next competition - Redesign characters from Eidos' IP in Square's distinct style.

that would be awesome ! I actually like Squares character design. Yes some of it looks over the top, but you cant say it isnt top notch.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    danr wrote: »
    Oh, no ... you didn't ...

-danr uses Beserk and double burns blenderhead with same text! +10ap
    - blenderhead fails to Limit Break after massive damage -50hp
    -blenderhead receives the effect of silence
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly wrote: »
    Legacy of Kain. There's one franchise I wouldn't mind seeing Squareified.

As much as I'd like to see a next-gen Legacy of Kain game, I'd be wary as to what Square would do to it haha. A few months back there was an article on some gaming website reporting that there was a new Soul Reaver in the works, but it got canned. But, I was talking to Ian Livingstone briefly there two weeks ago, and he said that that was BS. He voiced that the developers were just curious as to what the fans wanted; a new Blood Omen, or a new Soul Reaver. I told him a next gen Soul Reaver would be great. :) Hopefully we'll see a prequel or something someday.